Adjustment to Powerplay Control Mechanics

Greetings Commanders!

Today, we wanted to share with you a bit more detail about a small adjustment to Powerplay we will be implementing in June following your feedback about how the 'control' and 'taking control' mechanics are working in the live game.

After a change in the January update, the current control systems' ethos calculations would limit its search for controlling minor factions filtered by star systems within 15LY and those that are exploited by the same power as the control system. Previously, the calculations considered all nearby star systems.

In June, we will be adjusting those calculations once more to include the governments of nearby star systems that would become exploited if an expansion action by the same power succeeded. This change will be in addition to the previous one from January, thereby adjusting the limitation on which systems are interacted with.

This change will be coming with the Fleet Carrier update to the live servers in June, so we hope that this information helps you plan ahead for your future Powerplay plans.

o7 Commanders

Just remembered that I had opened a ticket for this and the response from you Frontier was that it worked as intended. No comment.

Just remembered that I had opened ticket for this and the response from you Frontier was that it worked as intended. No comment.
Ahahah maybe they didn't understand the problem, anyway apparently they are now trying to figure out how Powerplay works, maybe they'll understand all the critical issues in the game they created but they do not understand at all... :p

Last edited:
I thought I understood this when I first read it, but now that it's being tagged as a fix for the case that cause the Mbambiva trigger issue, I have to admit I don't understand why it would fix that.

Thanks for this :) Itd be great if it works as described & we can accurately predict the expansion triggers beforehand.

The eternal optimist in me hopes this is nailing-down some of the mechanics niggles before a more profound change to the way Powerplay works, that addresses some of the big issues that plague the feature :)

Open Only for BGS and Powerplay interactions, my dream ^-^

Regarding the topic, could you please post an example or a more detailed post please?
I'm not sure I understood what it really means :(

Thanks, nice to see the P word is still spoken in FD towers! Will we be seeing additional Powerplay changes in future updates? It was a bit before your time but there was a proposal with ideas a few years ago now that 'animated' the forums...
When will we see a victory condition happen in power play and minor factions become powerplay powers?

PowerPlay is the one feature that needs to be Open Only, until then it's a worthless feature that people only use to get modules.

Make it Open Only and put all the modules on the Tech Broker then I might be interested in supporting a PP faction.

When will we see a victory condition happen in power play and minor factions become powerplay powers?

The former if FD sort out powerplay and the Galactic Leaderboard (collapse I can't see happening, since FD say removing PMFs is hard enough so a whole power?). The latter I can't see happening unless Powerplay is drastically changed.

PowerPlay is the one feature that needs to be Open Only, until then it's a worthless feature that people only use to get modules.

Make it Open Only and put all the modules on the Tech Broker then I might be interested in supporting a PP faction.

You will get bored in 2-3 weeks, then you will use the "open only" feature to hunt PowerPlayers... My estimates is PP will die within 6 months if it's made open only.
but that's another discussion.

I think that Open-only is a bit of a red-herring. What about PC only? What about Xbox only or PS4 only? Since you can't combat any of them without cross-platform being introduced, the idea of limiting the game for some players, despite their importance to the games origins, platform and finances is futile.

Why not campaign for cross-platform before you risk alienating a lot of the long term players and financiers who made ED possible, in order to please an unknown number of players who have a cob on about different modes?

I see the argument, but I think it is a lame-duck for the platform reasons given above.

You will get bored in 2-3 weeks, then you will use the "open only" feature to hunt PowerPlayers... My estimates is PP will die within 6 months if it's made open only.
but that's another discussion.
I think that Open-only is a bit of a red-herring. What about PC only? What about Xbox only or PS4 only? Since you can't combat any of them without cross-platform being introduced, the idea of limiting the game for some players, despite their importance to the games origins, platform and finances is futile.

Why not campaign for cross-platform before you risk alienating a lot of the long term players and financiers who made ED possible, in order to please an unknown number of players who have a cob on about different modes?

I see the argument, but I think it is a lame-duck for the platform reasons given above.

These kind of arguments depend on the idea that Powerplay is pretty much brownian motion of independent CMDRs acting individually.

Did you know there are playergroups constantly analysing and actively coordinating it all, and they have players across all platforms? Go-on, mention timezones, just for the nostalgia. ;)

If youre going to hang your hats on theorycrafted objections, try to have some even vague idea as to the way the feature actually operates, or youre just gonna flail about and miss the mark completely. Again.

Oh wow are we already at the point when some long-time Powerplayer asks for Open-Only Powerplay then a bunch of people that did some module shopping once but don't know a thing about Powerplay come here to tell Powerplay leadership people what Powerplay is about?

Some things never change. :p
Rememer: PvP is bad. It doesn't matter which context or if people like it, or direct or indirect PvP. PvP is bad and people asking for PvP features should be flailed alive.

Top Bottom