Almost quit for good today. Barely-escapable game-breaking bug!

Or you want to mock some Babbling Fish for not knowing what he's talking about :p

Yes, I'm mocking right now USING LINUX.

If you'd like, I could type up a formal treaties in LibreOffice mocking you. Or I could write a Python script that mocks you continually. I could also make a nice PowerPoint (and even save it as a ppt file) that mocks you. USING LINUX. What's that, you'd like a nice graphic that mocks you? Easy-peasy!

Now if you're talking about games, then yes, you are sadly correct - hence one of the many reasons I'm a console gamer. Ironically the PS4's OS is a based on a UNIX variant :D

I can (and have) even use Linux to derail this thread!
I am using Ubuntu myself and also installed it on various machines in my family. I guess you missed my point. ;)
If you know what you are doing it's great. If you don't know what you are doing it's great as well. For some people in between it's not so great.

Why not just restart the game in non-Horizons mode, to get back into orbit?

Derp. Didn't think you could do that. I'll keep it in mind.
Interesting... I don't think this issue is related to the fast moving planet. The fastest moving body known is Mitterand Hollow, in the Epsilon Indi system. There's no known bug on that body... yet!

Oooh, I might have to check it out. What's the orbital period on MH, anyone know?

Yes, fast moving planet, very rare bug. You were jumping in the direction of the planet's travel so as soon as you hit the supercruise instance (which converts your position and speed relative to the star, not the planet), the planet was catching up with you causing a crash. Difficult for FD to fix without altering the way jumps are made. This only happens with bodies orbiting very close (and therefore very fast) to their parents, I believe.

The funny bit is that I don't know if I was on the "leading edge" of the planet per se. I do know I was on the daylight side, it was a tidally locked planet and when leaving I was facing toward the star which was fairly dead center above me relative to the surface. But you're right, I'm fairly certain that's what happened.

Not everyone, but some (I've edited my post accordingly).

When people invest time into a "game", it's still an investment, and frustration is understandable when it feels that investment may be lost. Do you really think (s)he is going quit by smashing his equipment? Probably not. Offering advice without the mocking "it's just a game" crap is fine. Just realize that sometimes people have to let off some steam.

Now if the OP were going into every positive thread and disparaging the game and Frontier as some are want to do, then I think they would warrant a strong rebuke and perhaps even some mocking for being a troll. I don't think this is the case here, however. And in this forum, there is a subset of players who chastise anyone and everyone for getting frustrated with the game for legitimate reasons. Such chastising only serves to drive players away, which is not good for the game. I myself have thought more than once, "If this toxic 'white knighting' is the community at large, then I don't want anything to do with it." I have learned over time that this attitude truly is just a subset and no the community as a whole, but newer forum members may not know this.

Thankfully I haven't seen any of the "Git Gud", "Can I haz your stuff", and all the other stereotypical mocking that tends to follow a post like the OP (yet), but it probably would have come soon enough. I'm addressing the bigger problem of this type of reaction as seen over and over again in threads like this.

ps - ever see how some football fans react when their team loses? Now that is overreaction!

Note that I said I "almost" rage quit and "almost" threw my Rift. Also I was more or less embellishing my reaction. The thought did cross my mind but never translated to action.

Besides I put in some serious wage-slave hours to be able to afford both the Rift and a PC worthy of playing it, I'll be damned if I wreck it over one bug.

It's not possible, when you log off your ship is gone until you login again. Some people like to do it for RP / immersive reasons though.

Yeah, that's kind of more or less why I do it. I'm a former EVE player so the idea of "get safe before logout" has become ingrained habit I guess.

👍

The popular mantra is not that there aren't any games less buggy than ED. The popular mantra is that Elite is quite a complex game (doing stuff that no other developer has done before) and it's constantly changing and evolving, which naturally brings some bugs with it. Nevertheless, the number of bugs is way too high and their effort to fix it is way too low.
That's the official mantra.

For what it's worth I haven't encountered too many. And with procedurally generated systems, not even the Devs know what that system is going to be like. Hence why I shared the system name and galactic coordinates. If not even the game's creators know about this system then they obviously would not have anticipated it.

By the by the system has quite a few metal-rich bodies and the planet in question has lots of volcano areas to snag resources in.

It's possible the landable-to-SC bug is back. I was playing with a friend last night and this happened to them (go to SC from a landable) but the planet/moon they were on wasn't moving fast (compared to OP). They were immediately brought back into normal space and then CTD within a couple seconds. This was on XB1, so not limited to PC.

