Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 10 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Lets say the Bubble has 10.000 exploring commanders out there in the Black.
Lets say that there is just 1 other alien civilization except humans out there ( disregard Thargoids, Guardians and all that... )
Lets say these aliens also have a bubble of similiar size and have 10.000 exploring alien commanders out in the Black.

What are the odds that a human and an alien commander meet somewhere in the Black?

Lets say that there is just 1 other alien civilization except humans out there ( disregard Thargoids, Guardians and all that... )
Lets say these aliens also have a bubble of similiar size and have 10.000 exploring alien commanders out in the Black.

What are the odds that a human and an alien commander meet somewhere in the Black?

Very likely, even more so if they're drawn to rare/bright objects as we are (stars, nebulae etc.). You only have to look at the player traffic maps (which only track a small fraction of players) and imagine a similar heat map for the aliens, and it'd be quite unlikely there wouldn't have been encounters.

(Hope you weren't looking for precise numbers. I'm a words-guy, not a numbers-guy.)

Very likely, even more so if they're drawn to rare/bright objects as we are (stars, nebulae etc.). You only have to look at the player traffic maps (which only track a small fraction of players) and imagine a similar heat map for the aliens, and it'd be quite unlikely there wouldn't have been encounters.

(Hope you weren't looking for precise numbers. I'm a words-guy, not a numbers-guy.)
Words says more than a thousand numbers.

So we clearly have here a 3 metre tall murderous insectoid suffering from severe delusions and a multiple personality disorder. This does not bode well for any possibility of meaningful dialogue and peace negotiations with the imminent alien menace. I'll just grab my flight suit and start packing my Annie; can I have those dark chocolate Hobnobs wrapped to go please? ...:eek:

On the other hand, its sitcom, full of antics as it struggles to fit into human society, and rear its three stepchildren, is a huge hit.

SH7ZHFt.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Regarding whether the unknown sites are growing, using planetary coordinates has been proposed, but the ideas so far seem to be to sit on a part of the structure that looks familiar, but depending how growth happens, this might not be a stable reference point.

I propose using the built-in compass we all have as part of our HUD, and combining that with a single coordinate point. So in this case, land at your reference point and mark down the coordinates (in this image, the little blue dot). Then lift off straight up just a few meters. Yaw your ship to the left until your centre dot lines up with the edge of the unknown site. Note your HUD compass heading. Then yaw your ship to the right until your centre dot lines up with the right edge of the unknown site. Use the difference (in degrees) between your first measurement and second measurement. Then come back at a later time and land at the exact same coordinates, and repeat the process. If the difference between your two angle measurements has increased, then the site has grown.

This just seemed simpler to me than trying to land on top of it or using two ships.

This will yield a yes/no result. If you care to know by how much it's growing, it would be slightly more mathematic by using the distance to target and then triangulating with the angles you captured.

Apologies to all - After a review, the Canonn treasury has authorised an additional slush fund to cover all scientists' requests for extra rations.

Simply ping the Outfitter's addy via your local Galnet link with your plain choc/icing requirements and you'll be hooked up.

Re the wagon wheels: I can confirm they are the 'proper' size: Arc secured the blueprints early on as the smaller ones are "the work of the devil" as he put it.

Excellent news!

Absolutely zero, until the sector permit lock is removed! ;)

"a super large [AND SMART AS HELL] player group who collaborates to solve the mysteries of the game together and ruin it for everyone."

FTFY.

Also, tell me, how many of the Mysteries would have, or even could have, been discovered by single players in isolation? By a single player having a wide range of expertise into such arcanery as Morse Code, sonograms, audio steganography and multiple-object sequences (Guardians, UPs, US, UAs, etc)?

Nothing I've ever read of Canonn's discoveries has ruined anything for me. In fact, I probably wouldn't know about the cool things to go see without it, and I'd miss some spiffy content. When I read the Canonn research, I just hear John Candy in my head saying, "gosh, those people are smart!"

Even though I've read exhaustively about the Guardian Ruins, I am still going to do the mission, regardless of pay or bonuses. I want to see them and the worlds inbetween. Not spolied for me at all.

Last edited:
At very long last, I have compiled a little something to make completing Ram Tah's Decoding the Alien Ruins mission a good bit easier. I have compiled a rather comprehensive spreadsheet (required Excel 2010 or higher, or compatible viewer capable of displaying comments and ActiveX controls). You can download it here: https://jumpshare.com/v/lvCiPRgU36tUH1UhIaRF

The check-boxes can be ticked to mark which data you have collected and will keep a running total of how many in each category as well as the total amount of data collected.
Each entry lists the require relics, as well as an image of the obelisk cluster with only the obelisk containing that entry showing as lit. If an obelisk cluster contains more than one obelisk with the same data, then all identical obelisks are shown as lit.

It contains a list of systems and bodies, organized from nearest to Meene to furthest from Meene, allowing for the shortest possible route to complete.

And finally, each site in each listed system shows the coordinates of the ruins and includes a comment image of the site itself and is color-coded for easy reference.

I would like to take a brief moment to thank The Cannon and Nusantara for all the resources that made this pet project possible.

And if you do not have a version of Excel, you can get the Microsoft Excel Viewer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10 which does support comments.

If you use this spreadsheet, or any part thereof, I ask that you give proper credit to the author (that's me), and.. this is the big one - if you would, see how quickly you can complete this mission (101 of 101 scans) and share your total completion time.

Good hunting, and may your equations always balance!

Last edited:
At very long last, I have compiled a little something to make completing Ram Tah's Decoding the Alien Ruins mission a good bit easier. I have compiled a rather comprehensive spreadsheet (required Excel 2010 or higher, or compatible viewer capable of displaying comments and ActiveX controls). You can download it here: https://jumpshare.com/v/lvCiPRgU36tUH1UhIaRF

The check-boxes can be ticked to mark which data you have collected and will keep a running total of how many in each category as well as the total amount of data collected.
Each entry lists the require relics, as well as an image of the obelisk cluster with only the obelisk containing that entry showing as lit. If an obelisk cluster contains more than one obelisk with the same data, then all identical obelisks are shown as lit.

It contains a list of systems and bodies, organized from nearest to Meene to furthest from Meene, allowing for the shortest possible route to complete.

And finally, each site in each listed system shows the coordinates of the ruins and includes a comment image of the site itself and is color-coded for easy reference.

I would like to take a brief moment to thank The Cannon and Nusantara for all the resources that made this pet project possible.

And if you do not have a version of Excel, you can get the Microsoft Excel Viewer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10 which does support comments.

If you use this spreadsheet, or any part thereof, I ask that you give proper credit to the author (that's me), and.. this is the big one - if you would, see how quickly you can complete this mission (101 of 101 scans) and share your total completion time.

Thanks for your effort CMDR, and REP.

I've took the liberty to link your post on the Front Page, in THE GUARDIANS section.

So we clearly have here a 3 metre tall murderous insectoid suffering from severe delusions and a multiple personality disorder.

Bingo! We chase many shiny things at once. The latest Canonn Mystery, The latest Rift Mystery, and always keeping our third eye on Raxxla. Only the crazy go looking for it!

FTFY.

Also, tell me, how many of the Mysteries would have, or even could have, been discovered by single players in isolation? By a single player having a wide range of expertise into such arcanery as Morse Code, sonograms, audio steganography and multiple-object sequences (Guardians, UPs, US, UAs, etc)?

Nothing I've ever read of Canonn's discoveries has ruined anything for me. In fact, I probably wouldn't know about the cool things to go see without it, and I'd miss some spiffy content. When I read the Canonn research, I just hear John Candy in my head saying, "gosh, those people are smart!"

Even though I've read exhaustively about the Guardian Ruins, I am still going to do the mission, regardless of pay or bonuses. I want to see them and the worlds inbetween. Not spolied for me at all.

It has not spoiled anything for us either. That is why we "put it in quotes" because that is what people on the forums complain about. Although in times of new discoveries some canonn players froth at the mouth and go running out there intent on getting their 5 minutes of elite fame for a first discovery, not caring who they hurt along the way. Just listen to the most recent broadcast about the people unlocking the US "Star map" At the end of the broadcast it starts to break down with people demanding credit for the idea or execution.

+rep, great job! Time to get Shwifty. WE LIKE TO TYPE IN BOLD AS WELL

It was this Stream but it cuts off before things happen. The stream continues on twitch with the 5 people inside. We are currently searching for a link but it is conveniently missing.

It was continued on MiekHawk1969 Twitch feed which we cannot access at our current location. It is probably lost to the annals of history, and our hive minds.

Last edited:
At very long last, I have compiled a little something to make completing Ram Tah's Decoding the Alien Ruins mission a good bit easier. I have compiled a rather comprehensive spreadsheet (required Excel 2010 or higher, or compatible viewer capable of displaying comments and ActiveX controls). You can download it here: https://jumpshare.com/v/lvCiPRgU36tUH1UhIaRF=

Nice work, repped!

You must have really good eyes, though, and a great monitor, to see the differences between some of those colors. I *think* there are 3 grays, I can't really tell? The two lighter grays look identical to me unless I move my head side to side. And I'm not sure about the blues. 2?

How would I go about changing the colors, if that's possible?

Bingo! We chase many shiny things at once. The latest Canonn Mystery, The latest Rift Mystery, and always keeping our third eye on Raxxla. Only the crazy go looking for it!

It has not spoiled anything for us either. That is why we "put it in quotes" because that is what people on the forums complain about. Although in times of new discoveries some canonn players froth at the mouth and go running out there intent on getting their 5 minutes of elite fame for a first discovery, not caring who they hurt along the way. Just listen to the most recent broadcast about the people unlocking the US "Star map" At the end of the broadcast it starts to break down with people demanding credit for the idea or execution.

+rep, great job! Time to get Shwifty. WE LIKE TO TYPE IN BOLD AS WELL

Steady on, Rizal's got exclusivity on bold caps in this thread, bless him! :)

Nice work, repped!

You must have really good eyes, though, and a great monitor, to see the differences between some of those colors. I *think* there are 3 grays, I can't really tell? The two lighter grays look identical to me unless I move my head side to side. And I'm not sure about the blues. 2?

How would I go about changing the colors, if that's possible?

You can change the colors (if you're using Excel) by clicking the "Fill Color" tool (paint bucket icon) and selecting a different color.
I actually have terrible eyes (20/600 uncorrected), but I do have a large (27") monitor and use a Production color profile.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom