Ships All pre-engineered 5A FSD V1s are not the same

I was planning to got to the engineer in the Sirius area next, as he is advertised as working with power plants.
Many commanders complain about Marco Gwent because he is time consuming to unlock and does not go up to grade 5 in anything. But he is more centrally located than the engineer that can do grade 5 power plant engineering, and you rarely need to grade 5 engineer any power plant. If you are doing overcharging, only do it to the grade you need to provide the power required, as overcharging increases heat output.
To access Marco Gwent you need to be allied with the Sirius Corporation (run missions for rep+ with that faction), find an accept the permit unlock mission to get access to Sirius and then find 25 Modular Terminals. Sometimes you will find Modular Terminals for sale on fleet carriers. When I get some I put them up for sale on my carrier at the maximum price I can set and they are gone inside 48 hours.
Modular Terminals are only available as mission rewards and are more common in high tech economy systems. So you need a ship capable of running missions where passenger missions also work, and have 25t spare cargo space, and evade pirates after your cargo the whole time. I can take 2 to 3 hours of running missions to collect them all unless you get lucky.

If you only need grade 1 power plant engineering Felicity Farseer is much easier to access. I've used a Python or Krait II to run around and unlock Marco Gwent the two times I've done it. I needed a ship that big to fit a passenger cabin or two plus cargo space. You might be able to make it work with the Dropship.

Not really on point.
Previously, when we played from the beginning of the game, ALL modules were unique. We spent 1000s of materials to get more positive effects and a minimum of negative effects.
It seems that these modules are still in the old captains.

Many commanders complain about Marco Gwent because he is time consuming to unlock and does not go up to grade 5 in anything. But he is more centrally located than the engineer that can do grade 5 power plant engineering, and you rarely need to grade 5 engineer any power plant. If you are doing overcharging, only do it to the grade you need to provide the power required, as overcharging increases heat output.
To access Marco Gwent you need to be allied with the Sirius Corporation (run missions for rep+ with that faction), find an accept the permit unlock mission to get access to Sirius and then find 25 Modular Terminals. Sometimes you will find Modular Terminals for sale on fleet carriers. When I get some I put them up for sale on my carrier at the maximum price I can set and they are gone inside 48 hours.
Modular Terminals are only available as mission rewards and are more common in high tech economy systems. So you need a ship capable of running missions where passenger missions also work, and have 25t spare cargo space, and evade pirates after your cargo the whole time. I can take 2 to 3 hours of running missions to collect them all unless you get lucky.

If you only need grade 1 power plant engineering Felicity Farseer is much easier to access. I've used a Python or Krait II to run around and unlock Marco Gwent the two times I've done it. I needed a ship that big to fit a passenger cabin or two plus cargo space. You might be able to make it work with the Dropship.
That is really helpful information.

I was aware about him being time consuming to unlock. But that does not phase me. I have spent quite some time here around Suhte, long enough that my courier runs made me allied to Canonn and at least two other factions in this area. Without choosing the Rep+++ option in the reward screen. I either stuck with the most money or some materials, in case they offered them as a reward.

What you wrote sounds like you only get them for passenger missions? Or do these happen to be the ones with the highest amount rewarded? Would a Dolphin cut the mustard for those?

As I do not know what options I have and which would work the best for me, it is hard for me to know if grade 1 will suffice. But it might be a starting point. I've heard there are some FCs around Felicity's place, selling meta alloys. To find player owned fleet carriers, I suppose I have to go open? Playing it "safe" on solo, so far.

I've heard there are some FCs around Felicity's place, selling meta alloys. To find player owned fleet carriers, I suppose I have to go open? Playing it "safe" on solo, so far.

Players FC's are independent stations, you can visit them in all the usual modes. Watch out for engineer systems in Open, potential for gankers, and griefers is a bit higher. I recommend staying in Solo or Private Group when visiting engineer systems.

Also Inara will list FC's with open sell orders. What it does NOT list is if they are open to the public. That should be on you system map. FC's can allow all to dock, or friends only, etc. You want to find the publicly dockable Fleet carriers. Also there is one base that is landable in Horizons that sells meta alloys as well. Google it to find the name, but some FC will definitely sell you a meta alloy probably for a million bucks.

edited: spelling

That is really helpful information.

I was aware about him being time consuming to unlock. But that does not phase me. I have spent quite some time here around Suhte, long enough that my courier runs made me allied to Canonn and at least two other factions in this area. Without choosing the Rep+++ option in the reward screen. I either stuck with the most money or some materials, in case they offered them as a reward.

What you wrote sounds like you only get them for passenger missions? Or do these happen to be the ones with the highest amount rewarded? Would a Dolphin cut the mustard for those?

As I do not know what options I have and which would work the best for me, it is hard for me to know if grade 1 will suffice. But it might be a starting point. I've heard there are some FCs around Felicity's place, selling meta alloys. To find player owned fleet carriers, I suppose I have to go open? Playing it "safe" on solo, so far.
Modular Terminals can be found as rewards for all types of missions including passenger missions.
The way to design your ship builds and work out what your power requirements are is to use this site https://coriolis.io/

You can dock at fleet carriers in solo. I recommend solo in Deciat as it is a popular place for gankers to play. Unfortunately I don't have Modular Terminals in stock. They always sell in 48 hours if I have some.

Modular Terminals can be found as rewards for all types of missions including passenger missions.
The way to design your ship builds and work out what your power requirements are is to use this site https://coriolis.io/

You can dock at fleet carriers in solo. I recommend solo in Deciat as it is a popular place for gankers to play. Unfortunately I don't have Modular Terminals in stock. They always sell in 48 hours if I have some.
Good to know. Are all carriers visible on the map player-owned? Or are there also NPC carriers?
If so, how can I tell them apart?

I should probably mention a few barnacle sites, now, huh?

Pleiades Sector GH-L b8-0 planet A7 (Site 1) 0.41g, 70Ls to arrival
HIP 21246 planet CD8 (Sites 2 and 6) 0.41g, 5.5kLs to arrival
HIP 15823 planet B2 (Site 3) 0.41g 18.1kLs to arrival

Or visit a Thargoid structure, and get some there. Now that'll be an adventure.

HIP 19026 B 1 C, is a planet with a Thargoid structure that has 8 meta alloys around the middle area. It's 345ly from the bubble.

If you want a bit of an adventure, harvest the meta alloys yourself, from a barnacle site. It'll take longer than buying them, but be more fun if you ask me.
I like adventures, as long as they don't include combat. 😅🤔
I should probably mention a few barnacle sites, now, huh?

Pleiades Sector GH-L b8-0 planet A7 (Site 1) 0.41g, 70Ls to arrival
HIP 21246 planet CD8 (Sites 2 and 6) 0.41g, 5.5kLs to arrival
HIP 15823 planet B2 (Site 3) 0.41g 18.1kLs to arrival
Bookmarked for later refernce. Thanks.
Or visit a Thargoid structure, and get some there. Now that'll be an adventure.

HIP 19026 B 1 C, is a planet with a Thargoid structure that has 8 meta alloys around the middle area. It's 345ly from the bubble.
Sounds good on paper, but I'm not sure if I would be able to tackle that...🤔
Still, I am gonna check that on Galmap.

Many commanders complain about Marco Gwent because he is time consuming to unlock and does not go up to grade 5 in anything. But he is more centrally located than the engineer that can do grade 5 power plant engineering, and you rarely need to grade 5 engineer any power plant.

Marco Qwent is great for adding experimental effects on power plants and distributors when you have better blueprints pinned from the more remote engineers. And there's a manufactured materials trader at the main station in Sirius.

Last edited:
Marco Qwent is great for adding experimental effects on power plants and distributors when you have better blueprints pinned from the more remote engineers. And there's a manufactured materials trader at the main station in Sirius.

And not only for that.
i always pinned Overcharged PP from him (While having PP G5 Armored pinned from Hera Tani) since G4 overcharged is enough most of the times without driving PP efficiency through the roof

And not only for that.
i always pinned Overcharged PP from him (While having PP G5 Armored pinned from Hera Tani) since G4 overcharged is enough most of the times without driving PP efficiency through the roof
I have only 1 ship that needs a G5 overchaged and it at least has thermal spread to help with heat. It's a Corvette with over the top shields, boosters, guardian shield reinforcements and shield cell banks. It would probably do the same job with a bit less shields and G4 overcharged, but if your going to max out a build you might as well go for it.
Needless to say fuel scooping with a 4A fuel scoop is a hot experience. It never goes more than about 4 jumps from the carrier, so it's manageable.

Top Bottom