Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... I guess that's a good example of thinking outside of the box. That being said, thinking about it all:

It was an expedition, and possibly and expeditionary fleet. These systems were waypoints of some kind, or at least of interest to the expedition in some way. Rally points are meeting points, like the places CMDRs met up in DWE. It stands to reason that they met there and moved on. The comms beacons being in a straight line with a different in-system rally point each, suggested that the expedition was going somewhere, and maybe it's pointing us in the direction they went?

Either they met at these rally points because the locations were of particular interest (why else rally around a point 100kls from the entry point?), or they were just chosen because they're landfall worlds (possibly a red herring). The fleet either moved along the line of systems up and out and there's no evidence of them left in the systems, or they left some clues behind as to where they went. They could also have started at the furthest system and moved inwards and downwards...

From a metagame perspective, why would the rally points be mentioned if they weren't significant? Why would they be placed in a line if that wasn't significant? BUT, also why those systems so close to one another? - we as CMDRs tend to plot 1000ly waypoints, not 20 or 30ly, unless those particular systems are interesting in some way... Why have the rally points as landfall planets if it's meant to be accessible to non-horizons players? Suggests to me there's nothing down there.

All questions to ponder...

Hmmm... I guess that's a good example of thinking outside of the box. That being said, thinking about it all:

It was an expedition, and possibly and expeditionary fleet. These systems were waypoints of some kind, or at least of interest to the expedition in some way. Rally points are meeting points, like the places CMDRs met up in DWE. It stands to reason that they met there and moved on. The comms beacons being in a straight line with a different in-system rally point each, suggested that the expedition was going somewhere, and maybe it's pointing us in the direction they went?

Either they met at these rally points because the locations were of particular interest (why else rally around a point 100kls from the entry point?), or they were just chosen because they're landfall worlds (possibly a red herring). The fleet either moved along the line of systems up and out and there's no evidence of them left in the systems, or they left some clues behind as to where they went. They could also have started at the furthest system and moved inwards and downwards...

From a metagame perspective, why would the rally points be mentioned if they weren't significant? Why would they be placed in a line if that wasn't significant? BUT, also why those systems so close to one another? - we as CMDRs tend to plot 1000ly waypoints, not 20 or 30ly, unless those particular systems are interesting in some way... Why have the rally points as landfall planets if it's meant to be accessible to non-horizons players? Suggests to me there's nothing down there.

All questions to ponder...

Rally points for regrouping a fleet that was deployed for whatever reason, or for grouping ships coming from diferent places to form a fleet IMHO.

Well, we're pretty limited in how we can interact with and discover whatever it is - eyeball, honk, target or shoot... And only the first three in supercruise.

If it's something disguised as something else, how would we discover its true nature if even our sensors and scanners are blind to it?

Well, in case of a hidden whatever in an asteroid belt:
Scan it may be a start. You earn nothing so they are usually ignored. But maybe it is necessary to jump into the spot to see something there.

Found another blue planet, a water world, in the general direction of the camp site:

rU7jMti.jpg

I can for sure confirm, that not all barnacle sites have been destroyed. I have found a few barnacles sites, including a double that i keep to myself for research purposes. I had a feeling that the over harvesting of them would eventually destroy them. Im not being greedy with them, i just do not want them destroyed. I have in the past, disclosed locations of barnacle sites. However, these hidden sites of mine are for research purposes only and if i gave out the location of them, people would go and harvest them... I havent been to other barnacle locations in a while, so i was not aware that the known sites have all been destroyed. Thats too bad....

You know Canonn has an open research policy, right? Keeping barnacle locations to yourself will not prevent game mechanics acting on them.

You know Canonn has an open research policy, right? Keeping barnacle locations to yourself will not prevent game mechanics acting on them.

i would think maybe only 30% of barnacle, organic and other recently added structures are being disclosed, if he wants to keep them to himself so be it, it would indicate though that an ongoing expanding search for barnacles perhaps isnt such a bad idea anyway. But i do disclosing them to the community might be agood thing, but then again if they become public the feds / imps or others might move into blockade so there is that consideration

- - - Updated - - -

In the interest of open disclosure after visiting 150 UA spawning systems ( the donut bubble around maia) the highest spawning system i ahve found to date is the wasp 33 system. One every 3-4 minutes. I sitll think there may be a source of a UA heavy area that may have undiscovered related content. Ive done some ground searching in wasp 33 to no avail just yet. But the insect link in the name was of interest ....... feel free to add it to the collective information pool, and im close to closing the atroan system down with unknown artifacts as well in the interest of public disclosure for experimental and storyline reasons, 30 UAs to take it down, so if the repair process is needed than it should be fairly easy ( npc population in a system atroan is less than 2000 = 2 static demand for UAs) a 50000 system has abotu 100, it took approx 15 Unknown artifacts to cause technical difficulties and gives weight to my theory that demand ties in with the speed and amount of UAs needed to take damage, making it easier for freelancers to target small unused systems ( no traffic except me one week prior) theres also a ground base there ill be starting on next as maia point is affected so im going to take out the ground base to

I have found several sites and have disclosed them in the past, i also created the complete barnacle guide that can be found on the first page of this thread. I do some independent research of my own, and disclosing them would ruin my research. Im sure some people reading this have a few secrets of their own as well. I dont want to travel to far from the OP's question which was "are all the barnacle sites destroyed" i just wanted to ensure the OP that this was not the case as i have some sites in undisclosed location. which might be helpful in the future, and if the community needs these sites in the future i would release them.

I have found several sites and have disclosed them in the past, i also created the complete barnacle guide that can be found on the first page of this thread. I do some independent research of my own, and disclosing them would ruin my research. Im sure some people reading this have a few secrets of their own as well. I dont want to travel to far from the OP's question which was "are all the barnacle sites destroyed" i just wanted to ensure the OP that this was not the case as i have some sites in undisclosed location. which might be helpful in the future, and if the community needs these sites in the future i would release them.

I'm sure you wouldn't wish to withhold the nature of your "independent" research, do tell, no need to reveal your secret barnacle site.

You're such a noble scientist. We must all be humbled.

LOL

Last edited:
Research recently reactivated. Looking into 2.2 barnacle developments and the broken tools we have to work with.

Seems demand for MA locations will be in need during these trying times with many UA sources abound.

Maintaining a local(Pleiades) MA source updated with each weekly state change will be of use to factions trying to maintain their stations and aid in research on harvesting effects on state changes.

Many locations wouldnt be needed just recently updated source would be of use which i think i will try to maintain and setup while returning to barnacle research and development.

Tinfoilery
Double barnacles i'm told are confirmed unintended behavior, for harvesting they give increased yield.. Nice but will be fixed , sometime,, passed on to team... few answers like the vanishing nav targets of scanned barnacles,, no confirmation if intended yet.

Nice but i'm sure many will keep those for themselves incase they get fixed.

For now , scouted out the system of Pleiades sector RO-Q B5-0 4 , 8 known barnacles . Ongoing research with new 'temporary nav targets of scanned barnacles' to find more and study their location and placements.

Nearest system to the bubble with barnacles. Current states as expected with Federal harvesting.
2/8 Ripe 2 x MA spike unguarded , 1 x MA spike Cap ship and skimmers
2/8 Barren + Cap ship
3/8 Barren unguarded
1/8 Barren unguarded Double barnacle

I'll monitor this site for state changes and see how develops as a MA source and update, possibly on a seperate thread for MA location.
Where can i grab some MA ?
Ripe barnacle with 2 MA unguarded as of now , should remain active until thursday and state changes.

Pleiades sector RO-Q B5-0 4 -27.10 74.60

day or two and should locate a double barny or three for harvesting ( then maintaining the changing sources ), may help in getting these broken barnacles fixed and their story progressing with luck

Last edited:
Yeah especially with me stepping up along with others to push the storyline ahead by selling unknown artifacts. Meta alloys for combat wings can be found in and around the maia <30ly out cluster, convoy beacons have federal corvettes that are easy enough to blow up they contain between 2-10 meta alloys a piece, and the instance can be reset as many times as one likes. SO there is that supply, then there are barnacle sources, i am not sure if Fdev have placed more or gone quite. I can imagine with 10-20 more stations shutdown, there would be galnet and perhaps that might push them to add / seed more sites if my logic can be followed ( taking out the fact of shut down stations) my current efforts are the outpost and ground base in atroan ( a system with next to no traffic) that and similiar "dead" systems could be a good way forward without shutting down key areas of commerce, income and the like (less political risk)

Nearby nebulas could be searched as well for barnicle sources

Research recently reactivated. Looking into 2.2 barnacle developments and the broken tools we have to work with.

Seems demand for MA locations will be in need during these trying times with many UA sources abound.

Maintaining a local(Pleiades) MA source updated with each weekly state change will be of use to factions trying to maintain their stations and aid in research on harvesting effects on state changes.

Many locations wouldnt be needed just recently updated source would be of use which i think i will try to maintain and setup while returning to barnacle research and development.

Tinfoilery
Double barnacles i'm told are confirmed unintended behavior, for harvesting they give increased yield.. Nice but will be fixed , sometime,, passed on to team... few answers like the vanishing nav targets of scanned barnacles,, no confirmation if intended yet.

Nice but i'm sure many will keep those for themselves incase they get fixed.

For now , scouted out the system of Pleiades sector RO-Q B5-0 4 , 8 known barnacles . Ongoing research with new 'temporary nav targets of scanned barnacles' to find more and study their location and placements.

Nearest system to the bubble with barnacles. Current states as expected with Federal harvesting.
2/8 Ripe 2 x MA spike unguarded , 1 x MA spike Cap ship and skimmers
2/8 Barren + Cap ship
3/8 Barren unguarded
1/8 Barren unguarded Double barnacle

I'll monitor this site for state changes and see how develops as a MA source and update, possibly on a seperate thread for MA location.
Where can i grab some MA ?
Ripe barnacle with 2 MA unguarded as of now , should remain active until thursday and state changes.

Pleiades sector RO-Q B5-0 4 -27.10 74.60

day or two and should locate a double barny or three for harvesting ( then maintaining the changing sources ), may help in getting these broken barnacles fixed and their story progressing with luck

Planet 7 has unknown probes that spawn in that system, the convoy beacons with federal corvettes containing meta alloys at planet 5 ( there is something about that system) and the ammonia and water based gas giants - i think a lot more of us should frequent that system a lot more both gathering intel, interacting with the inspace and planet side sites and content, and generally keeping an eye on things, i think this system amoung none others will be the next stage of content.

theres a perfect storm of varied but related content there, it might just take someone to light the fuze

No - I just don't want to add tourist destinations if the location hasn't been discovered yet.

Michael

Given that there is no in-game method to find any of these things apart from the MkI Eyeball, I'm disappointed with this response.
Passenger missions should be used to help us find things. Maybe not the first instance of a new object, but certainly additional instances that haven't been found by chance.

Given that there is no in-game method to find any of these things apart from the MkI Eyeball, I'm disappointed with this response.
Passenger missions should be used to help us find things. Maybe not the first instance of a new object, but certainly additional instances that haven't been found by chance.

The response is actually expected, the eyeball buys time to implement other skin deep. I was disappointed with the response, however it was expected, passanger missions having some procedural nature, but no not quite to find things for that we need fancy complex puzzles and other hand led methods. It could tie into locations the pilot has visited and explored ( first discovered even) - but that is an ideal complex BGS tied in with exploration..... so no chance based, just hand placed basis.

Indeed, it would be nice to have some message that there is something anomalous about a planet you've scanned, even if it could only be pinpointed to a rather large region. Scanning the correct planet in itself is a big task if the unusual content is rare enough.

Last edited:
Indeed, it would be nice to have some message that there is something anomalous about a planet you've scanned, even if it could only be pinpointed to a rather large region. Scanning the correct planet in itself is a big task if the unusual content is rare enough.

Couldn't agree more. [yesnod]

I am still amazed at what has been found by some CMDRs just using their Mk1 eyeball, but better scanners/tools in game for proper searching are sorely needed.

This thread relating to exploration scans and requested future features from a ED lead designer makes for interesting reading and hopefully some additional content

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/299492-Exploration-Scans

Yup, getting materials from the DSS is just the tiny first step of what it should be doing.

Yes, I'm starting to give up on searching a planet/moon hoping to find that flickering black speck 6km down on the surface. I put my dirty driven Cobra on cruise control over a small-ish moon and left it alone, occasionally watching the barren terrain rolling by, for almost an hour. I covered about an inch on the planetary map in that time. The scale of the whole thing smacked me and left my flabber gasted.

Either story needs to point to something more tangible, you codecrackers need to get off your asses, we need more hands on deck banging their heads on planets, or there needs to be better equipment to find things. I'm kidding. For the most part.

I'm getting frustrated at the vagueness of everything despite having "so many clues we don't want to say anything else." Fortunately the third of the above situations is happening (to the tune of one extra CMDR). I got my friend to bite on EDH so now I can go guide him through space trucking and RES hunting etc etc. Should bring my energy levels back up. The thought of seeing Eravate again warms my soul.

Looking at that exploration scans thread... now.

Last edited:
I do some independent research of my own, and disclosing them would ruin my research. Im sure some people reading this have a few secrets of their own as well.

Nah, not me, I post up anything and everything I find so that the community can either help or look at it for themselves. Extra minds helping out are more important than keeping secrets to me. I love the cooperative nature of exploration and mystery solving in Elite honestly.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom