Am I the only person who is utterly unenthused right now about a generic FPS being shoehorned into my spaceship game?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Maybe the Tuesday livestream coming up has a brief snippet?
Of course the Dr. Ross Discovery Scanner was a Dev Diary, wasn't it?
I'm not worried about the planet tech - but about missing content to really make it worthwhile. We have seen footage of FPS like combat in normal gravity - so what - why haven't we seen how it looks in low gravity conditions, where people cannot run, because they would just take off the ground when trying to do that?- that is stuff i want to see, that they cared about the physics in this game as well in combat, but instead just boring normal gravity FPS.

And what about rotational momentum when they launch off the ground, making them tumble until they are back to the ground - this could be interesting and exciting to try out - if ...and only if FDev cared about the physics as well in the FPS department - so far I haven't seen anything, what would show me that they did. And that is worrisome.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the planet tech - but about missing content to really make it worthwhile. We have seen footage of FPS like combat in normal gravity - so what - why haven't we seen how it looks in low gravity conditions, where people cannot run, because they would just take off the ground when trying to do that?- that is stuff i want to see, that they cared about the physics in this game as well in combat, but instead just boring normal gravity FPS.
Nor have we seen the jet-packs, most of the weaponry and none of the missions, either board or givers, but are told they exist in the expansion.
Allegedly the next "Road to Odyssey" will show a heist...

We get the information when frontier are ready to give it, like it or not... Who knows, they may just cancel the lot next week and give me a couple of refunds as it will never be ready for release 🤷‍♂️

Frankly I think it‘s fantastic we will be able to get out of our ships and expand the universe. flying the ships are amazing, but being able to get out of them adds another level in the dream scenario. If I had any gripe, it would be not having VR support and switching to 2D in the headset. Let’s hope they at lease make it 3D even if it’s not VR. If it’s not your bag, stay in your ship. That’s the beauty of this game. You do whatever you like.

iirc ObsidianAnt mentioned in a video that a release is likely in May - a bit over 2 months away .... there should be more to show, if they have it done already. just saying.

Have you checked the original kickstarter long-term goals for the game? The FPS is there, and there's a lot more for the future. This isn't going to be just a space sim, but a complete universe experience.

I'm happy that they have been succesful enough to continue working towards it. A lot of games promise these kinds of things and never get to it.
It would have been nice if they had got the core game sorted first before FPS.

According to Frontier the latest it is due, on PC, is 31st May - without another statement being announced on the LSE, that is...

As for stuff to show, they show what they want to, when they want to, it's called marketing - sales numbers need to be maximised, the real 'meat' will be shown just before the DLC is due to be released is my presumption... Which may be never, of course ;)

to me the gravity aspect is the important part - like where should gravity come from in a planet settlement - so people would likely float around there or hop like a kangaroo. i want to see that it is cared for and not like in a settlement on a planet with normal gravity.

Think of the moon landing -they were hopping on moon not walking. Then the aspect that there might be low gravity but in a station is dense air - this creates special conditions for motion - moving in dense fluid with low gravity - meaning once off the ground you should be able to pitch and roll and even yaw to a certain degree. What a fun aspect this would be in 1st person perspective - but so far we have seen nothing of this.

Last edited:

And what about rotational momentum when they launch off the ground, making them tumble until they are back to the ground - this could be interesting and exciting to try out - if ...and only if FDev cared about the physics as well in the FPS department - so far I haven't seen anything, what would show me that they did. And that is worrisome.
This stuff all works in Space Engineers, along with things like walking on the ceiling with mag boots. If you trip in a station with rotational "gravity", you tend to skid across the floor and fly into a wall. Also, standing up is a bit "crooked" rather than straight because you always have that sideways force pushing on your feet that you have to lean into. That said, this effect may be less noticeable in the outer rings of those large ED stations.

to me the gravity aspect is the important part - like where should gravity come from in a planet settlement - so people would likely float around there or hop like a kangaroo. i want to see that it is cared for and not like in a settlement on a planet with normal gravity.

Think of the moon landing -they were hopping on moon not walking. Then the aspect that there might be low gravity but in a station is dense air - this creates special conditions for motion - moving in dense fluid with low gravity - meaning once off the ground you should be able to pitch and roll and even yaw to a certain degree. What a fun aspect this would be in 1st person perspective - but so far we have seen nothing of this.
We're not getting that.

We've been told that there is a limitation to 'gravitational feet' so wouldn't be terribly surprised if it would be low enough to have 'fun' with jetpacks but not so low that 'normal' locomotion isn't possible. (nor, of course, so great either!)
it would be awesome - if you could pitch in the air and have the jet pack -you could fly with this equipment like a jet - but if you can't pitch, nothing of this.

you know like this it would be - in gravity of 0.05 for example your hands at attack angle on a planet with some atmosphere would be enough to generate the lift required to stay airborne.

it would be awesome - if you could pitch in the air and have the jet pack -you could fly with this equipment like a jet - but if you can't pitch, nothing of this.
The CM's, when jetpacks were briefly mentioned appeared 'keen', so there may be a lot of fun to be had with them, all depending how fast they use whatever fuels them (I'd love it if they worked similarly to the pips on the SRV) limiting the silly stuff we could do.

The 'wait' for Odyssey has been a very long one, particularly when it was 'moved' from early in the new year to early Spring and now to late Spring... I'd really like alpha to be very soon, patience is fine, no complaints, but I am still allegedly human and would like to be playing with the new toys we shall have!

Jumping higher and further? Probably. First person rotation etc? Doubt it.
But what would be so hard to turn the view frustum - it would take a few more animations, that yes, but otherwise it could be done and would be a lot of fun - base jumping from mountains on planets, flying in 1st person through canyons - all the fun stuff is just missing - instead FPS like in so many other games - that is not exciting to me.

But what would be so hard to turn the view frustum - it would take a few more animations, that yes, but otherwise it could be done and would be a lot of fun - base jumping from mountains on planets, flying in 1st person through canyons - all the fun stuff is just missing - instead FPS like in so many other games - that is not exciting to me.
The first person rotation etc I suspect will be something they will code when they need to, ie when they need it for EVA. I think that's a way away.

The planets we can walk on (as opposed to land/drive) is going to be limited as Rat Catcher mentions,not too high gravity, not too low, I think for low gravity that means normal locomotion and jump pack excess height/distance. But we will see.

The first person rotation etc I suspect will be something they will code when they need to, ie when they need it for EVA. I think that's a way away.

The planets we can walk on (as opposed to land/drive) is going to be limited as Rat Catcher mentions,not too high gravity, not too low, I think for low gravity that means normal locomotion and jump pack excess height/distance. But we will see.
yeah, my fault, i expected it to be great at least when it comes to correct physics - and now it seems to be just mediocre at best - very disappointing.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom