Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
just want to comment here again saying i am almost done unlocking the Gamma CD 1 site

check here for both help and how far i have come: so far, 2 places remaning:

http://imgur.com/a/Sbbrd

Brilliant m8.
Keep up the good work.

For H3 ta+ ?
tt7CCV8.jpg
the answer is Ta+Ta but... if you already have a result as ta+ta then you cannot get that one again.
That is why you cannot complete that section of H3.

Hope that helps m8.

Last edited:
So cool, if the formidine and the guardians lore ties in together.

I actually think the opposite. If everything mysterious in the game ultimately ties into the same thing I think that makes the galaxy seem simple and unrealistic. There should be mysteries everywhere and they should be unrelated.

me and my friends just went to check out the side by side site as we were already on the planet, as we approached we could see the obelisks, then the landscape rendered over the top of them

again sorry for bad pic xbox is having trouble with clips and screenshots, also these ruins are showing in the nav panel as well :)

edit : just checked pg and solo, still doing it for all 3 of us

This pic is not working for me, anyone else?

Edit: It's working now, but you need to sign into a MS account if you have one. I also don't have authorization to view the file.

Last edited:
me and my friends just went to check out the side by side site as we were already on the planet, as we approached we could see the obelisks, then the landscape rendered over the top of them

again sorry for bad pic xbox is having trouble with clips and screenshots, also these ruins are showing in the nav panel as well :)

edit : just checked pg and solo, still doing it for all 3 of us

I checked it out earlier and had the same occurrence.

I suspect what will happen at some point is that FDEV will make all ruins detectable on a planet if a detailed surface scan is performed, with the story reason being an improved method of detection by Ram Tah

Here's what I'd like to see...
1. Ability to set bookmarks at arbitrary locations on the surface.
2. Custom points of interest should actually be POIs. It'd ridiculous that a random crashed ship causes a POI but a crashed alien ship with a couple of crashed T-9s does not.
3. Detailed surface scanner should reveal the presence of custom POIs and ideally give some indication of location but not an exact location. I don't want discovering ruins to become as simple as DSS scanning a planet.

I don't think that stuff would be that difficult to implement and it would make a world of difference.

Last edited:
This pic is not working for me, anyone else?

Edit: It's working now, but you need to sign into a MS account if you have one. I also don't have authorization to view the file.

ah usually just give a direct link to the xbox screenshot but its not working today, where else can i upload the pic ?

View attachment 114433

THE THARGOIDS KILLED THE GUARDIANS!!!

I don't think it will be the Thargoids, to obvious. Plus in the original elite it was hinted that it humans that started the war with the Thargoids.

I think what ever destroy the Guardians, is what lies beyond the Formidine Rift.

Thing is, I do remember seeing something that may no longer be officially canon about the Thargoids admitting to having committed genocide in the past. It's possible that could refer to the guardians, and the Thargoids might have had good reasons for it.. or the idea of us having started the war might be no longer canon. Perhaps the Thargoids are truly hostile to other life.

Of course you could be right, and there's something else lurking in the rift. Perhaps that's the entry point for the lizard people from the Andromeda galaxy.

By eye was not the way. If it was, then my opinion of this game has become even worse.

I am sure it was not supposed to be so slapdash as that. If it hadnt been for the exploit we would have needed 10000 people working every day for 2 or 3 months straight just to find one of those sites. We would have been looking over the equivalent of 1000 earths worth of surface in hopes of seeing something the size of a Wal Mart parking lot. Its not even statistically possible. However some how with no tools whatsoever we automagically found these sites. I call .

There's no way we were mean't to. The answer has been left ambiguous, which is good I suppose because 'mystery', but it's frustrating to be convinced it's hidden right in front of my eyes -kudos to frontier for achieving that mysterious speculation.. but because of that unchecked speculation alot of fellas wasted a whole lot of time not having fun trying to activate obelisks and the like, not to mention the lack of tools or any other method of their discovery, compounding that confusion.

Still for the life of me; don't know what it is.

Fkn crazy Professor Melville knows, a piece of it. His wreck is out there somewhere. The last satellite mission out here didn't amount to much if I recall though? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Still, for now as I cannot make use of the "Sub-Hyper-Spacial Delay Scanner" I'm gonna switch to finding USS in the surrounding systems.

Last edited:
Here's what I'd like to see...
1. Ability to set bookmarks at arbitrary locations on the surface.
2. Custom point of interest should actually be POIs. It'd ridiculous that a random crashed ship causes a POI but a crashed alien ship with a couple of crashed T-9s does not.
3. Detailed surface scanner should reveal the presence of custom POIs and ideally give some indication of location but not an exact location. I don't want discovering ruins to become as simple as DSS scanning a planet.

I don't think that stuff would be that difficult to implement and it would make a world of difference.

Agreed, but I'd guess that anything that can primarily be implemented client-side is much more achievable because it reduces the need for additional network and server / db overhead. So I'd hope that planetary bookmarks, being 'local' are achievable, like galactic map bookmarks.

The problem for FD with scanning surface objects is that they have to keep thousands of players happy and not have everything discovered instantly, which would be a disaster. It has to take months / years - otherwise highly likely they would have implemented better search systems. If it was a single player game they would have been much more free to do that. Still frustrating though when it's countless thousands of beige square kilometres! :D

I would still like to know the legitimate way we were supposed to find these sites. I have an SSD and cant rely on the slow recall speed of a mechanical drive.

This was not the intended method for finding these sites and again we have bypassed the entire game mechanic. This is no better than if you datamined the locations.

Either someone has figured out how to find these things legitimately and are not sharing or we are just shooting ourselves in the foot again. It cant be both. In less than 4 days we went from 4 apparent brute force found sites to 12. At this point I could not care less what about the outcome of the guadrians story line. Its been ruined utterly and is probably one of the most game breaking events I have ever been involved with.

After a good number of hours doing visual scans a couple of weeks back, I headed home to help refresh my enthusiasm on this hunt. Upon reading the Galnet item (now apparently deleted) about other sites being reported, I returned and seeing the front page of this thread, was staggered and the number of sites discovered so rapidly. Even more so when I caught up reading, and found that there is apparently no known method for locating these sites.

Either the number of CMDRs brute forcing is way, way up... or something else is going on.

Whatever the case may be, I hope that those developers who work on this part of Elite will not allow the bugs and such to divert their thinking away from the in-game type of story path that was planned with revealing the Guardians. I very much prefer this approach, as opposed to having to keep up with the forum, looking for what others have done and following what some few other players are actually doing.

For the most part, this story unfolded well for me. I knew there was a "mission" out there for this research. I found it on my own, just thinking things through. I mapped all the original site scan combinations myself, without any outside reading. Aside from the bugs directly related to the scan reports (and the uncertainty they caused as I progressed), IMO all that played out well.

The participation in searches for additional sites was the weaker element, IMO. Without some way to have any hunch what/why I was doing, I just couldn't persevere doing the random visual searches. Even so, others certainly have prevailed on this, and we move on.

Sorry for my post going off the topic.

After a good number of hours doing visual scans a couple of weeks back, I headed home to help refresh my enthusiasm on this hunt. Upon reading the Galnet item (now apparently deleted) about other sites being reported, I returned and seeing the front page of this thread, was staggered and the number of sites discovered so rapidly. Even more so when I caught up reading, and found that there is apparently no known method for locating these sites.

Either the number of CMDRs brute forcing is way, way up... or something else is going on.

Certainly no confirmed method, but CMDRs *have* been using theories (mentioned in this thread) that have been somewhat holding true to narrow down the search. Combined with the SC lag to narrow down the sites on a candidate planet, it is by no means brute forcing. Following this thread closely I believe that they've certainly had enough time to find the other sites legitimately (the last few were found *today*, not "rapidly" since the Galnet article). Those who think that the SC trick isn't legitimate need not reply. I'm aware of your arguments and do not apply to this situation. By legitimate, I meant without the use of external tools, things that would violate the EULA like datamining assets and memory scanners.

Given the amount of time these few explorers have been putting into searching for the rest of us, I don't believe they deserve the these kind of insinuations.

There's certainly a lot of ruins to find (hundreds!) in an area of space the size of the Bubble. So by no means feel left out, you can go out and still find new ruins as no one has found all of the solo codex entries.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom