Alien archaeology and other mysteries: Breaking News, Theories and Tinfoil Hattery

You're considering only the speed of light. You need to factor in the chosen unit of time as well (the year). If the thargoids used the same unit of measure it would likely result in their light year being different to ours. The speed of light would remain the same, but their light year would be different due to their home planet's different length of year.

It's simply a measure of time. The fact that it's 365.2425 days, or 31556952 seconds because that's the length of an Earth year is kinda irrelevant.

If the Earth shifted orbit, a light year would still be the same distance. 🤷‍♀️

It's simply a measure of time. The fact that it's 365.2425 days, or 31556952 seconds because that's the length of an Earth year is kinda irrelevant.

If the Earth shifted orbit, a light year would still be the same distance. 🤷‍♀️

The thargoid unit of measurement does not involve time. The measure things with a unit being the distance between col 70 and Merope

What's a measure of time?

If you mean a light year, then actually it's a measure of distance.

If you mean a year, then 365 days is obviously relevant (to humans).

The point is that if the Thargoids also use light years, then it will equal a different distance as it would be based on their own home planet's orbital period.

None of the above is incompatible with the speed of light remaining at 186,000 miles per second.

Umm... no, a "light year" is how far light travels in a year. It has nothing to do with the orbit of the Sun or any terrestrial things.

It's a universal constant that exists throughout the universe - roughly 186,000 miles per second.
Not entirely accurate. Per Wikipedia:
As defined by the International Astronomical Union (IAU), a light-year is the distance that light travels in vacuum in one Julian year (365.25 days).
In this case, a "day" is very much defined against the orbital mechanics of our Sun and Earth.

Anyone asked a Thargoid what the length of their day and year is? Clearly if their times differ from the human definitions then the thargoid light year and light day/second distances will differ from human definitions of those distances.
Until we know their values for those units of time in terms of human day & year this is a pointless discussion.

I’d still like to know why Merope? Why does the UA/TS point to Merope? Why does the UP/TP point to Merope 5C? It can’t be to tell humans where to look for barnacles; (a) thargoids wouldn’t want us to find barnacles, and (b) barnacles are found in other places but no thargoid device points to those other sites. Could be to tell wandering thargoids where to look for barnacles, e.g. to refuel, but again nothing points to other barnacle sites where they have been seen “refuelling” so thargoids must know where those sites are and don’t need a pointer. There is a logical inconsistency here that has niggled me for the last 5 years! Only seems to make sense if Merope was their forward operating base, but then there should be signs of their previous presence on the planet. Would make sense if their primary nest was on Merope, but where is it?

Last edited:
No clues to Thargoid time unit from any of their tech?

Yea I agree, Merope 5C can't be due to barnacles on the planet for the reasons you said, until we had the surface probes we thought their was a slim chance we'd missed something, but surface probes proved otherwise.
So some possibilities, their is something hidden under the surface, their is something cloaked on the surface (not sure Fdev would use this, even for the Thargoids), 5C is a future meeting point, nothing atm as Fdev haven't yet finished that part of the story!

Btw, I assume their is nothing unique about the chemical composition of 5C within, say 150 LYs?

(the wall thickness around dish needs to be equal, distance in ASP around 31m, though in T6 can go up to approx 24m)
Err, up to 24m? ;)

I’d still like to know why Merope? Why does the UA/TS point to Merope? Why does the UP/TP point to Merope 5C?

This is from the Canonn discord channel, and I still don't fully understand it but.

(Anonymous person in cannon Discord): -
It's the only stellar body of it's Type
Merope 5 remains unique.
It's a Y6 V Star.

Me: - So the star of the Merope system is the only one we know of that type?

(Anonymous person in cannon Discord): -
It's not the main star. It's just a planetary body that counts as a star. Cool enough to walk on in theory of I recall correctly.
It's the only star type of it's kind.

No clues to Thargoid time unit from any of their tech?

Yea I agree, Merope 5C can't be due to barnacles on the planet for the reasons you said, until we had the surface probes we thought their was a slim chance we'd missed something, but surface probes proved otherwise.
So some possibilities, their is something hidden under the surface, their is something cloaked on the surface (not sure Fdev would use this, even for the Thargoids), 5C is a future meeting point, nothing atm as Fdev haven't yet finished that part of the story!

Btw, I assume their is nothing unique about the chemical composition of 5C within, say 150 LYs?

Edit: “Err, up to 24m? ;)
don’t blame me, I merely reported my notes on the matter from what someone said in an old UA thread!

Hi

Err, up to 24m? ;)

I think we can deduce, from the long slow build up and delay in their major invasion of the human bubble, that their concept of time is slower than that of humans!

Their version of Shock and Awe is more YAaawwwwwwwwwwwwn.
😁😁😉

Edit: “Err, up to 24m? ;)
don’t blame me, I merely reported my notes on that matter. Blame whoever said it on the original UA mysteries thread! 😉

Last edited:
This is from the Canonn discord channel, and I still don't fully understand it but.

Merope 5 being the only Y6 is interesting, but doesn’t seem overly significant. 5C looks like it’s a capturd rogue planet from its high orbital inclination. Perhaps the thargoids lost it from their home system and want it back?? 😉

Or maybe its really one of their planet-sized spaceships, covered in millenia of accreted space dust that has covered the viewports, entrances, engines etc. Always been suspicious of that huge crater with its central peak, perhaps that’s the antenna dish? 🙂

I think we can deduce, from the long slow build up and delay in their major invasion of the human bubble, that their concept of time is slower than that of humans!

Their version of Shock and Awe is more YAaawwwwwwwwwwwwn.
😁😁😉

Edit: don’t blame me, I merely reported my notes on that matter. Blame whoever said it on the original UA mysteries thread! 😉
Well, I’d have to completely agree on Thargoids (on a civilisation scale) thinking on much much longer terms than humanity.

- They’ve been round as a (highly) interstellar civilisation for many millions of years.

- The ‘Leave to Grow’ part of their ‘Seed -> Leave to Grow -> Harvest’ process is on the timescale that it takes other species to develop large interstellar civilisations.

IMHO it’s absolutely essential to reframe how one views the timescales when trying to understand the Thargoids and why they do things the way they do, and the nature of Thargoid-Human interaction.

Merope 5 being the only Y6 is interesting, but doesn’t seem overly significant. 5C looks like it’s a capturd rogue planet from its high orbital inclination. Perhaps the thargoids lost it from their home system and want it back?? 😉

Or maybe its really one of their planet-sized spaceships, covered in millenia of accreted space dust that has covered the viewports, entrances, engines etc. Always been suspicious of that huge crater with its central peak, perhaps that’s the antenna dish? 🙂
9CD0838C-4A2E-47F7-8618-11609206EBB6.jpeg

😉

Is it really unique?
I mean, there's LHS 2661 2, it's a Y6 V star, there're some Y6 V stars in the Core Sys Sector (Core Sys Sector YO-R a4-0, Core Sys Sector ZP-P a5-0), there's at least one Y6 V star in the Alrai Sector (Alrai Sector QC-V a2-3) and maybe some more with low surface temperatures.

I was going off what I was told by some person in the canonn discord - I didnt really understand it.

So, not unique then.

Change the Cmdr position to Merope! Edsm/celestial bodies doesn't seem to allow search by Y6 but does allow inclusion of luminosity (V here). The first page of results comes up with 1 i Lupi 1 and 10 Bootis 1 as Y6V brown dwarves, 1900 and 470 ly from Merope respectively.

Unfortunately Spansh/bodies search doesn't allow filtering by luminosity but does allow searching on Y6 class

Last edited:
Just wanted to say it makes me blow air out of my nose a bit more strongly every time I see this thread with "breaking news" in its title.

Carry on.

Ah, back in the good old days when UA secrets were popping up daily, spectrograms were generated and analysed endlessly, Merope 5c was eyeball searched, miltary convoys with strange cryptic messages were intercepted..... those were the days when news broke almost continually. Now even Galnet has fallen silent...
I think it’s a plot by The Club to keep the general population quiet while they cash in their ill-gotten gains and head out into the black away from the Thargoid menace...who unfortunately appear to also have gone into Covid lockdown....guess sneezing is unpleasant with spiracles 🤧

Last edited:
No tin-foil hats here, I bring only the truth:

The Thargoids are something of an allegory for the Native American tribes whose population inhabited the great plains section of the North American continent. The red-washing propaganda of the Guardians, who we assume are our betters, and who allegedly possessed a "true reverence for nature" is a load of crap. Similar to the accounts made by 19th century European historians who wrote to preserve a positive favorable account of European colonialism's legacy.

You know why we don't see any densely inhabited Thargoid worlds? And before you guess thats it's because the developers haven't had time to put them in yet. Let me tell you, it's because there aren't any. It is obvious that the Thargoids only disturb the natural order only so much as is necessary for the purposes of sustaining their species/ships. The only species with a "true reverence of nature" are the Thargoids plain and simple.

You know why, in the codex account of the Guardian/Thargoid war, the Thargoids thought they were entitled to uncontested control over the worlds in which they had sprinkled barnacle sites? It's because the land inside that pocket of space was their "home." And the Guardians had waltzed in and set up shop. The Thargoids likely have a rotating pattern for harvesting meta-alloys, not entirely dissimilar to the three field system we use on Earth-like worlds for agriculture, just spread out over multiple bubbles of space.

On a final note: Ever wonder why a space officer will immediately attack you for carrying illegal cargo, but an interceptor will actually give you a chance to drop the offending item after scanning you, before it attacks you? It's appears to be pretty self explanatory, honestly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom