Anyone struggling?

I’m struggling. I was so excited about this game, it sounds silly but it was a real light in the dark for me. But whilst the animals - although I’ve only actually placed flamingos in my game so far - are stunningly beautiful, I’m finding actually building anything a frustrating process.

It feels clunky and fiddly and even basic terrain work is impossible. When I did, after almost a week, finally actually place animals in a habitat, everything went wrong.

Flamingos escaping all over the place and getting injured. It wasn’t fun.

I almost feel like I’m in culture shock being used to ZT2. I keep thinking why can’t I do this? Is it just me? Will I get used to it?

I struggled a lot in Planet Coaster because I was still so used to how Rollercoaster 2 did things, that not being limited to a grid was a real shock to my system and I never really got over if.

The difference between that and PZ for me, I believe, was watching a lot of YouTubers playing the game before I did. I know that's not really the "best way" to figure things out, but I found after watching some of the more known creators do things -- including posting building tutorials -- I'm way more confident with PZ than I ever was with PC.

Maybe give that a try? Just see how other people handle the game.

Practice makes perfect. Keep at and it does come together.

Watching some tutorials on Youtube is definitely useful.

And when you see some of the magnificent speed builds that some folk put together, you start to realise that building large and wonderful structures with the tools available becomes second nature ...

And the tools are in fact really rather good. They are complex, not simple, and that is too allow full movement in the X, Y and Z axes, and 360 degree rotation in all three planes. This allows you to construct exactly what you want, exactly how you want it.

I never played planet coaster, so i started carefully.
Can't complain, all works fine. (well... now... i have 70+ hours on it and several catastrophes behind me)
My zoo is looking like an uninspired piece of crap ( square sized exhibits with no beauty-work, just efficient in keeping the animals at 100%welfare), but
it works splendid.

Just take your time to understand whats happening.

I won't touch transport rides again for they make me sick, and i won't try to build fancy things before zoo no2.

Last edited:
Watching some tutorials on Youtube is definitely useful.

I don't see it that way. Many are very skilled at building something and it can be incredibly frustrating if you can't do it yourself. Maybe that's why you stop playing the game.

I would be very simple: You don't watch any videos until you've played it yourself for a while.

Because: There's nothing satisfying about having an idea for a shelter, building it and being proud of it when it works. Even if it's just a box, you built it and the animals like it.

It's totally frustrating when you try to build a palace from YT Tony's PZ World and you can't do it because you don't have the skills. Which is normal when you're just starting a game. In the videos the steps always look totally simple, just because the guy knows what he's doing. Unfortunately the reality looks different.

I don't see it that way. Many are very skilled at building something and it can be incredibly frustrating if you can't do it yourself. Maybe that's why you stop playing the game.

I would be very simple: You don't watch any videos until you've played it yourself for a while.

Because: There's nothing satisfying about having an idea for a shelter, building it and being proud of it when it works. Even if it's just a box, you built it and the animals like it.

It's totally frustrating when you try to build a palace from YT Tony's PZ World and you can't do it because you don't have the skills. Which is normal when you're just starting a game. In the videos the steps always look totally simple, just because the guy knows what he's doing. Unfortunately the reality looks different.

True, watching speed build YT videos could be quite disheartening because they are very good at what they do. However there are some good tutorial videos out there (both during the beta and post-release) that cover a lot of the basics and include a few good tips and tricks, well worth watching IMHO. Off top of my head some of the Paulsley videos are very good and Rudi Remmenkal (sp?) just did a 5-parter that covers a fairly simple but pretty custom building and habitat.

Some good advice in this thread already. Here's a rundown on my current process:

1. Check the Zoopedia for barrier class & height requirements, and the animal's space requirements.

2. Complete any terrain modifications & lay down my barrier, with the keeper gate.

3. Once the keeper gate is added, you now get a habitat menu when you click on the barrier. On the 2nd tab of that menu, you can now see exactly how big the enclosure is, so double check that against the animal's space requirements.

4. Send one animal into the enclosure.

5. Now that he's inside, give him a few seconds to run around and then pause the game. Click the heatmap on the bottom left corner while your animal is selected. On the 2nd option (looks like a shelter) make sure it's on "Traversible Terrain". The blue is where he can go. If any of the red icons appear, that's where he can escape. Use this to plug any gaps you might have.

6. While the game is still paused, animal is still selected, check the 2nd tab on him, where it shows the terrain paint levels he requires. Paint away until those requirements are met.

7. Again, game still paused, animal still selected, click on his foliage tab. Go to the Nature menu and filter those by his continent & biome requirements. Meet those requirements however you want. If this enclosure is right next to another one, this is a good time to check whether some of their foliage overlaps. You can do this by clicking on the barrier and checking the foliage menu from there. If you see any foliage in red, it's not right for the animals you have here. You can mouse over them to put a white outline around the foliage so you can adjust as needed.

8. Game is still paused. Plop down a shelter & bedding. Unpause the game for a few seconds while you go back to the heat maps and select the paw print, then "Shelter" from the drop down menu. This will show you what the animal is counting as shelter. Check that the shelter requirements are being met by clicking on the animal and checking in the 2nd tab. If you chose to use actual terrain as the shelter, you'll want to check this as part of #5, in case you need to do more terraforming.

9. Put down the animal's enrichment items, food, water, etc. I recommend that even if you have a river in your habitat, throw down one of those automated water pans anyway. This will at least eliminate the bug where animals can be swimming in a lake and die of dehydration.

