Alternate Education Boards

Alrighty then. Here are the newest boards, y'all:
1 - PZ Info Boards - Bactrian Camel.png

1 - PZ Info Boards - Baird's Tapir.png

1 - PZ Info Boards - Galapagos Giant Tortoise.png

1 - PZ Info Boards - Indian Peafowl.png

I'm loving this project. I hope you'll find the motivation to make these for every single animal in the game!

Got a small recommendation for one of the animals. Since the overall theme appears to be the natural habitat of the animals, the Arctic wolf's education board should not feature any trees, as there are no trees in their natural environment. You can use low lying bushes, shrubs and grasses though.

I'm loving this project. I hope you'll find the motivation to make these for every single animal in the game!

Got a small recommendation for one of the animals. Since the overall theme appears to be the natural habitat of the animals, the Arctic wolf's education board should not feature any trees, as there are no trees in their natural environment. You can use low lying bushes, shrubs and grasses though.
Check also the Animals in the Wild Thread out😉
I think when I've researched after seeing the Arctic Wolf Pictures, it was mentioned that they do encounter Trees in some Areas

Last edited:

I found it pretty hard to find a good reference for the arctic wolves that matches existing foliage in-game. I guess I went with a winter theme in the end. All the pictures comes from my animals in the wild thread

Thanks, but the pics themselves are coming from our very own @Captain Callum

Check also the Animals in the Wild Thread out😉
Thanks, but the pics themselves are coming from our very own @Captain Callum
I'll check it out, thanks. Didn't know these were based on another thread. Either way everyone involved with the project saw my feedback, so no need to repeat it there, I guess.

I think when I've researched after seeing the Arctic Wolf Pictures, it was mentioned that they do encounter Trees in some Areas
That's probably an issue with taxonomy. According to the way PZ defines an Arctic wolf (based on its range map in the Zoopedia), which is also the traditional way to describe Canis lupus arctos, the nearest trees are 700-1,300 km from the southern fringes of their range (not to mention the actual forest line is further south).

I'll attach the range map of the Arctic wolf, the Canadian treeline and bird's-eye view calculations for reference.

Canadian tree line:
Canada_tree_line_map.jpg

Range of the Arctic wolf (light blue):
arctic wolf.png

Bird's-eye view calculations:
distance1.png

distance2.png

distance3.png

distance4.png

For comparison and a better understanding of scale, the distance between Denmark and Italy is roughly 900 km.

comparison.png

I found it pretty hard to find a good reference for the arctic wolves
I can help you with that if you want. A good place to start would be to research the flora of the Queen Elizabeth Islands and the Canadian High Arctic tundra ecoregion.

Also, here's a link to an Arctic wolf feeding on a muskox showing what most of their natural habitat typically looks like. I wasn't sure if it would be ok to directly post it here, since there is some mild gore. One thing I can comment on is, you can use more foliage in the form of small low-lying tundra bushes and shrubs than seen here, since not all of their range is as barren. Ellesmere Island is the northernmost of the Queen Elizabeth Islands.

I'll check it out, thanks. Didn't know these were based on another thread. Either way everyone involved with the project saw my feedback, so no need to repeat it there, I guess.

That's probably an issue with taxonomy. According to the way PZ defines an Arctic wolf (based on its range map in the Zoopedia), which is also the traditional way to describe Canis lupus arctos, the nearest trees are 700-1,300 km from the southern fringes of their range (not to mention the actual forest line is further south).

I'll attach the range map of the Arctic wolf, the Canadian treeline and bird's-eye view calculations for reference.

Canadian tree line:
View attachment 332510

View attachment 332512

View attachment 332501
View attachment 332502
View attachment 332503
View attachment 332504

For comparison and a better understanding of scale, the distance between Denmark and Italy is roughly 900 km.

View attachment 332508

I can help you with that if you want. A good place to start would be to research the flora of the Queen Elizabeth Islands and the Canadian High Arctic tundra ecoregion.

Also, here's a link to an Arctic wolf feeding on a muskox showing what most of their natural habitat typically looks like. I wasn't sure if it would be ok to directly post it here, since there is some mild gore. One thing I can comment on is, you can use more foliage in the form of small low-lying tundra bushes and shrubs than seen here, since not all of their range is as barren. Ellesmere Island is the northernmost of the Queen Elizabeth Islands.
Thanks for the links, I'll make another habitat for these wolves in the future

Canadian tree line:
View attachment 332510

View attachment 332512

View attachment 332501
View attachment 332502
View attachment 332503
View attachment 332504

View attachment 332508

🤔 Then it's probably rather rare or someone spread Misinformation. Would be nice to see some Pictures that are more scientifically accurate 👍

or someone spread Misinformation.
Doubt anyone would purposefully spread misinformation, instead it could be a case of lumping several populations/traditional subspecies to redefine valid subspecies. For instance, if you were to lump C. l. arctos, C. l. bernardi (now extinct) and C. l. mackenzii into one subspecies, they would fit the aforementioned criteria of "rarely encounters forests" due to C. l. mackenzii's range bordering the forest line. That could be a potential explanation for finding information on forests in text.

As for the images, Callum's got it right. Most of the quick pics you'd get on Arctic wolves online would be of captive/rescued specimens. I'm guessing those pictures also played a part in Frontier giving the animal 'Taiga' biome suitability. Realistically C. l. arctos and the now extinct C. l. bernardi should only have 'Tundra' biome suitability; meanwhile C. l. mackenzii should have both 'Tundra' and 'Taiga'. My emphasis on the extinct C. l. bernardi is to highlight the fact that there is a whole subspecies south of C. l. arctos that is also a pure tundra dweller, and you have to actually move onto the third subspecies to generate some form of contact with trees.

C. l. bernardi (now extinct)
Didn't know this Subspecies yet. Damn, there are lots of extinct Subspecies. 13 if you don't count those that went extinct in prehistoric Times

C. l. mackenzii
🤔 Do you mean the Mackenzie Valley Wolf? Aren't those and the Northwestern Wolf the same Subspecies? (Canis lupus occidentalis) or was something new discovered regarding their Taxonomy?
Edit: Wikipedia still lists them both as Canis lupus occidentalis.
Ok, found out which one you've meant👍

Didn't know this Subspecies yet. Damn, there are lots of extinct Subspecies. 13 if you don't count those that went extinct in prehistoric Times

🤔 Do you mean the Mackenzie Valley Wolf? Aren't those and the Northwestern Wolf the same Subspecies? (Canis lupus occidentalis) or was something new discovered regarding their Taxonomy?
Edit: Wikipedia still lists them both as Canis lupus occidentalis.
Ok, found out which one you've meant👍
That map I've linked earlier is a good source to track subspecies and their respective ranges. Although there are a few oversights with the modified "present distribution" - for instance they've forgotten to remove the now extinct C. l. bernardi.

Edit: We are going a bit off-track now. Let's not hijack DarthQuell's awesome thread. ;)

Top Bottom