Guide / Tutorial ANCIENT GUARDIANS MISSION GUIDE,Step by Step;111MCr(was 201MCr)

For spot 8, everything was correct. But I had to disconnect / reconnect to be able to collect it....... But, I won't cry for one million :)
Yeah sometimes you need to reload the instance if you try and fail to scan an obelisk. Also, if you are going for the 100m bonus, you will need to scan all obelisks at the locations on the maps. Checking you have the correct total reward is the quickest way to know you have correctly scanned the obelisks.

Last edited:
C10

C10 won't scan for me , the 1st time I scanned it noting happened and continued with the rest . Came back to it later scan it again and said I already had scan this but I didn't get the credit for it.

Guys, up to a few days ago all was good. I am wondering if some server update screwed things up.
Next week,probably monday, I will do another run and report back.
Until then the one thing I can tell you 100% is that my guide is correct. I have done it, so have many others. The state of the servers though is something I don't know about.
Hang in there:)

Guys, I've successfully finished the mission on PS4 yesterday. It's all good. Some tips:

1. Try it in a medium ship. In my case an Asp Scout. Fit it for exploration, meaning D modules, except an A FSD and top end scanners. Detailed Surface Scanner helps a lot. Advanced Scanner is not essential, but helps a lot too. Have at least 12T cargohold. A large ship will make maneuvering, planetary landing and landing overall problematic, specially in some maps. Unfit your hardpoints, there are no pirates on the route between the maps. But have a D shield, for the bumpy landings. Set your cargo to priority one. You don't want to autoeject artifacts because of heat damage while fuel scooping/distracted.

2. Do not dismiss your ship when in the Scarab. Ever. Dismiss is still bugged, at least on PS4, and you don't want to have to lose all your artifacts because your ship's AI went messy and suicided. There are no NPC pirates in the routes between the Ruin systems. If you're afraid of the ellusive Pirate CMDR, do it solo or PG.

3. Refuel the Scarab only when below 5% fuel. Unless you've picked a lot of Phosphorus and Sulphur. Then again, those planets are rocky, with those elements available after some surface roaming (time consuming).

4. Get used to (and use) your camera. It helps a lot with on site orientation. Just get used to its commands. Even after max distance from the SRV (250m), you can still zoom out for more width.

5. Do not shoot the artifacts too much when trying to free then from the rock clusters. They will eventually go poof. Use your Scarab to bump the rocks, it smashes them.

6. Follow OP map route between planets. Even if its Synuefe, then lots of others, then Synuefe again, it's really closer this way.

7. Sometimes when you scan an Obelisk with the wrong combo of Artifacts in your cargo, it will get "dead", even after a decoding notification. Check your messages from Nak Ram (w/e, can't remember his exact name) to see if it's a "wrong" notification or a "History/Language/Cultural etc" (the right one). If the Obelisk goes "dead" after a wrong scan, just reload instance (save+quit, log in again), it'll become a "live" Obelisk again.

8. Hit "CONFIRM" whenever switching Artifacts between the ship cargo and the SRV cargo. It's the main cause of "wrong" scans. Just be very careful to NOT HIT DISMISS SHIP.

9. If for whatever reason you lose one or two Artifacts (in my case, auto jettisoning from heat damage), keep in mind that each map has lots of Artifacts. You can actually get them on the next site, without having to go all the way back to the first map.

10. Check your SRV hull integrity frequently. Some maps are a mess to navigate. When below 25% hull, just Board Ship. It automatically repairs your Scarab and its modules. Just not the fuel, you'll still have to use Synthesis to refuel it.

11. Another great way to check your scans is opening the Transactions tab on the botton left menu and scrolling down the mission window to see the Rewards amount, it increases by one million each successful scan. One other way is checking the Messages window in the top left menu (Comms) after each scan and see if the type and number of the decodes matches OP's map reference. For example, after doing "H14", a Message with "History 14" will trigger.

AMA, I'll answer w/e I can.

Last edited:
Great guide :)

I'm about half way through and just following the maps. Unfortunately there's no way to determine which site you've nav locked until you compare co-ords, but ti isn't difficult.

I do have one request/suggestion though:
Please add the system name in text just before the pic of the map. Then I can just highlight/copy/paste into gal map for added laziness/avoidance of typos.

Fly well Cmdrs o7

Can't complete it...

Well, after so many hours, it seems that i'm stuck at 100 scans.

I'm at the 15th page and I don't get anything when scanning thos two obelisks. I tried waiting, relogging etc...

Anyone with the same problem? :|

I'm at the 15th page and I don't get anything when scanning thos two obelisks. I tried waiting, relogging etc...

Double check yourposition, CMDR. There are some very look-alike areas of Obelisks in the last map.

Otherwise just cash in the rewards you've already earned, and run the mission again from scratch, a hundred million wealthier ;)

Double check yourposition, CMDR. There are some very look-alike areas of Obelisks in the last map.

Otherwise just cash in the rewards you've already earned, and run the mission again from scratch, a hundred million wealthier ;)

^^^ This, I wrote this guide but on one occasion got caught out on that map. I was at the wrong cluster. Might redo that map...

Great guide :)

I'm about half way through and just following the maps. Unfortunately there's no way to determine which site you've nav locked until you compare co-ords, but ti isn't difficult.

I do have one request/suggestion though:
Please add the system name in text just before the pic of the map. Then I can just highlight/copy/paste into gal map for added laziness/avoidance of typos.

Fly well Cmdrs o7

Done ;)

Seeing as page 15 also confused me, I have added another version(bigger map area,allowing better use of the landscape for guidance) :)

If you are doing this in a wing, can you split the cargo between ships, or does each Cmdr need 2 of each artefact?

Ok, I've verified and reverified my position. But L1 on the 15th page just does not work. Using just a tablet, or a combination of tablet with anything else, it just refuses to work.

If you are doing this in a wing, can you split the cargo between ships, or does each Cmdr need 2 of each artefact?

You need 2 of each to be able to do all the combos,doesn't matter who hauls it but the scanner needs them in their SRV when scanning,as far as I know.
There is/was a bug where all you needed to do to get a "free" scan was have all 12 artefacts in your ship when someone else did the scans. So you just sit there in open, but that is why I do it in solo. 1stly I want to do all the scabs,2ndly it can get confusing if others scan for you, 3rdly there is a bigger chance of disconnection in open.

Ok, I've verified and reverified my position. But L1 on the 15th page just does not work. Using just a tablet, or a combination of tablet with anything else, it just refuses to work.

Odd. I was there a couple of hours ago (less than 3) and it worked fine and I got my 201m. If it really doesn't want to play ball, try logging back to main menu to reset the instance.

Top Bottom