Alliance Large Ship

Why does FDEV seem to consider the Type-10 Defender as the big ship of the Alliance?
They just gave it to us with no strong reason...

The Federal Corvette is specialized in fight and he's certainly the most powerful ship.
The Imperial Cutter is the best Cargo/Multirole/Mining ship and really good versus Human IA and Thargoids.
The anaconda is the best explorer ship and strong versus human IA and Thargoids.
The Beluga... For passenger, okay? :D

So, they sell the T-10 Defender as an AX specialized ship, and... Conda/Cutter/Corvette do better...
In addition, the Cutter and the Corvette are both original vessels. Here FDEV had the opportunity to make us an emblematic vessel for the alliance. And what do we have? A big Keelback... An armored version of an already existing ship. Why did they give this to us?
When you see what they did with the Cutter and the Corvette, why make such a choice for the Alliance?

So, I just want to know WHY they choose this vessel as the Large Alliance Ship.

Alliance ship release was very disappointing.

We got only one original concept, the chieftain which is good, and one viable and one very bad copy paste of him.

But above that we got a copy pasted t9 as our large. I think they try to fill the "armored trader" hole in the ship roster, but as you say the Anaconda and the Cutter do better in this role. He can kill thargoids scouts too, but it's very expensive to just kill scouts as he's bad at killing interceptor with his very bad hardpoint placement and maneuverability.

Above that, when you think about a faction large ship, you think about something with style, that you are proud to pilot, with at least a size 4 hard point. Not a "space cow with a spoiler". So I wonder too why they did this choice.

Last edited:
And it's not just the ships. Story line revolves usually much more around Empire and Federation, than Alliance. Alliance PP is the lamest, with only one Power and a power-specific weapon that is useless against NPCs and hardly worth getting for PvP. Alliance deserves more love. FREEDOM AND LIBERTY DESERVE MORE LOVE! \o

Keep pushing for the Boa Cruiser, plus other big ships still in the origins of the Elite world.

Carriers and panther clipper coming 2019.

I would hesitate to call the T10 "the Alliance large ship". Yes, it is built by Lakon, and yes it was designed with the help of the Alliance, but the Alliance (to my knowledge) only commissioned the design as an stopgap weapons platform.

Even if it is an Alliance ship, it does something that no other superpower-commissioned ship does: unlike every other superpower affiliated ship, it does not carry the superpower name (probably because the Alliance would be embarrassed to have it affiliated to them :p). It is not called the "Alliance Type-10 Defender", it's just the "Type-10 Defender".

Maybe I have this all wrong, but I really don't care because I am holding out for a true Alliance large ship. Hopefully it has the same design aesthetic as the Chieftain....

Given the Alliance's current ship preference, it appears they are all offence with 0% flexibility (as the literally copy and pasted the same COMBAT ship for guess what... COMBAT!!! even the feds had the decency to add a dropship! :D )

so unless the Alliance changes it's way's, the next ship it will release will be hopefully more akin to a Corvette, perhaps even stark competition for it at least...

As for the type-10, I don't really see that as an alliance navy ship, more a sad sorry excuse for retaliation for Thargoids. a legitimate alliance ship would be welcomed!

I am reassured to see that I am not the only one to have this point of view.

But I don't talk about this subject without support. I couldn't find the source for now, but in one of the last live, the developers have confirmed that the T-10 DEFENDER is consider as the large alliance ship for them. But I think we're all curious about why today...
There's no consistent solution for me... :S

It's a great opportunity for FDev Team to really make Carrier Builds a thing: "Alliance Warlord" Carrier, some kind of fighter-specialized superheavy ship (more active seats for AI crew, multiple fighter hangars/bays, less or smaller hardpoints, not very agile but capable of holding ground for quite some time), alongside with a rework in fighter mechanincs for improvement and balance purposes.
It even internalize the Alliance's Endeavor: a ship that can do the job alone but that really shines/excels in a fleet/wing. Would be an unique, interesting and powerful addition to both, Alliance's Navy and Elite's universe in general, as it would introduce some new gameplay possibilities and reinforce others that may not be that viable nowadays.
The ship could be introduced along with a new power for the alliance, maybe a more "hands on"/less political leader that believes alliance's navy needs to be stronger in case of that partnership against thargoids doesn't last as long as they expected.

I'd love if the Devs read this and, at very least, consider the possibility.

Compared to the (PvE) combat ability of the Corvette and Conda, and the cargo hauling ability of the Cutter (and T-9), the T-10 is lacking a USP.

But there is no restriction on which ship a player can use for any role once they have unlocked them, so the only problem is for roleplaying patriots, who are self-imposing lots of restrictions on themselves & their playstyle already.

Somebody thought it would be cool to have a beefy T-9 added to the game, it was added. The Alliance wanted a range of ships like the Feds & Imps had, and got at least one excellent one (the Chieftain), imo consider the T-10 a bonus :)

I thought the Alliance make lash ups when required during times of crisis? The T-10 certainly fits that modus operandi.

Exactly. The Alliance doesn't have a navy, just a motley selection of whatever its members choose to contribute. A converted freighter is appropriate.

Even the Chieftain was supposedly created for a different purpose, as an anti-Thargoid ship.

I can see why they might prefer not to go down the road of having a dedicated navy, which would require the individual members to pay higher taxes and give up some of their autonomy to support it.

Honestly, I kind of regret the fact that the alliance created a whole new type of ship with the chieftain line; it would have been a whole lot more interesting if they have just taken existing cargo ships and converted them into combat ships.

So, in addition to the T10 , you'd have a more advanced version of the keelback, as well as a combat variant of the t7. That would make a lot more sense to me, as opposed to what we got, which are a line of ships which seem higher-tech than just about anything else available.

Top Bottom