All engineers leveled to grade 5 - a brag, a guide and a feedback

I'm close. Just gotta get nemo, who I saved for last because he doesn't have anything I need not already (or better) achieved from other engineers.

It's a bit tedious, sure. But what else are you doing in the game that's so much more fun than taking missions, killing random wanted ships, attacking ships in CZ's and exploring the bubble in general? Might as well do all that while unlocking engineers.

Only difference i made is that I only ranked the engineers that have mods that I can use on the ships I own. engineers that generally dont have anything I can use I only ranked to level 3.5. So like 2/3 are 5 and the rest are level 3.

You do feel a decent sense of accomplishment when getting all of them ranked up. Way more than I felt reaching beagle point and coming back after months with essentially nothing to show for it. Didn't even break elite on that multi-month outting because I didn't feel like farming neutron stars.

Getting all the engineers is definitely worth the effort.

Congrats on the comprehensive write-up.

Remember that you get the rep increase by spending the materials and making the roll - you don't have to take the upgrade, and can simply abandon it. I've ground through copious stacks of common mats this way to boost ranks just using stuff from wrecks and pirate-droppings. Actually I have yet to roll wheels in the dirt...

In addition, most Engineers have other routes to rank improvement - trade, exploration data, bounties (?) - whatever services are present it seems. I've arrived, unlocked, and sold exploration data at an Engineer's base and jumped straight to rank-3 - although I am a meticulous scan-o-phile.

Last night I spent 4 hours in an anarchy res killing haulers... 1 drop of chemical manipulators...

I'm gonna take my chances with the 3 rolls I have and then never bother with it again, best roll I get is what I'll keep.

Neat write-up.

But....

All that, just so I can roll some dice?
(Yes, great, I can pick the special effects on weapons at the cost of yet more of repeating the grind. Now how about letting me avoid the damnable RNG altogether?)

I'll continue waiting until I can get some guaranteed return on investment of materials, if it's going to take this much time, effort, focus, planning, research, and more just to make a single modification at an Engineer base.

'Til then, while I'll collect mats on my way or stop by to get some reputation up if I feel like it, I'll be ignoring this part of the game.

You must also avoid going to restaurants, because you are not sure that you are getting the best cut of steak in the galaxy. I'm sure it would be horrible to get a steak from a restaurant which was only 95% ideal.

I assume you also avoid going to all movies, because you cannot be guaranteed that you will be entertained ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!! Or, hopefully, there are some movies that you will see, because you are confident of your return on investment.

Did you avoid all classes in school where you couldn't be the top student with the top scores? That must have been insanely frustrating, to not be able to control what other people were also taking the course.

I'm sure you either don't play backgammon, or you have mastered the art of rolling doubles. Because nothing involving dice rolling could be fun?

Well, I enjoy taking my wife to restaurants. I enjoy watching movies in 3D.

I also enjoy swinging by an engineer after a rank-grind, and walking away with an enhanced jump drive or some better thrusters.

If someone else got a better roll-- well, congrats to them! I also enjoy playing backgammon.

You must also avoid going to restaurants, because you are not sure that you are getting the best cut of steak in the galaxy. I'm sure it would be horrible to get a steak from a restaurant which was only 95% ideal.

I assume you also avoid going to all movies, because you cannot be guaranteed that you will be entertained ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!! Or, hopefully, there are some movies that you will see, because you are confident of your return on investment.

Did you avoid all classes in school where you couldn't be the top student with the top scores? That must have been insanely frustrating, to not be able to control what other people were also taking the course.

I'm sure you either don't play backgammon, or you have mastered the art of rolling doubles. Because nothing involving dice rolling could be fun?

Well, I enjoy taking my wife to restaurants. I enjoy watching movies in 3D.

I also enjoy swinging by an engineer after a rank-grind, and walking away with an enhanced jump drive or some better thrusters.

If someone else got a better roll-- well, congrats to them! I also enjoy playing backgammon.

(That post was like, 6 months ago, bro :p)

I don't have to roll dice to determine the quality of my food at any restaurant I've ever been to.

Same line for movies and school.

Board games oftentimes involve dice, yes, because before the age of the Personal Computer, that's as simple and accessible as you can get.

But by all means, if you take a set of D20s with you every time you eat out with your wife or go see a movie to decide whether you're going to enjoy the results, be my guest.

I will not ever subject myself to that, if I can help it.

Let's remember, as well, we're not talking about cooking, making movies, or winning at Monopoly - the whole concept here is tweaking and refining massive pieces of ship hardware, with no rush whatsoever in terms of time constraints. The result of which should be anything *but* random.

Last edited:
Top Bottom