Another ganked story. PVP off option in open play please

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
god, imagine if NPCs in this game actually had teeth.

I don't mind there being a little cannon-fodder to wade through, 'cause let's face it it's pretty fun, but I don't like having to make the decision to hamstring myself on purpose with things like "I'm going to bounty hunt in a sidewinder" or "Let's see if I can do a high ground CZ in my flight suit" if I actually want to be in any kind of danger.

I remember back when, in my unengineered viper, pulling more than one regular CZ enemy at a time actually meant something. These days I outright ignore flashing pips that aren't my target unless they're hollow.
That's why low, medium, and high security systems exist. Low security systems should have more dangerous NPC criminals, high security systems should have more dangerous NPC police. The engineering level of those NPCs should be comparable to the meta builds you would encounter in open. Missions in low security systems should come with higher rewards. This would create an incentive for players to properly outfit their ships to deal with dangerous situations. And that outfitting would help against gankers, too.

That's why low, medium, and high security systems exist. Low security systems should have more dangerous NPC criminals, high security systems should have more dangerous NPC police. The engineering level of those NPCs should be comparable to the meta builds you would encounter in open. Missions in low security systems should come with higher rewards. This would create an incentive for players to properly outfit their ships to deal with dangerous situations. And that outfitting would help against gankers, too.
And traders would know they can plan a route through high security systems to avoid danger if needed instead of always choosing fastest one.

Maybe here is problem? Maybe even npcs should be real threat? People after seeing truly dangerous NPCs could be at least prepared for possibility od rebuy. Now they aren't, because NPCs are stupid and weak. So "if npcs are sooo weak, why should I take shields? No shields, no armor, lightweight everything, let's ignore any integrity". And after it ships builded with this mind will ecnounter true danger- players outfite to fast and efficient combat.
That's the point... Commander need to know defensive, evasive and attack maneuvers. Npcs must have the same mechanics as engineered ships (according to the level... If elite, dude has to be tough!).

The only reason people want to play alone is to farm and have no threat, because NPCs don't pose a real risk. If mechanics change, there will be no distinction.

(The game's farming mechanics should change too!)

OP, have you considered the following:
shield.png

Alternatively
Taking 5 minutes to learn how to escape

They've worked great for me for years now.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If it is incorrect I don't see single reason for NOT making npcs true threat ;)
Some NPCs already are - however they are generally inside POIs or mission related - hence optional.

That some players can't set the challenge posed by the game for other players may not satisfy the former group, however Frontier consider the whole player-base (and, very likely, the different roles they may engage in) when setting the challenge, not just skilled players flying engineered combat ships.

Some NPCs already are - however they are generally inside POIs or mission related - hence optional.

That some players can't set the challenge posed by the game for other players may not satisfy the former group, however Frontier consider the whole player-base (and, very likely, the different roles they may engage in) when setting the challenge, not just skilled players flying engineered combat ships.
While not trivial, a combination of player rep, sec level, BGS state / gov etc should enable these NPCs outside POIs, because the player (through general play) is enabling them.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom