Am I the only person who is utterly unenthused right now about a generic FPS being shoehorned into my spaceship game?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
FPS in ED? no thanks. I can imagine the salt and tears if you have to deploy in and out through the SRV doors in a similar game mechanic.
Only thing I would like to do with FPS is put a jet-pack on and follow @sgurr et al. on a base-jumping journey across some trouser-filling ice ridges and crevasses on Pomeche 2C. After that I would be done with it and back to Missions and Exploration in my Ship and SRV.

I bought this to space pirate, that part of the game seems to have been completely forgotten by now and I've quit playing, because there was supposed to be patch that would flesh out what we already got(like multicrew) and fix bugs that have been there since launch.

That patch never came and now there's space legs coming out, so if I imagine all the bugs that those legs will bring and assume nobody will do anything about it for years, think I'll just pass and save my money.

What chances if successful they market Odyssey on it's own as a separate game, just like CQC except that was total crap.

For that to work it would have to be not only entirely playable without ever piloting (as FDev say you can), but actually enjoyable to do so long-term.

I suspect ultimately EDO will tilt players towards adopting ships, just as they start you with auto-docking computers now, but there are advantages to skilling up and dumping them. (Hell, the whole FPS system seems to entirely mirror the ship system, from shields, to energy management, to slower power projectiles. It's like little FPSers first ship tutorial ;)).

So yeah maybe they could do that, but I reckon they'd only swerve that way if EDO went really badly. (Like alienated the existing playerbase massively, but didn't bring in replacement FPS/RPG heads in enough numbers).

I reckon the CQC mode they've mentioned sounds a more likely candidate. (Especially if the FPS proves popular, and/or the CQC mode includes vehicles, and could show off the broader EDO game).

It'd still probably bomb though, just like the original CQC ;). Arena shooters are about the most competitive market there is...

If there is something, then I am more confused by the previous relatively unsuccessful experiences of the similar shooters, combined with a space theme. The Dust 514 and somewhat Interstellar Marines. Some other attempts too.
Therefore i am more intersted in the mechanics itself, which would be useable in much more activities, than only in shooter.

I don't understand their business decision of releasing a FPS game instead of expanding their space sim game with space sim stuff. I can think of more ships, more station types, more missions types, more involving and multi-step missions, more random encounters, maybe "dungeon"- or "raid"-style content, needing multiple wings of commanders in the same instance to kill/map/transport something (CGs are a bit like this, but don't require players to be in the same instance).
I certainly like the idea of many of those things, the problem is that a lot of them would be very hard to "gate" off into a paid expansion like Odyssey. Mainly I'm hopeful that while Odyssey doesn't have anything I'm particularly excited about beyond new planet types, it makes enough money that Frontier thinks it can afford to do another Beyond-style free expansion next where they go back and add details and integrations to existing game mechanics.

New ships: you could make owning the Panther Clipper dependent on Odyssey - there were Horizons-only ships - but people certainly wouldn't have bought Horizons just for the ships.
New station types: presumably orbital ones, since it is coming with new surface types? Would they deny docking if you didn't have the expansion? Again, not going to get people to pay £30 for it.
Better missions and encounters: the easiest way to gate those off would be to ... set them somewhere that other players can't get to, like the walkable interior of a base on a tenuous atmosphere planet. They have said that Odyssey will have slightly different missions and more mission types compared with the base game (and obviously "deliver this message, but on foot" is at least a variation...) just as Horizons added a bunch more - and while I wouldn't expect greater complexity necessarily, the inside of a building is a more contained and controlled environment to do that sort of thing with.

(They did - I can't remember exactly when, sometime in early Horizons - have multi-step missions where you'd do the first part, and then that would give you the second part, up to four parts for the big ones. They replaced them fairly quickly with the much more optional chain/follow-on mechanism, and it'd be interesting to ask what they thought wasn't working about the earlier design, as it's been a cpmmon request in more recent years.)

I feel the same way about PowerPlay. The last thing I expected and wanted was a veneer of personality/socialite interest injected into my science and technology hobby.

Ultimately though it makes the game bigger and I've few complaints with that.

If there is something, then I am more confused by the previous relatively unsuccessful experiences of the similar shooters, combined with a space theme. The Dust 514 and somewhat Interstellar Marines. Some other attempts too.
Therefore i am more intersted in the mechanics itself, which would be useable in much more activities, than only in shooter.
Keep in mind that the term unsuccessful here means unpopular. It wasn't unsuccessful for the people who love that game play. And who can no longer get it.

Like the OP said, if they wanted to develop another FPS, get it kick started.

They literally did already...

Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter (2012)

ty2goSY.png

Uiwk3ZS.png

N81nByl.png

Source: https://youtu.be/EM0Gcl7iUM8

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
No, that is a problem. We bought a space game. Our money should have gone into further development of that space game.
Like the OP said, if they wanted to develop another FPS, get it kick started.

Me, I'm hoping their marketing department is hyping the FPS aspect and there will be more content for us space pilots.

Not sure what you mean, ED Kickstarter money went indeed into vanilla ED. As far as I remember FDEV actually had to use additional funds from their own pocket back then in order to release and finish it off. Anything after that starting with Horizons also comes from FDEV own funds, not Kickstarter.

Last edited:
I don't understand their business decision of releasing a FPS game instead of expanding their space sim game with space sim stuff. I can think of more ships, more station types, more missions types, more involving and multi-step missions, more random encounters, maybe "dungeon"- or "raid"-style content, needing multiple wings of commanders in the same instance to kill/map/transport something (CGs are a bit like this, but don't require players to be in the same instance).

If they wanted to add "space legs", they could have added ship and station interiors, damage models for all ships, the ability to repair ships on foot when something reaches integrity 0 instead of "rebooting", EVA, etc. But nope, they wanted to add a new game into Elite, knowing there are many dozens of decent FPS games out there, but there's only one Elite Dangerous 🤯
This ☝️

The only reason to implement spacelegs as a fps is $€£¥, namely by catering to the extreme popularity of fps games.
Or can someone show me kickstarter promises of fps gameplay?
Explicitly fps, and not "spacelegs" which I would interprete like @khalismur.

Another problem mentioned before is the p2p architecture.
All fps games run on dedicated servers. P2p in this context makes me shudder.
Everyone who witnessed a shadow ram or five, or plasma salvoes hitting you while missing you by 200 meters
will see how much fun we're going into.

I'm very sceptical about the whole update and can only say "no to fps".

This ☝️

The only reason to implement spacelegs as a fps is $€£¥, namely by catering to the extreme popularity of fps games.
Or can someone show me kickstarter promises of fps gameplay?
Explicitly fps, and not "spacelegs" which I would interprete like @khalismur.

Another problem mentioned before is the p2p architecture.
All fps games run on dedicated servers. P2p in this context makes me shudder.
Everyone who witnessed a shadow ram or five, or plasma salvoes hitting you while missing you by 200 meters
will see how much fun we're going into.

I'm very sceptical about the whole update and can only say "no to fps".
I agree btw. Bet you try it though ;)
and Agony- I loved Thrust...
Pug

Combat was always going to be part of the legs experience and anyone that didn't expect that has some odd ideas. The only real question is how good the non-combat part of legs will be. It should be easier to do science on foot than in the ship, shooting things from the ship/srv to gather stuff was always a bit naff.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom