Always online

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
I expect the game launcher will use online authentication in much the same way as Elite Dangerous (ED) does but unlike ED it won't require a persistent connection. You'll however need an internet connection if you utilise features like uploading/downloading blueprints.

Last edited:
I think it is good. We will be able to play offline.

We can play offline. But we need to sign in online. Doesn't make really much sense. It was the same as Maxis did with SimCity now when I don't have internet (saying this much) I can't play. Is rather ridicolous if you ask me for an offline game.

We can play offline. But we need to sign in online. Doesn't make really much sense. It was the same as Maxis did with SimCity now when I don't have internet (saying this much) I can't play. Is rather ridicolous if you ask me for an offline game.
I understand that you may need to to play online the first time to activate the key and all of that. But I suppose (and expect) that we will be able to play offline too.

I understand that you may need to to play online the first time to activate the key and all of that. But I suppose (and expect) that we will be able to play offline too.

I totally agree!! But we don't know maybe some little announcement of Brett could help us a bit here :D!

People had the same concerns about Elite too, but I have seen proof of people playing that using in-flight Wifi [tongue]
As the Elite launcher can cache your credentials, I imagine the same to be true for Planet Coaster.

My internet has been known to drop 10+ times a day; I understand why people worry about this, but I feel it is an unfounded fear.

It seems there would be a need for the Alpha to authenticate to Frontier's servers every time it's launched to prevent pirating the game. They'll want to ensure only authorized users can play the Alpha.

It seems there would be a need for the Alpha to authenticate to Frontier's servers every time it's launched to prevent pirating the game. They'll want to ensure only authorized users can play the Alpha.

Speaking of pirating what do you think there Anti Piracy will be because piracy is really an issue on the webs.

This has me very worried.
I have already paid..., it never occurred to me that an offline simulation game might insist i be online to play it.
i do a lot of gaming in-flight, and we have no in-flight wifi on air nz.
i really need to be able to start the game while not online, and play.
if it refuses to play for lack of a connection... well, i'd rather not.
this could be a deal-breaker for me.

Brett..... can you clarify?

We do not know this information yet. Please wait for an official statement rather than quoting your opinion as fact [tongue]

Personally I really hope there is a way to "verify" your version of Planet Coaster once and for all or at least for some time
like seven days. At least the latter should be enough to avoid piracy. I can totally understand they have to prevent piracy,
and logging in online is the best way to do so, but I really want to be able to play after my move if I got no internet for
weeks or when I'm using the train etc.

But yeah, chances are pretty high we will have to sign in online each time we launch the game, but can continue to play
offline after that. Would be enough for the train I guess: Sign in at home, start the game, send notebook to sleep. ^^

We do not know this information yet. Please wait for an official statement rather than quoting your opinion as fact [tongue]

My use of the word "seems" explicitly implies that the statement is conjecture on my part. Also, I did not quote myself. I suspect English may not be your first language so I understand your confusion.

If it has any kind of online authentication for normal offline play, then they better disable this feature if they one day shutdown servers or for some reason go bankrupt.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

This has me very worried.
I have already paid..., it never occurred to me that an offline simulation game might insist i be online to play it.
i do a lot of gaming in-flight, and we have no in-flight wifi on air nz.
i really need to be able to start the game while not online, and play.
if it refuses to play for lack of a connection... well, i'd rather not.
this could be a deal-breaker for me.

Brett..... can you clarify?
An even bigger issue for me would be on vacations. The places I go on vacations I have usually no kind of internet access and refuse to use mobile broadband due to insane roaming costs.
It would be a shame if this game would not work offline in such cases.

It has been proven time and time again that these kinds of limitations does not prevent pivracy since the cracks take care of it anyways.

Last edited:
. . . An even bigger issue for me would be on vacations. The places I go on vacations I have usually no kind of internet access and refuse to use mobile broadband due to insane roaming costs.
It would be a shame if this game would not work offline in such cases. . .
Same here.

As in another thread Kerrash we have fact, in the FAQ as stated, till that is countered by some other post from frointer, I have no doubt as you said about Elite, it's set in stone, this is the new DRM today, makes sense to me, I get the offline argument, but those days are becoming numbered.

Top Bottom