Hmm, that's possible. I haven't tried going down to any landables since the bug happened, but then again before this particular planet I was able to land and gather resources and then take off to SC or WS again with no problem.

I've got a thought "why not just try to highwake?" when reading about second CTD in a row. Did it really take a week and dozen of low-wake tries for you to remember about highwake? :D

Keep in mind that was a week I wasn't able to play because I was staying over at someone else's house that week. Difficulties of setting up my Oculus Rift sensors AGAIN notwithstanding, my PC tower is ing huge (I have a Rosewill THOR 2.0 E-ATX Super-Tower and it is boss as ) and I didn't want to be bothered carting it all the way over for less than a week. I have other, more portable games I can play in those situations.

As for why it took me several tries to try highwake, well, there was an update between then so I thought it might have been fixed. I was wrong.

I also thought at first it might have something to do with my settings in VR, so I tried a few different settings in VR before attempting to play normally via my monitor.

Finally, the highwake DID cause a CTD - the only difference was my ship was "saved" to the next system before the game crashed, so that I started in-flight in that system, which was what allowed me to escape. Previously I was only going supercruise and my ship would re-appear after the crash in the state it was when my session started (on the ground, systems at minimum, etc). In truth I should have thought of it earlier, but sometimes these ideas take a few tries, especially when you don't know what is going on.

Last edited:
MH is fun to land on but you do have to figure out a way to chase it down if you get a bad trajectory. I was successful but it was the weirdest landing I ever did.

When I finally got on firm ground, I logged off and on a few times to just watch the rise and fall. If Phylur PV-T B44-4 is that far away I doubt I'll go visit but if it was close to the bubble I'd try it out; these are the kind of things I like to experience.

GL HF

I was thinking the same thing but in reverse - people have a high tolerance for low quality. Hence the popularity of fast food restaurants, Dollar stores, and cheap appliances that break a month after you buy them... Like you, I'm clearly the opposite.
[OT] You're not wrong, but bear in mind that it's not always a choice. I've been in both situations over the years and it's so frustrating knowing you're effectively throwing good money after bad but it's literally all you can afford to do at the time.

As for the OP, I wouldn't want to be around if he ever actually loses a ship to a game bug. More specifically, I wouldn't want to be within Rift-hurling distance of his window. ;)

The advice to fire up the non-Horizons version of ED is probably the best lesson to learn here, because it does solve a whole multitude of planet related issues. Although I do wonder what's going to happen if and when FD harmonises the two branches and makes Horizons the de facto base game, which I suspect they will have to at some point. If these bugs are still around, there are going to be a lot more tickets.

Glad you got yourself sorted, @Auriga_Nexus, and thanks for the info which might help other players too. But agreeing with the others, getting that worked up isn't doing yourself any favours.

Also, while that is a pretty nifty planet (I hope you'll share it once you have sold your data), there are plenty which are much closer/faster to their parent star and generally people haven't had any issue with them. If there's landables very close to each other that can cause issues if their exclusion zones overlap.

But in this case it's either that particular planet which is bugged (in which case FDev will be very interested to investigate to see why), or your client may have an issue. Try deleting the various cache files etc. (but NOT your settings) If you're running from Steam also validate your game files.

Fly safe! And remember, it's a game :)

I did share it, the system name and gal-grid coordinates are in my original post.

Just pulled into New Yembo after about a month outside the bubble, I was trying to head to the Izanami region (because I'm a hopeless weeb who can't resist exploring a region named after the Shinto goddess of destruction) but gave up at the edge of the Inner Orion region where the bubble is. Still managed to bring in a good haul, about 40M worth of exploration data and my name on quite a few planets. Also got extra for New Yembo being in Investment state.

That being said, having some issues with VR blacking out for seconds at a time in crowded areas like stations. I guess I never noticed it before because I was out in the black with absolutely -all.

[OT] You're not wrong, but bear in mind that it's not always a choice. I've been in both situations over the years and it's so frustrating knowing you're effectively throwing good money after bad but it's literally all you can afford to do at the time.

[OT]You know, as soon as I saw your post I thought of Vimes "Boots" theory of socioeconomic unfairness. Great minds and all that.

As for the OP, you have my sympathies. Had similar (not identical) situations. Can be frustrating.

Top Bottom