Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think the thing here is (possibly) "define a few" (Ly). What's the difference in distance between Sol and the planet with the base on? A 'few' `Ly could be defined as 10, 50, 100... Loose definition I know, and gut instinct dictates to me that with no defined distance, it could be quite large compared to how far (and how long!) they'd travelled.

I'm not a native speaker, but "a few" usually means <10...

Also: check the 'goldilocks' zones for the star types. What if the Thargoids had nuked all earth-like worlds to prevent human colonisation? What if the earth-like-planet went bad by the time they reached there? Should be candidates to check. After all, it was many years ago. I am sure there are other possibilities.

Example: Humans see a planet capable of giving them an ELW. They take off and fly to it. It takes 700 years. However, 650 years before they arrive a city-sized comet enters the ELW atmosphere, a la Chicxulub.

You really think FD would give us such a nested riddle to solve? Including some highly unlikely scenarios? Naah. Impossible for me.

Personally I think the riddle is fairly simple and easy. There should be an ELW within distance of a few (<10) LY from the site and the generation ship would be left in orbit of the ELW. Else it's impossible for us to find.

As stated before, systems around weren't thoroughly checked. So that's the goal for us I presume.

And, more on the "a few" ~<10 LY: Assuming they travelled from Earth which is ~160 light years from the site, they missed their target by a few light years. So little they say. So it can't be another 50 or 100 LY. It just can't. They are almost at their destination. Almost - I'd say 5-10 LY, no more. Also, they were on their own, they fixed the ship, got the fuel somehow - they would not be able to make another long journey. The opposite - they travelled to a system next door at most... Or they just didn't make it and are still in the system, like Voyager probe. That would be the easiest version to solve and most plausible, since we can't get a good candidate for an ELW nearby...

Transmission even suggests that the ELW should be within the system - they could stare at it, and they did it during all those long years. I don't quite understand this part.

A few means 3. At least it should do but people often use it for more than that.

In Polish language it's quite well defined at least.

There is a word "kilka" (="a few") means usually ... well... a few ;-) less than 10. And then we've got a word "kilkanaście" which means 11-19. Because then we've got a word "kilkadziesiąt" meaning 20+...

I'd love if this riddle was formed as precise as expected ;-)

I've been looking for ELW near Orion's Folly. I scan more of the systems that are 10 ly or closer but nothing new for now

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this is the result of a concerted effort, or is it just something someone thought would be a cool thing to do?

Looking at the long list of affected stations, I wouldn't be surprised if a scientist "suddenly" discovers a way to completely immunize stations from UA bombing. I am not sure if this is "working as intended" let's say...and the list is growing every week.

Thargoids are weakening our stations prior to invasion perhaps?

I have a feeling the listening posts and the sites they lead to are just extra little stories. I don't think they lead anywhere. They are really cool, and I am glad FDev added them.

I agree.
However, these little stories are good to be found, as I am sure the same way that they'll add depth to the main stories we are discussing about (Aliens, Thargoids, Formidine Rift, Biscuits Barrels, etc). After all, FD have spent time and effort writing them, adding them, because we've always been asking for "more depth", haven't we? :D

Great mistery hunt tonight at Bilongo with cmdrs Corso and Luancospartan98. We found some uss, different POIs on planet surface... The pics are here:

I found a uss which was encoded emission which produced two interesting (IMO) things:

first, was a eccentric hyperspace trajectory, which had the following text in it:

the second was an Abnormal compact emission data with the following text:

Bilongo 1 and 3 had, moreover, 2 debries fields. It is important to notice that in their region it used to spawn degraded emission threat 3, with canister cargo or AI relic (I found 3 of em).

The interesting thing is that the debries in bilongo 1 presented 3 T 9 and 2 condas, the T 9 had exactly the same paint scheme of the ones in the third crash site:

debries field:

In my opinion the "Unknown Vessel Detected" and "wants to see this figures" is something suspicious, plus: why are debris fields on a system in breakout? It seem to be in a system in war or something like this... I am going to continue scanning this system

Last edited:
Cruising around Asterope...

First off, the server down in 1 hour message spooked the hell out of me. If I had a weak heart...

cUqto6T.jpg
I made a trip out to the B & C stars of the system, didn't find any signal sources. I really wanted one to pop up in the system so I flew all the way back to Asterope A (100,000Ls).
Still nothing, So I recklessly came in hot for a scoop of the star and on my correction angle FINALLY a USS popped up - Degraded Emission Threat 0. I was expecting space junk.

I found more space junk than I thought. HUGE debris field. The area contained 5 Rescue ships (Named 'Rescue One' through 'Five'. The interesting canisters were Encrypted Data - I don't have cargo racks as my Python is fitted out for the MAIA CG.

There is a countdown before the servers go offline, I'll most likely hang here until the relog to see if it re-instances me into this position, In the mean time Im checking the debris for the Eagle from the video. I haven't seen burn marks yet.

There were apparently over 300 people aboard according to the Rescue Team's communication logs, and some of the escape pods are missing - Thats a total Thargoid abduction. I bet they are cloning such persons to infiltrate the Humans.

Here are some screenshots, Ill upload a video of the encounter and link soon. [Title](/s "Spoiler")

JfVGGaD.jpg

xg7CMNX.jpg

olGhDpR.jpg

CpWNjNd.jpg

0wuEFkg.jpg

sVEsmRH.jpg

tWbPFct.jpg

DiIK1nI.jpg

Last edited:
The person writing the log is actually saying "looking up at the planet"! Why are we lookng for blue stars again?/DD
I assume he was viewing a blue planet through a telescope and that's why I went looking for water worlds and earth like planets in that general direction.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Does anyone know if this is the result of a concerted effort, or is it just something someone thought would be a cool thing to do?

Looking at the long list of affected stations, I wouldn't be surprised if a scientist "suddenly" discovers a way to completely immunize stations from UA bombing. I am not sure if this is "working as intended" let's say...and the list is growing every week.

See this post:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-work-for-me?p=4777066&viewfull=1#post4777066

Thargoids are weakening our stations prior to invasion perhaps?

That's what I was thinking. If/when a war breaks out, we'll see if those previously affected stations automatically move to alien control, or simply go inert and let them cut the bubble in half overnight. The full properties of meta-alloys are still not understood and it's likely they will enable them to exert more control than the simple UA disruption does.

They don't need to add in an alien species that has vastly superior ships and modules if they conqueror half of human space overnight because of our own misguided actions. ;)

Another standard site created for BGS reasons.

Again, all normal sites / USS / data packet messages / local dialog for a system in Outbreak. The only unusual thing is the data point in the base but I think that design was introduced recently.

Yes, but I have never seen a debris field as persistent POI in an outbreak anarchy system. Moreover that debris field was a huge one with three t 9 and two conda. Maybe I am terribly wrong, most probably I am, but I have the idea that something unusual happened there in Bilongo.

Yes, but I have never seen a debris field as persistent POI in an outbreak anarchy system. Moreover that debris field was a huge one with three t 9 and two conda. Maybe I am terribly wrong, most probably I am, but I have the idea that something unusual happened there in Bilongo.

I've run across a few. Even posted some screenshots not too long ago in the screenshots thread. Dynamic debris POIs have been around for awhile.

I assume he was viewing a blue planet through a telescope and that's why I went looking for water worlds and earth like planets in that general direction.

Using todays technology you can view a blue planet through a telescope only if it is in the same system...

A few means 3. At least it should do but people often use it for more than that.

Although it's rather context dependent I'd go here with "few"= "less than 10". However if this was a generation ship then they were travelling sublight speed; if they missed their target by a few light years then presumably they were on autopilot & unable to make inflight course corrections . Therefore they may well have travelled on past their target while decelerating. How far would this take? I've already said it twice- draw a line back from Orion's Folly to Sol, identify the ELW within 10LY of that line, then start to search them going back towards Sol, however it's likely to be the nearest ELW since they have limited fuel & would likely go for the nearest alternative.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree.
However, these little stories are good to be found, as I am sure the same way that they'll add depth to the main stories we are discussing about (Aliens, Thargoids, Formidine Rift, Biscuits Barrels, etc). After all, FD have spent time and effort writing them, adding them, because we've always been asking for "more depth", haven't we? :D

Have we proposed a CG to developed *dee*p biscuit barrels? Canonn need to keep their strength up! :D

I was one of the CMDRs who looked at SRV fuel consumption in the ruins a while back and didn't see any change. However you raise a good point so let's see if we can get this one closed off once and for all.

I believe that if the ruins are sucking energy out of our SRVs then that will result in a significantly increased fuel consumption rate on your SRV display. Now that does change anyway depending on what you are doing, so you have to be careful how you measure this, and get a baseline outside of the ruins. Can we get folks who are at the ruins checking their SRV fuel consumption display to see if there are any unexplained anomalies?

There are two variables here. The reading on the dashboard of the rate of consumption and the level of fuel in the tank. If there was a form of energy transfer taken directly from the tank, that may not affect the rate of consumption. So it may be worth measuring the decline of fuel level over time but ignoring the consumption reading.

I found more space junk than I thought. HUGE debris field. The area contained 5 Rescue ships (Named 'Rescue One' through 'Five'. The interesting canisters were Encrypted Data - I don't have cargo racks as my Python is fitted out for the MAIA CG.

There is a countdown before the servers go offline, I'll most likely hang here until the relog to see if it re-instances me into this position, In the mean time Im checking the debris for the Eagle from the video. I haven't seen burn marks yet.

There were apparently over 300 people aboard according to the Rescue Team's communication logs, and some of the escape pods are missing - Thats a total Thargoid abduction. I bet they are cloning such persons to infiltrate the Humans.

Here are some screenshots, Ill upload a video of the encounter and link soon.

I've seen the very same USS in another system. Seems to be nothing special. The Rescue Vessels will pick up all the canisters and then the head out. Nothing more after that.

Glastinghouse

Just a quick speculation...xdeath (et al) found the ruins within a day or two after 2.2 dropped. It seems they surprised FD with the speed of the find. Maybe the "solution" to the ruins "puzzle" is not live yet?

Frawd

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom