Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
so after a few hours at alpha 3, decided to head back to gamma, my friend had ancient ruins in his nav panel the moment he dropped in on the sun (1198Ls away) but it didnt appear for me until i was within 1000 Ls of the planet, and another friend doesnt see it at all.

this is so much easier to find the ruins, how it should have always been :D

How did you post that image from xbox to this forum?

Certainly no confirmed method, but CMDRs *have* been using theories (mentioned in this thread) that have been somewhat holding true to narrow down the search. Combined with the SC lag to narrow down the sites on a candidate planet, it is by no means brute forcing. Following this thread closely I believe that they've certainly had enough time to find the other sites legitimately (the last few were found *today*, not "rapidly" since the Galnet article). Those who think that the SC trick isn't legitimate need not reply. I'm aware of your arguments and do not apply to this situation. By legitimate, I meant without the use of external tools, things that would violate the EULA like datamining assets and memory scanners.

Given the amount of time these few explorers have been putting into searching for the rest of us, I don't believe they deserve the these kind of insinuations.

There's certainly a lot of ruins to find (hundreds!) in an area of space the size of the Bubble. So by no means feel left out, you can go out and still find new ruins as no one has found all of the solo codex entries.

Rep for this and thank you on behalf of my self , CMDRs Madwax and Noodlz

- - - Updated - - -

Certainly no confirmed method, but CMDRs *have* been using theories (mentioned in this thread) that have been somewhat holding true to narrow down the search. Combined with the SC lag to narrow down the sites on a candidate planet, it is by no means brute forcing. Following this thread closely I believe that they've certainly had enough time to find the other sites legitimately (the last few were found *today*, not "rapidly" since the Galnet article). Those who think that the SC trick isn't legitimate need not reply. I'm aware of your arguments and do not apply to this situation. By legitimate, I meant without the use of external tools, things that would violate the EULA like datamining assets and memory scanners.

Given the amount of time these few explorers have been putting into searching for the rest of us, I don't believe they deserve the these kind of insinuations.

There's certainly a lot of ruins to find (hundreds!) in an area of space the size of the Bubble. So by no means feel left out, you can go out and still find new ruins as no one has found all of the solo codex entries.

Cmdr Khenistry - Xbox one

Found another alpha site with a different obelisk configuration! The planet orbits an M class star, the ruins have a reddish coloration. Can't post pics directly here, posting them on elite collective xbox club.

Synuefe NL-N C23-4 B3
Coords: -30.54, -24.20

Well done on the finding!

One cannot help but be a little suspicious about the rate at which ruins are now being found after the long searches for the early ones. From what I have read, apart from locating the planet we still don't have a good way to find coordinates so the fact people find then so quickly once the planet is pinned down.. It seems perhaps FD have tweaked something?

Either way I'll be a lot more comfortable when someone other than the current "select group" of commanders finds one. Given the number of people likely searching it is a little unusual the same people are making the discoveries. Unless the experience has somehow helped them know what to look for etc.

I think people can be forgiven for being a little suspicious/surprised.

Last edited:
One cannot help but be a little suspicious about the rate at which ruins are now being found after the long searches for the early ones. From what I have read, apart from locating the planet we still don't have a good way to find coordinates so the fact people find then so quickly once the planet is pinned down.. It seems perhaps FD have tweaked something?

Either way I'll be a lot more comfortable when someone other than the current "select group" of commanders finds one. Given the number of people likely searching it is odd the same people are making the discoveries. Unless the experience has somehow helped them know what to look for etc.

I think people can be forgiven for being a little suspisous/surprised.

I've worked closely with madwax and mGtRd, and can tell you those two are just putting in a ton of effort searching, and they're often re-searching planets that sites have already been found on...not necessarily new planets. I think the reason you're seeing the same people is because it's tedious work...I suspect most people circle a planet once before getting frustrated and packing it in. Only a select few are actually taking the 6-8 hours necessary to cover an entire planet.

Nothing anyone has done thus far would indicate that any "exploits" are being used besides the instance lag/bandwidth check. If that were the case, someone would've found the homeworld by now. These sites are likely a lot more prevalent than you think...in the order of thousands...finding 10 of them is just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
I believe (but of course I may be wrong) that the algorithm for choosing the planets first looks for a dwarf star in a system - it's either the heaviest one or the closest to the barycenter (or the main/first star) of the system - not enough samples yet to conclude - if it fails to find a satisfying planet (200-300 K, 1000 -2000 KM and the likes) around the dwarfs it goes down 'a notch'- again, either to the heaviest gas giant or the one closest to the primary star - this needs further checking - and picks the first planet meeting the criteria. I have no idea how is the number of sites per system or per planet determined (perhaps the distance from the core of the guardian bubble? 1 - 3 - 6 or 9?), don't know the key for the latitude or longitude nor how stellar systems are chosen. Yet. ;)

Mass is not the factor - it's the temperature of the dwarf/gas giant. If you guys stopped finding more sites I'd have a chance to catch up with my data sheet on all systems where ruins have been found so far. I am cataloging all things found in these systems and it it taking quite a bit of time as EDSM does not provide an API inerface for bodies within a system....

I'll finish up the system I am on and post the sheet.

BTW congrats to you and all other commanders on the new finds - please slow down! :D

Last edited:
Mass is not the factor - it's the temperature of the dwarf/gas giant.

Does it not follow (given temperature of parents, and thus children, should relate to distance from heat source) that the first low-gravity landable within the "correct" temperature range is the target in any given system?

o7

It looks like you have HIP 39768's distance wrong. According to EDSM, it's distance from the star is 21 Ls, unless I messed something up

Thanks for the pointer to the EDSM. I did not know such a thing existed. I also found EDDB. I had been visiting the systems and obtaining distances manually.

[grumble]As a relative noob (returning after 18 months away) I dont know about the 3rd party tools. Yes I could ask on the forums if such a tools exist but they do fall into the category of "unknown unknowns"[/grumble]

HIP 39768 A 14 F is given as 0.18AU which equates to 91Ls
HIP 39768 A 14 B is given as 0.04AU which equates to 21Ls

You might want to check Synuefe XR-H d11-102. Im using distance to the brown dwarf star (0.02Au == 9Ls). I have assumed that the primary star is too far distant to contribute any significant solar radiation.

Totally agreed... I personally think that whatever the "key" is has nothing to do with identifying particular solar systems either. With three different ruin layouts, but being so populous now, there's almost no chance the ruins sites themselves are aligning to particular star systems.

What I *do* believe is that there's a geometry or logic to the sites, and their locations are procedurally generated, and there's some form of mathematical logic to their placement on the planet, but things like the "twin" site throw any attempt to work that out into further disarray as we find more and more sites.

PS, almost at work, so can't do my bit and smash out the ruin combos for another 10 hours or so...

If we assume there ever was the key to finding ruins in the first place, then there is a very high chance that we missed it because we found our first ruins because of the video trailer instead of proper ingame clue, which could have been a key for the entire puzzle, again assuming there is a puzzle. I really dont want to believe that finding first ruins by video, and then finding more ruins by monitoring game loading times and traffic were intended design.

Does it not follow (given temperature of parents, and thus children, should relate to distance from heat source) that the first low-gravity landable within the "correct" temperature range is the target in any given system?

o7

In my view the gravity and level of solar radiation would be my priorities for selecting planets or moons for colonisation.

I had seen reference to "habitable zone" somewhere in this thread, but my request for info on how it was derived was not answered.

So I made a plot of star temperature vs distance to star, which I published here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/300054-Alien-archeology-and-other-mysteries-Thread-9-The-Canonn?p=5140909#post5140909 and updated here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/300054-Alien-archeology-and-other-mysteries-Thread-9-The-Canonn?p=5142409#post5142409

I think the posts got a bit lost in the excitement of finding the additional sites.

In practice: drop into a system; scan the star(s); calculate distance to potential targets; scan only those targets which meet criteria (radius, g)
As you can see from the scatter on the chart there is some range of uncertainty for the calculated distance. HIP 39768 A 14 F is a bit of a problem child.

Heracles421 has had similar thoughts and has published a very extensive table of data: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/300054-Alien-archeology-and-other-mysteries-Thread-9-The-Canonn?p=5144856#post5144856. There are some discrepancies in the datasets, which I /we are trying to resolve.

I've worked closely with madwax and mGtRd, and can tell you those two are just putting in a ton of effort searching, and they're often re-searching planets that sites have already been found on...not necessarily new planets. I think the reason you're seeing the same people is because it's tedious work...I suspect most people circle a planet once before getting frustrated and packing it in. Only a select few are actually taking the 6-8 hours necessary to cover an entire planet.
I think there is a lot to be said for teamwork also - a number of recent discoveries have been team efforts. The lone commander certainly stands less of a chance.
Respect to them for the time they've put in!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom