Any chance you could just...not reset the Thargoid War timers weekly?

I think what distresses me most is that here and on Discord all of the discussion is about timers and counters and game mechanics when we should be talking about systems that were lost, which ones were nearly saved due to heroic efforts of groups of pilots, where the next attack might occur, and stories like "wow ... I just barely escaped that last interdiction but I saved nearly a hundred refugees".

I honestly don't care about the mechanics of the simulation. If the weekly tick is their decision, then just don't tell us about it. Let us think we are making progress, even if its only in our imagination.

They built up a really wonderful narrative a week ago, which many players new and old have latched on to, but they just tore it down for the whole community by letting us know the mechanics of how the simulation is being managed. This should never have been announced to the players.
If we can't win, or are not allowed to win, the why is going to be discussed.
It's not "we fought the good fight and just lost this one". It's "we fought with zero chance of winning and now feel stupid for putting in the effort".

I am just going to raid abandoned settlements for stuffs and not bother actually fighting the goids or running freight, or the god awful refugee transport missions. This is a bit of a bust for me. Enjoy it how you like though.

From that other thread, quoting myself:

The wipe is the problem.
Seeing all your efforts wiped is even worse than the old 10 mt target for the Oracle or the not registering bug.

Deliver 1 ton too few and all your progress is gone and you have to start anew is hilariously bad mechanic,
and will lead to player burnout.

Combined with the nonsensical rescue numbers (Matshiru Pop 2000 rescued 200000) just shows this is all player retention/grind mechanic, for nothing.
Because if all Maelstroms are there, we talk about 200 system (read that somewhere), winning them all would take years already. And no one can seriously expect ingame content (a war) last 26 years.

I'm no fan of throwing the towel on week one, I've seen FD correct miscalculations often enough for that. But just my relighted interest in the game completely zeroed out again.

I'm no fan of throwing the towel on week one, I've seen FD correct miscalculations often enough for that. But just my relighted interest in the game completely zeroed out again.
Yup. I was happy to read between the lines on "ok, it seems pretty bleak right now, but we'll probably be given better tools later"... but unless that's an order of magnitude or more capability, letting individuals comfortably solo hydras without much skill, i don't see how this mechanic is workable.

Maybe if everybody just ignores the thargoids and goes on elsewhere and just goes on as normal, the devs will eventually do something to actually incentivize people to do something.

400 billion stars. Move elsewhere? If the devs want to burn the bubble, let them. They'll eventually see the consequences of doing that.

Yup. I was happy to read between the lines on "ok, it seems pretty bleak right now, but we'll probably be given better tools later"... but unless that's an order of magnitude or more capability, letting individuals comfortably solo hydras without much skill, i don't see how this mechanic is workable.
I bet the Port Wolf defense would have cleared the bar if the CZs weren't buggy and solo missions were actually on the boards.

From what i read, Bruce said yesterday hours befor this topic was created:
"This is our first time simulating a real-time galactic war. We'll adjust things from the original estimates as time goes."

So no need to spread panic. Everything is under control.

From what i read, Bruce said yesterday hours befor this topic was created:
"This is our first time simulating a real-time galactic war. We'll adjust things from the original estimates as time goes."

So no need to spread panic. Everything is under control.
I think “under control” might be an overstatement but you would think they are now at least “aware that everything is not under control”, perhaps?

I think what distresses me most is that here and on Discord all of the discussion is about timers and counters and game mechanics
this is a game. People who play are gamers. Of course most of the talk is going to be about how to win.

The problem with the reset is that people feel their time was wasted and will do other things. Without the reset, we would still be talking about timers, etc.

I dont think the weekly reset is the problem
The thresholds are the problem

Yesterday's (not sure if they got changed during today's maintenance, probably not) thresholds were so high that it made pointless any attempt to do anything.

Balancing this seems rather hard.
Too high and it requires a too concerted effort from too many players.
Too low and it will be done too fast and will ruin their schedule for the narrative.

I think they may also have overestimated the will of the player base to be forced into a prolonged conflict with the thargoids
(and no, what we had before U14 was not really a conflict, but something that offered an infinite amount of targets for shooting practice with no repercussions)

Last edited:
1670487360221.png

I think “under control” might be an overstatement but you would think they are now at least “aware that everything is not under control”, perhaps?
They arelady said they are aware and will make adjustments, so sounds like under control to me. I mean the Buble is burning, but it's under controled burn :ROFLMAO:

this is a game. People who play are gamers. Of course most of the talk is going to be about how to win.

The problem with the reset is that people feel their time was wasted and will do other things. Without the reset, we would still be talking about timers, etc.
They would have quit anyway even if they got 100%, cause they would complained that it's too much effort for just 1 system. Especially when other Maestorms will arrive. Which is true. But at least they got a taste of a real War for a week.

I dont think the weekly reset is the problem
The thresholds are the problem
The weekly reset is very much a problem in a game about blazing your own trail and whatever.
Because it means that unless you're coordinating with everyone else as a community effort to focus a particular system, you might as well not show up.
And if the entire community doesn't agree to help out with the systems that are important to you, then... welp, better just give up and watch your home system be lost forever because it's just not a priority. Can't work on it yourself because your progress will be reset, can't get them to help because they have other systems on their list. Sucks to be you, small groups and solo players.

The weekly reset is very much a problem in a game about blazing your own trail and whatever.
Because it means that unless you're coordinating with everyone else as a community effort to focus a particular system, you might as well not show up.
And if the entire community doesn't agree to help out with the systems that are important to you, then... welp, better just give up and watch your home system be lost forever because it's just not a priority. Can't work on it yourself because your progress will be reset, can't get them to help because they have other systems on their list. Sucks to be you, small groups and solo players.
The weekly reset is also a problem when you have a timer that says a major change will occur in X time, but you have a major event (the wiping of all progress for that week) happen on a completely different schedule which is not visible.

That's just a confusing UX and rubbish design.

Top Bottom