Alec's Elite: Dangerous Advent Calendar (3307)

Generally thought you’d have more subs with all the great videos you’ve uploaded
Thanks! Because quite a lot of my videos use copyright music I tend to publish them as "restricted" videos so I suspect that somewhat kills my subs. Plus I never really chase sub's - I just use Youtube like I use Imgur, as a place to dump videos so I can post them on the forum. I'd love more people to see those tho' if they inspire others to have fun and do stuff like this in Elite.

Thanks! Because quite a lot of my videos use copyright music I tend to publish them as "restricted" videos so I suspect that somewhat kills my subs. Plus I never really chase sub's - I just use Youtube like I use Imgur, as a place to dump videos so I can post them on the forum. I'd love more people to see those tho' if they inspire others to have fun and do stuff like this in Elite.
I reckon you should have a regular "video of the week" slot. It would be fun.

Oh on the point of video..I am not that good at this but I have no video editing skills or software, any recommendations?

Oh on the point of video..I am not that good at this but I have no video editing skills or software, any recommendations?
I just use Windows Movie Maker, which used to be free (and still might be as part of the Microsoft Windows Essentals pack). I wouldn't say it's brilliant but you can split, trim, fade in/out, add captions and transition effects, and overlay a soundtrack so it does all the bare essentials. A while back I did some research into better (but still free) video editors ... there are quite a few out there. I found a really good review video about these, I'll see if I can dig it out tomorrow.

I just use Windows Movie Maker, which used to be free (and still might be as part of the Microsoft Windows Essentals pack). I wouldn't say it's brilliant but you can split, trim, fade in/out, add captions and transition effects, and overlay a soundtrack so it does all the bare essentials. A while back I did some research into better (but still free) video editors ... there are quite a few out there. I found a really good review video about these, I'll see if I can dig it out tomorrow.
It is now part of Photos, who knew? Tried it and it seems to do some basic stuff as you say.

DAY 12 - Guardian Speed Run

June 3306 and for reasons I can't remember I'm doing another bunch of Guardian Ruin runs. Anyway, I find myself at this one site in COL 173 SECTOR OD-J B25-2 which has a really nice straightforward layout and is beautifully lit for a change and decide it would be fun to do it as a speed run and turn the whole thing into a short video that I could show to people who weren't sure how to do these. The Mission Impossible music just seemed to fit perfectly.

Source: https://youtu.be/wZHmqCsVUzw

DAY 13 - Thargoids Go Home

Somewhere in the Coalsack nebula a lone SRV driver with time on his hands delivers an important message.
His only regret?
Not choosing a planet with higher contrast SRV tracks.

Source: https://youtu.be/qP7hWfrI0Hs
That message may confuse them, if their original home happens to be somewhere between Sol & Achenar...
I mean, they just did a small field trip (a couple million years), and now some dirty monkeys have taken over their home, attacking at every opportunity and still telling them to go home?

You're right - in pardoying the Romans Go Home bit from Life of Brian I have somewhat lost sight of the facts. Perhaps I should see this as an opportunity to go and write a a full and detailed apology message using the Scorpion? 😆

DAY 14 - HUD-less night driving

It's always fun looking for new ways to experience this game, going a little bit outside your comfort zone and trying something slightly different. And so it was that I came to spend some time with Cmdr cratercamper who's a fan of driving the SRV with the HUD turned off (I know some crazy people right?). With apologies to our console brethren who may not have this facility (?), on PC if you press Ctrl+Alt+G it will completely turn off all the HUD elements. In the SRV this leaves you in the worrying position of having no idea what state your hull is in, but on the plus side, without all the distractions and over stimulation that our HUD's can provide, we're left with a much simpler experience where it's just us, our vehicles and the passing terrain of the planet surface we're on. In the low light of dusk what I was particularly impressed with (and why I decided to hit record) was the plumes of dust kicked up by the SRVs as we both raced across the planet.

Source: https://youtu.be/wWeXvAeYAM4

Last edited:
DAY 15 - Evelyn's Light

In February 2020 Cmdr @jellowiggler reached out to the Elite: Dangerous community (like so many others, a place he turned to for comfort and relief from the dark places of real life) to share the tragic news of the death of his daughter Evelyn. A deeply moved community reached back with heartfelt messages of sympathy and support.

This kind of thing is not uncommon here. We are blessed with a mature caring community and a game that people feel deeply involved with and which is important and very dear to their hearts.

Frontier responded by adding the Evelyn Faye Roy memorial beacon in the renamed Evelyn's Light system (and, in recognition of numerous other player requests to have somewhere in the ED galaxy where lost loved ones could be remembered, ultimately instigated a whole system for in-game memorial requests).

On the 2nd of February 3307 I departed Colonia (more on this adventure tomorrow) with Evelyn's Light as the first destination on my return trip back to the bubble. This is the video I made when I got there, captioned with the words of a poem (written by Evelyn) that you will find at the beacon.

Source: https://youtu.be/ElrMc4JgnDE

Elite: Dangerous ... more than just a game.

💜💚💛🤍💙

DAY 15 - Evelyn's Light

In February 2020 Cmdr @jellowiggler reached out to the Elite: Dangerous community (like so many others, a place he turned to for comfort and relief from the dark places of real life) to share the tragic news of the death of his daughter Evelyn. A deeply moved community reached back with heartfelt messages of sympathy and support.

This kind of thing is not uncommon here. We are blessed with a mature caring community and a game that people feel deeply involved with and which is important and very dear to their hearts.

Frontier responded by adding the Evelyn Faye Roy memorial beacon in the renamed Evelyn's Light system (and, in recognition of numerous other player requests to have somewhere in the ED galaxy where lost loved ones could be remembered, ultimately instigated a whole system for in-game memorial requests).

On the 2nd of February 3307 I departed Colonia (more on this adventure tomorrow) with Evelyn's Light as the first destination on my return trip back to the bubble. This is the video I made when I got there, captioned with the words of a poem (written by Evelyn) that you will find at the beacon.

Source: https://youtu.be/ElrMc4JgnDE

Elite: Dangerous ... more than just a game.

💜💚💛🤍💙
This community, and FD, do incredible things.

(I remember the day you were there, and where I was)

DAY 07 - The First Great Planetary Expedition

27th March 3305 - the First Great Planetary Expedition (a full SRV circumnavigation of Kumay in the Chi Herculis system) sets off, with well over 50 commanders signed up (just over half of whom would ultimately complete the epic 5000km journey). Among the various events scheduled over the coming weeks, we ran an ongoing screenshot competition where entries were judged every few days and the winning Cmdr then got to be the judge for the next selection. At the end of the expedition I compiled all the winning entries into the following video.

For me and many who took part this expedition is still one of the all-time highlights of my time in Elite: Dangerous.

Source: https://youtu.be/U1V2SvOBf_A

P.S. mahoosive thanks to the every wonderful @Buur and @Rheeney for covering the expedition and making far better videos than me!

My one regret in game is that I didn't make an effort to be social for this. I had a great adventure, and learned to flyve with all that led to, but it would have been so much more fun getting involved with the shenanigans.

My personal highlight (so far) of the stuff you've organised or been involved with.

It is now part of Photos, who knew? Tried it and it seems to do some basic stuff as you say.
It does but there's something important for me the photos Video Editor doesn't do that Movie Maker does, and of course it's been such a long time since I used it I can't remember what that is now to make this comment in any way useful :LOL:

It does but there's something important for me the photos Video Editor doesn't do that Movie Maker does, and of course it's been such a long time since I used it I can't remember what that is now to make this comment in any way useful :LOL:
Just had a quick look, not sure it can speed videos up.

for-those-reasons-im-out.gif

:)

P.S. looking through my Youtube watch history it seems this was the last reivew of free video editors that I watched.

Source: https://youtu.be/f1wYvQRLfek

Despite the presenter coming across like energy vampire Colin Robinson I seem to remember it was quite good and that if I was to pick one it would be VSDC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom