Allow the VR '2D screen' to be disabled?

Nice one :)

Yep, given how many EDVR heads there seem to be, and the inventive 3rd party scene, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the community could fashion something from access to the VR view.

(I do hope FDev get to a proper port, including motion controllers personally. But this would be a good way to tide us all over until that time ;))
As much as I do love Lone Echo, I wouldn't want Elite VR to MANDATE the use of hand controllers, I'd hope it would be optional, so when someone is in the modd for that sort of VR experience, they can, but if they are in the mood for a flaked out chill type of Elite session, they can "be lazy"... But we both know that sort of a VR port ois a few years awayd and I sincerely hope we can persuade Frontier to up the ante from ViRtual flatscreen to Headlook... If they dinnae move from ViRtual flatscreen, that will kill the game as far as I'm concerned.

As much as I do love Lone Echo, I wouldn't want Elite VR to MANDATE the use of hand controllers, I'd hope it would be optional, so when someone is in the modd for that sort of VR experience, they can, but if they are in the mood for a flaked out chill type of Elite session, they can "be lazy"... But we both know that sort of a VR port ois a few years awayd and I sincerely hope we can persuade Frontier to up the ante from ViRtual flatscreen to Headlook... If they dinnae move from ViRtual flatscreen, that will kill the game as far as I'm concerned.

For sure. In a world where FDev were doing a fuller port, I'd imagine both classic controls and motion controllers would be supported.

The former makes so much sense for a game involving transitions between foot and vehicles, and the latter has become a de facto necessity for a modern VR game (with the locomotion options it brings helping onboard noobs re nausea etc).

(My personal dreamscape involves a virtual cockpit complementing on foot motion controllers, for transitions and that 'standing in the game' immersion. But worst case, ay, maybe it will all have to be mods :/)

For sure. In a world where FDev were doing a fuller port, I'd imagine both classic controls and motion controllers would be supported.

The former makes so much sense for a game involving transitions between foot and vehicles, and the latter has become a de facto necessity for a modern VR game (with the locomotion options it brings helping onboard noobs re nausea etc).

(My personal dreamscape involves a virtual cockpit complementing on foot motion controllers, for transitions and that 'standing in the game' immersion. But worst case, ay, maybe it will all have to be mods :/)
I'm happy to change up controllers for foot traffic. Shoot, we already sort of do that when we have to type something. It's a pretty minor inconvenience to pick up my VR controllers.

I'm happy to change up controllers for foot traffic. Shoot, we already sort of do that when we have to type something. It's a pretty minor inconvenience to pick up my VR controllers.

For sure. I'd be happy too as well in many ways. (I'd just prefer a 'one controller to rule them all' scenario as an ideal, with motion controllers at the front of the queue. Messing around in alpha did suggest that things can start to get cluttered if you're juggling K/M, controller and HOTAS, for example. It's do-able, but it could be better ;))

The main thing is that FDev have shown themselves to be super controller agnostic in ED to date. They support nigh every input option and peripheral going. I hope that continues in many ways. It would mean there would at least be options for us all to play our way ;)

All the VR references from the patch notes:

• Fix for error when changing 3D mode from "Off" to "Anaglyph", "Side-by-Side" or "HMD" in VR. [Also listed as 'Fix for error when setting 3D mode to Anaglyph in VR']
  • Fixed strange objects appear when doing an FSS in VR
  • Fixed display resolution and full screen settings in VR change every time ship is boarded / disembarked. [Also listed as 'Fixed VR changing resolution when disembarking or boarding a ship']

Guess we'll see if there are any more fixes / QoL touches in there.

Tried the usual checks, but no changes of note that I can see. New custom.fxcfg file for EDO, that’s it.

Have left <CinematicScreen>false</CinematicScreen> entered at the bottom of the setting file just in case. Doesn’t do any harm anyway ¯\(ツ)/¯

Servers are taking a bath now, so I’ll check in on this tomorrow:

If they’ve fixed the camera view to the avatar, that would be intriguing... :)

EDIT: They haven’t :p. See below.

Last edited:
Has anyone else problems with the free camera controls? I am not able to detach it from my ship or commander anymore. And I can't move the free camera anymore. Checked the bindings. All seems fine but it just does not work.

Has anyone else problems with the free camera controls? I am not able to detach it from my ship or commander anymore. And I can't move the free camera anymore. Checked the bindings. All seems fine but it just does not work.

Yep had that in alpha. Free cam movements don’t seem to work in VR. The same bindings work fine in standard mode.

Seeing more talk about motion controllers. I almost exclusively play VR games now (either HOTAS or Index Controllers), but for Elite I just want to be able to take my hands off of HOTAS and switch over to mouse+keyboard when on-foot in VR -- i.e. the same half-a-second seamless transition between controllers I already do whenever I need to type in-game or click on sub-tabs in the galaxy map. Gun/tool can just be stuck facing forward to my view. As long as I can see in full VR, I believe that's all that would be needed for it to feel like a seamless experience.

This is why I cannot understand why FDev, apart from not caring about VR players, couldn't just give us head look- programmatically it isn't that hard. It's not like the implementation of head look requires using VR controllers either, as we didn't have that in the cockpit in Horizons, so I still believe them wanting to offer the full VR experience that they claim they considered, starts by them dedicating the task to VR developers. Because I don't believe they have anyone tasked with it, considering what we have is the bare minimum that could be mustered- I may as well take my headset off during Odyssey content, frankly.

Ok so a small VR fix in the latest patch again:

Fixed a FSS planet closeup issue in VR

Just worth keeping an eye on the type of capacity they have.

It's obviously small team, and there's a long list of stuff to tackle. Will be interesting to see if they plough on through. Would suggest a dedicated VR dev/team maybe, rather than a dev-fan straddling two roles or something. (Which would be something, because we've certainly got a proposal to keep them busy once they've tackled the launch stuff ;))

This is CMDR Horst Bonkerschmidt and I aprove this request! Please, oh so please give us legit VR support! Please! If you are too busy, greedy or maybe just lazy...or whatever...I beg you anyways: PLEEAAAAASEEEEE, give us some kind of VR support, maybe?
Maybe somthin' like VR headlook with mouse and keyboard controls and be done with it - can't be that hard, eh? Call it alpha-prelaunch-unofficial-whatever-stuff and make us your betatesters - just DO IT and I'm in! Will run around the verse till I puke - word!

o7

Last edited:
Top Bottom