Any plans to Improve Mining?

Because it's so simplistic it barely qualifie as game play.
It really can be surprisingly technical if you really get into it and try to maximize your efficiency. For example, I often like to laser mine and subsurface mine simultaneously, which works best if I maintain a constant orbit with the rotation of the asteroid. This played a big part in the Improvement of my flight skills when I was first getting started.

I won't lie, it definitely has some issues, but not with the actual mining process itself.

When you get right down to it, what I really miss are the old Borann days. Hundreds of people mining in one system, big Wing mining groups working together to maximize their efficiency, dedicated Prospectors and haulers. I don't think people need to be mining like that all the time, I would just like circumstances that would cause it to happen at least some of the time.

Back in the day large numbers, more than a handful, of commanders in or near whatever I was doing lead to the FPS crashing into the red and all the associated problems.
A new computer means that isn’t as likely to be an issue now but years of it has not given such activities a golden glow of nostalgia for me.

It was less simplistic when you couldn't just mine one thing at a time for max profits, but that wasn't good or something.
Honestly, it wasn't that much better back then. Everything basically cost the same, so you might as well not have had multiple Commodities at all.

What they really need are meaningful differences in Behavior between different commodities, and reasons to mine all of them.

Last edited:
Much more different than now though. Gold was 10K/T? Silver half that. That's a 50% difference between 2 of the things worth keeping. It wasn't all just 100% painite/platinum/diamonds every time all the time. Not saying it was much better but it's better then the monochrome experience we have now.

Much more different than now though. Gold was 10K/T? Silver half that. That's a 50% difference between 2 of the things worth keeping. It wasn't all just 100% painite/platinum/diamonds every time all the time. Not saying it was much better but it's better then the monochrome experience we have now.
Well at least to fix that they don’t have to touch mining at all, just the commodities markets.

It really can be surprisingly technical if you really get into it and try to maximize your efficiency. For example, I often like to laser mine and subsurface mine simultaneously, which works best if I maintain a constant orbit with the rotation of the asteroid. . .
I...I...
How do you write that down without realising you just proved my point?

Right... Great sage, please pass on your knowledge on how to tie a rubberband to hold the trigger down. Though, I fear I might not appreciate the view of drying paint enough to truly comprehend such profound wisdom.
Seriously mate you've offered no constructive feedback other than basically mining should be scrapped, luckily for you mining is optional.

O7

I...I...
How do you write that down without realising you just proved my point?
Because I didn't? If laser mining really were effortless, then it wouldn't be any more challenging to do it and subsurface mining at the same time. But efficiently doing both at the same time is quite complex and rewarding.

You might as well say, 'aiming is easy, we should remove it', neglecting the fact that you have to fly and dodge, too.

Seriously offered no constructive feedback other than basically mining should be scrapped, luckily for you mining is optional.

O7
No, I basically said that laser mining should be scrapped. Core and sub-surface mining are both pretty good game mechanics. Though core need a consistency buff, sub-surface need to have its yield buffed, and you should be able to gather mats while doing both of them.

Can you honestly say that you think laser mining is anything but the bare minimum of game design?

Can you honestly say that you think laser mining is anything but the bare minimum of game design?
To relate it back to the OP somewhat, it's more developed than EVE's laser mining, which just magics the ore into your hold, and it's literally press a button once and occasionally target a new asteroid... yet is being held as the standard somehow? 🤷‍♀️

Laser mining in Elite is way better than any mining in other games, why do things have to be complicated?
I have spent years building the right laser mining ships with the right laser set up and limpets, its relaxing and just the perfect end to a stressful day.
Not everything in life has to be at light speed or mega pew pew.

Fdev got laser mining spot on.

O7

Because I didn't? If laser mining really were effortless, then it wouldn't be any more challenging to do it and subsurface mining at the same time. But efficiently doing both at the same time is quite complex and rewarding.

You might as well say, 'aiming is easy, we should remove it', neglecting the fact that you have to fly and dodge, too.
Dear Nuffle...
Dude, it's the sub-surface mining that take the effort. You make that harder by having a bunch of flashing laser and limpets zipping around.
Also, as you in no way need to move around to laser mine, that's just you deciding to create artificial difficulty for yourself. Don't get me wrong, you pretty much have to do that if you want to enjoy ED in the long run, but don't mistake it for anything else.

Right... Great sage, please pass on your knowledge on how to tie a rubberband to hold the trigger down. Though, I fear I might not appreciate the view of drying paint enough to truly comprehend such profound wisdom.
Should be careful what you wish for. Right now, an ED designer is taking note and thinking they should either add Jitter to mining lasers or have the ship do the supercruise twitch when mining. :p

Dear Nuffle...
Dude, it's the sub-surface mining that take the effort. You make that harder by having a bunch of flashing laser and limpets zipping around.
Also, as you in no way need to move around to laser mine, that's just you deciding to create artificial difficulty for yourself. Don't get me wrong, you pretty much have to do that if you want to enjoy ED in the long run, but don't mistake it for anything else.

If you don't move around while you laser mine, you reduce your efficiency substantially. You need to not only maximize the efficiency of your collectors, but also be firing off prospectors to figure out where to go next AND maintaining laser fire to keep your collectors going at 100%.

If you don't think laser mining can be complex, you're just bad at laser mining. At my peak, I capped out at over 800 tons per hour. The average miner manages less than half that.

Top Bottom