Any news regarding VR?

The current status is that we will get full VR in Odyssey for all cockpit based activities, and a projected screen inside the headset (or back on screen) for the on-foot parts, with potential further development in the future.
We have "almost" full VR in Horizons now and Odyssey, after a lot of pushback from the VR-using community, will not change that. Full kudos to FDev for at least shoehorning in the proposed solution of displaying the "legs" part on a 2d-projection inside VR instead of forcing a restart of the game as was the original plan.

There's a few exceptions of things which are not VR optimised in the game (such as the FSS) but apart from these Elite Dangerous currently has very very good VR support and is a leading title to showcase VR. On PC. I'm fairly certain there's no VR support on console at present. This is limited to the actual view in VR; it doesn't use interactive instruments or VR controllers etc, you still need to use your HOTAS or whatever you usually use to control your ship. That said, it is incredibly immersive despite the very poor resolution and colours of current-gen VR headsets as compared to a decent gaming monitor. For me it's a real tossup wherher the immersion beats the resolution or vice versa..

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
For me it was always in favour of VR, even on the original Vive. Now with the Index, it is no contest. VR all the way.

The current status is that we will get full VR in Odyssey for all cockpit based activities, and a projected screen inside the headset (or back on screen) for the on-foot parts, with potential further development in the future.

I'm a new player (30 to 40 hours) and have to say this is great news!! If you haven't tried VR it is a must. I use the Rift S and my system is under spec for the Rift (Radeon r9 390) yet it performs with no real problems. The most immersive VR experience you can have in my opinion. The sense of scale is almost terrifying.

All ED players should try at least once.

Top Bottom