News ANNOUNCING ELITE DANGEROUS: HORIZONS

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm well aware of the fact that I've bought into some early access game, despite the slightly misleading blazing-your-own-trail-infinite-freedom stuff. I've just never seen an expansion/stand-alone (I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be) going into pre-order when there isn't even a definitive list of features, let alone the developers admitting it'll be released as a shallow framework and expanded upon in due time (and I have really high hopes of that based on my post 1.2 experience). Just like PP I'm not sure how stuff like hidden bases on planets will conflict with whatever lore they had going prior. For instance, I'm afraid landing on planets will be anything but a seamless experience, that exploring them will simply use the current USS-style of "random" encounters and that all bodies outside the bubble will be just as barren as the rest of the universe.

It seems the more i read this thread, the more questions i have.
How many planets can we land on, just in the bubble, all or just a few.
Can we land on a planet 10,000ly away, if we do, will there be stuff to find and do.
When does Beta Horizon come. Which holiday 2015.
As a beta backer, do i need to buy beta horizon, or just the pre order.
How long will the beta phase last.
Come on FD, you cant put this in the store to buy, when so many questions remain.
It's like trying to sell a car, with no info of fuel range, engine size, seats, gadgets, ect.

The product is Elite Dangerous: Horizons, if you already have Elite: Dangerous then you receive a discount for that. If you don't then you receive a discount on the original game for the same value.

Michael

But didn't we already pay for future expansions when buying early in PB.. I.e. the things that were promised to arrive later (planetary landings etc)?

Last edited:

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Regarding beta access for Elite Dangerous: Horizons if you already have Premium Beta access or higher then you will have beta access. Otherwise you need to pre-order it with beta access.

Michael

Don't often post on the forum but this is more exciting than I actually thought it would be :D Thank you frontier, really looking forward to this.

This is all that is wrong with the pricing for the expansion, I'm on board with the pricing and a year's worth of content but not OK with the fact that we pay more than new players for the same game. That is wrong however it's dressed up

No it is not, it makes perfect sense.

Regarding beta access for Elite Dangerous: Horizons if you already have Premium Beta access or higher then you will have beta access. Otherwise you need to pre-order it with beta access.

Michael

What about the lifetime? It have beta access too, or who buy the lifetime can't get into the beta?

...I dont' see why people are getting hysterical - the payment model for pre-game, game and future major expansion were announced years ago. When I joined Beta back in the day I knew I would have to pay for landings.

Not seeing what the confusion (nor some self entitlement) is here.

The "expansion" will effectively be Elite Dangerous 2.

Players new to the game will be able to buy it for X amount. Those already in game will be able to upgrade for X - N amount.

Those who will no doubt still feel cheated that new players will get it for less than they pay overall are forgetting that they already the game and the base game will be a year old.

Same as someone who buys a Game Of The Year version of something. They get all the expansions and the base game for less than the individual costs.

Thats not the same ... Even though I already have lifetime expansions through kickstarter, its still a kick in the teeth for people who are in that position. Also GOW editions of games tend to come out quite a bit later than the original game so thats fair enough. This isnt a GOW edition this is the next step in the series.

£40 for ED + Season 2 (if you want to call it that) is great value

£40 for ED + £30 for Season 2 isn't.

If you already own ED then Season 2 (which is what I am going to call it from now one) should be at most £20. Yes new players are still getting a better deal, but at least its not quite so much a kick in the teeth.

So very excited about this, taking a spin around the surface of a moon in the little SRV.

Sorry, I did a sex wee.

"It's not a standalone expansion - Elite Dangerous Horizons is the full game and a season of expansions."

So, wait, I'm utterly confused - it's a separate game to the existing Elite? Do my commander transfers to it? I dont get it...

Me too! Sounds very much too me as if new customers get the whole shebang in one go, while us "loyal customers" who already have Elite: Dangerous get the privilege to pay twice? It better ain't so!

Michael

Thanks for the clarification. I have the normal beta access which I bought in august last year (during beta 1), so I'm assuming I won't have access to this new beta (someone more savvy about these things would be welcome to correct me if I'm wrong).

So I have to pay ~$45, on top of the $60 I already payed, if I want to be able to land on planets and drive a little buggy around? What a joke. Gonna have to do a lot more convincing than that to get me to pay so much money for so little content.

No EDH Beta for Standard Beta backers with expansion passes? Oh well, there you go!

Way too expensive ... So new players pay £40 and get ED, existing players pay £30!!!

Sorry Frontier (assuming the above is correct) but that is really not on.

PS I got this info from EuroGamer.

25% discount, cobra IV and many months of playing the game already

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom