Allow the VR '2D screen' to be disabled?

It'll be interesting if VR gets a mention on the upcoming roadmap. If it doesn't, we can park any expectations for six months 'til FD have crapped out the Odyssey fixes and console releases.

It'll be interesting if VR gets a mention on the upcoming roadmap. If it doesn't, we can park any expectations for six months 'til FD have crapped out the Odyssey fixes and console releases.
This is one of those situations where FDev has taken a huge hit and is trying to salvage some goodwill with an attempt at transparency. Thing is, if VR isn't on the roadmap, a lot of players like myself will give up and walk away without giving them another cent. I won't buy Odyssey until it's fixed and includes full VR support. If it's not on the roadmap, then it's goodbye.

This is one of those situations where FDev has taken a huge hit and is trying to salvage some goodwill with an attempt at transparency. Thing is, if VR isn't on the roadmap, a lot of players like myself will give up and walk away without giving them another cent. I won't buy Odyssey until it's fixed and includes full VR support. If it's not on the roadmap, then it's goodbye.
Exactly how I feel. I'm not interested in playing without minimal VR (e.g. stereoscopic and head-look) in Odyssey content, and that goes for me reciprocating by buying cosmetics from their store, and I've said this for months. I want to be proven wrong, but I just get the feeling they haven't even given VR any consideration during development, and post release Odyssey needs some serious work even before VR gets a look in, if at all.

Hmm, so if I'm understanding this poster from the vorpX forum correctly...

The game has native geometrical 3D … !!! … VorpX is not needed at most for head movements or the FullVR mode.
3D in Side by Side can even be set with 3D depth strength in the graphics options !! … then press F6 or F7 with Virtual Desktop for the 3D view with the VR glasses …
Perhaps someone can create a VorpX profile that supports the native 3D mode of the game itself … for this VorpX would only have to support the stereoscopic 3D mode in Side by Side like Virtual Destop does … or all 3D TVs that are still running and 3D projectors.

They're using the side-by-side 3D mode, then getting headlook viewing in the HMD via Virtual Desktop? Seems they're using this side-by-side mode.

Could be worth a play?

EDIT: Ah ok, it would be a sterescopic view, but just still on a giant screen 😁

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYvn8emlaZo&t=482s

But apparently Bigscreen has an SBS mode too. So will have a go tonight :)

If anyone has VD and wants to try there / see if it's superior, that'd be good too.

Last edited:
Could be worth a play?

Haha oh god, so I tried it. And any VR nut should probably give it a go. There was a glimpse of how the scale of the stations could really come across like mad in VR.

B74A205921CDCFB41A0A75766EE858976B42C2CC

ECA1D27E0CBE08388FE7A46647C05B0E7C9FD400

E27A12B548F335138D1BC712A7E021C1B2953736

But no, uhuh. Can't play it like that.

Like, I could probably have played around with the stereo depth more. (I think it may well have been set to 'absurd' because it did look exaggerated 😄). But ultimately, it was also pretty unplayable. On standard High settings (which I'm getting ok VR performance with in EDO) text was unreadable in SBS, latency was terrible, and the whole affair was definitely knocking on the door of my usually iron stomach. And it's all still just on a big screen ;). (Even if in the 'void' room of Bigscreen, mimicking head moves slightly with in game camera moves, meant you could drift into it for a bit).

Back to the drawing board ;)

I wonder now following the roadmap and communication pledge we could at least get some specific insights into why the ground portions aren't VR enabled. E.g., is it really a performance/framerate concern? Is it someone's idea of a balance concern? An assumption of motion-sickness concern?

I wonder now following the roadmap and communication pledge we could at least get some specific insights into why the ground portions aren't VR enabled. E.g., is it really a performance/framerate concern? Is it someone's idea of a balance concern? An assumption of motion-sickness concern?

Supposedly Bruce is going to start a dedicated 'VR questions' thread soon, according to Arf on a recent stream. Would be a good question to pose there for sure.

+1 from me.

It might even get me to buy the expansion.

This update currently offers very little for those of use that exclusively play Elite in VR and is an extremely hard buy in it's current state.

This effort would make EDO much more appealing.

VR is exploding right now and ED has been one of its killer apps since day one. Don't let that go to waste.

+1 from me.

It might even get me to buy the expansion.

This update currently offers very little for those of use that exclusively play Elite in VR and is an extremely hard buy in it's current state.

This effort would make EDO much more appealing.

VR is exploding right now and ED has been one of its killer apps since day one. Don't let that go to waste.
Again, I highly recommend waiting for not only a promise, but an actual, playable VR experience. I personally will not purchase until functional VR is delivered.

So wait, reading around it looks like there's no plans to do anything with VR in EDO? Surely the option to turn off the floating screen via a config tweak is the most painfully obvious easy short term win at a time when a little goodwill would go a long way ...

So wait, reading around it looks like there's no plans to do anything with VR in EDO? Surely the option to turn off the floating screen via a config tweak is the most painfully obvious easy short term win at a time when a little goodwill would go a long way ...

Nah, nothing has changed. It's the same scenario we were in already:

What they said was essentially 'no change' to their current stance. Which is:

our VR plans are still as we've stated with full integration a possibility in the future but unconfirmed.

So VR bug fixes for now, but no plans to go beyond the current 2D screen etc currently. With Zac C following up with:

So obviously these things may change in the future, they may not, but, like as Bruce said, that is the current situation. (source)

Initial announcement by Bruce here.

EDIT: And now Arthur with this:

With regards to the VR, in terms of there being sort of full VR being implemented into Odyssey as such. There are no plans for it in the works at the moment in time. We're never going to say never. But one thing I don't want to do is string people along, and one thing I don't want you to ever think we're trying to do is say: Oh it's gonna come, it's gonna come.

It's something we'd love to do I'm sure in the future, but it's something there's no plan for in the immediate future. And there isn't a timescale for it. So when I say we're not working on it at the moment, that's true, we're not. There are pressing other things that we want to put into Odyssey, and get right in Odyssey first before we look any further on.

So no change. No budget for a full VR port currently. Maintenance for ship & SRV VR and the 2D screen only.

No great surprise ¯\(ツ)/¯

(If anyone wants to push for a hacky low/no budget solution for now, you know where the thread is right? ;))

Last edited:
Hello lovely devs!

This suggestion is based on some major assumptions, but it would be great if it were possible.

Initial Assumptions:
  • That the stereoscopic render used for ships & SRVs in EDO functions in Legs mode.
  • That the 2D screen mode for Legs can be set to toggle on or off.

Suggestion:

Allow players to set the 2D projected screen to 'off' by altering an option file. (In the same way that players can alter their HUD colours by editing the existing XML file, for example.)

Advantages of this approach:
  • It could allow very basic VR access to EDO Legs, prior to full official support.
  • Only the most dedicated EDVR players would learn of it and want to try it.
  • It's a very clear 'opt in' process, where you can't do it by mistake
  • It wouldn't be an officially launched or marketed function.
  • It would hopefully require a low level of dev work & support at this stage.

Caveats:

I'm sure there are a ton of other considerations which might conflict with this idea (technical stability, impacts on non-VR players) and so make it a non-starter.

And the experience for the VR player would clearly be very rough, even if it were to prove even partially functional. (It would only work for those with their 'VR legs', would doubtless have real issues with UI, and would be unlikely to facilitate full EDO gameplay by any means).

Reasons to do it:

If this system allowed those of us with our 'VR legs' to take in the scale of our ships from the outside, or appreciate a station NPC 'in the round', or even do some basic exploration using classic controls, this would be a massive boon for the veteran EDVR community. The current pause in access to EDVR content is an unusual circumstance. This unusual approach could perhaps act as a temporary bridge to fuller, official support.

---

EDIT: A guesstimate of what might be possible:

• First Person: Headlook Solutions

• First Person: Quality of Life
    • If the core game includes no-HUD options for first person gameplay, that could be helpful.
      • (Classic on-screen UI tends to appear very close to the face in VR, making it uncomfortable for eye accommodation etc.)

• Third Person: Vanity Cam
    • Could be the most comfortable experience.
    • Camera view should be able to track with the character.
    • (NB the vanity cam is getting adapted to work on foot).
    • Not designed for gameplay, but could work for exploring environments.
    • EDIT: Already possible in the alpha!

Any knowledgeable dev or VR heads, please do chip in if you see errors, or other positives / negatives to add :)
I completely agree, this game needs VR, and after all Frontier still markets the game as "Built for VR".

+1 here too. Hate the flat screen projection.. Its too small and doesn't fill the field of view. And absolutely kills all immersion in the game. Kills it.
So "hell yes" to any option that lets me stay in VR.

Top Bottom