10. Once everything is down, make sure you have your staff sorted out. I usually rename the habitat "Flamingo Enclosure", then either include it in another Work Zone, or create a new one and assign staff to it. By default, every barrier is set for the mechanic to only check on them annually. This is not enough, so click on the barrier, go to the far right tab, and change the mechanic to "Every 6 months". If you haven't researched the animal yet, assign a researcher to them now. Keep in mind that researchers have to enter the habitat every now & then to observe, so placing a research lab close to the animal you're researching does wonders.

11. Place down your education, your donation boxes, and make sure your guest path is in order. The "snap to barriers" option on the guest path works well if you want it snug against the barrier wall.

12. You can now unpause the game and finish decorating your enclosure. If you add things like rocks, trees, or anything that might effect the animal's traversible terrain and allow them to escape, then click on them and double check their traversible terrain again after placing. You'll need to have the game unpaused at least 5 seconds or so after placing the item for the traversible terrain to update.

EDIT: I forgot to add a very important step. I would usually do this right before I unpause the game, though it's not as critical, depending on the weather. Check the Zoopedia for the animal, and look at the Natural Habitat tab. Check the temperature range that the animal is comfortable in. Place appropriate coolers or heaters depending on their comfort range, and the temperature range of your zoo (which will be different depending on your zoo's biome). I like to give them about 4-5 degrees of wiggle room. So, for my temperature North American zoo, that gets snow about once a year, if I'm working on an Okapi exhibit that is comfortable in 8-40 degrees, I set heaters for 12 degrees. These heaters do not cost energy until the temperature falls below 12 degrees, so you're not spending money on them until the weather gets cold.

Last edited:
Problematic, but of course I understand your argument. The problem is that many beginner tutorials are not at all. I remember a PC beginner tutorial where they explained how to build stairs with 3 steps. But to do that, you have to build pixels exactly with shops and flatten the layers on the pixel exactly with the tools.

If I had watched the tutorial, which was meant for beginners, before I had played 100 hours of PC, I would have uninstalled PC and never played again.

But of course you are right, there are many good tutorials. But by the time you find them, the frustration has grown again...

I’m struggling. I was so excited about this game, it sounds silly but it was a real light in the dark for me. But whilst the animals - although I’ve only actually placed flamingos in my game so far - are stunningly beautiful, I’m finding actually building anything a frustrating process.

It feels clunky and fiddly and even basic terrain work is impossible. When I did, after almost a week, finally actually place animals in a habitat, everything went wrong.

Flamingos escaping all over the place and getting injured. It wasn’t fun.

I almost feel like I’m in culture shock being used to ZT2. I keep thinking why can’t I do this? Is it just me? Will I get used to it?

The Planet series does have a bit of a learning curve at FIRST. I struggled a lot when Planet Coaster first came out. It does eventually become less of a struggle the more you play around. It is a lot of fun the more you get used to the controls. I suggest just loading up a Sandbox Park (So money doesn't become an issue) and just start messing around the Items and controls. The only to real way get better at the game is to just play it. You might mess up a BUNCH of times, but eventually you'll be building a great starter zoo in no time.

Yes those 5 tutorials were indeed very useful. Particularly the one on pathing. Paths can be fiddly as hell in this game.

I just startet my zoo after the first tutorial mission... never played planco... you don't want to see how my zoo looks XD
I thought i will fk it up and have to start again, so i just learned by doing.
Somehow i got it working, 30 habitats now, 350 animals, 150 employees (damn vendors) and a 5 star rating,
but it looks like a clusterfk.

I can really recommend those 5 videos, i just looked over them.
Would have spared me quite some nerves.

Iv got hours into Planet Coaster, which as far as building goes, they're both the same. Or, close enough. And, I got quite a few hours into this already, including the beta. And, yet I STILL get ed off over the paths...lol Sometimes, no matter what I do, they just dont wanna work right for me. Makes me want to throw my mouse when I have to spend over an hour screwing with a dang path.
Love how they done building shops, scenery, the choices you have for all that, and the different ways of manipulating them to get a unique look that just your zoo/park has. But, that pathing...Oh Lort is it a pain. I would love to see them redo pathing in some way. I wouldnt care if it worked more like building a hut. You have pieces, in different shapes and sizes, and you snap those together to make a path. The whole stretchy, guess at what your gonna get pathing just doesnt feel like it should be in their game. They did so well with all the other building aspects.

I had a nightmare with flamingoes today. It bordered on comical! I downloaded a habitat from the workshop but the keepers couldn’t reach the food and enrichment items so I ended up with protestors and sad animals. Cue me trying to mess around with the terrain and habitat... there were flamingoes escaping left, right and centre, then my game crashed three times and I had to keep repeating the whole thing. In the end I gave up and started a new zoo! Even trying to delete the habitat and animals was a nightmare. There were boxes everywhere... I just wanted to delete them not have to bother sending them to the trade centre.
I still love the game, but my god I’m not a natural!

I would stay away from anything from the workshop yet.

Many things are looking good, but they are not testet for functionality.
That + the one or another bug and everything you can't backtrack can give you hell.

I have been playing the Career mode because it teaches you how to do different things, but i also found it useful to practice using the different tools in sandbox. My tip is ...dont forget you have an undo button

Edited due to my winging

Last edited:
Yeah,the building is still very clunky,building parts connecting wrong way,and theres so much chance that your building part angle differs from another by 0.04% point.In bigger buildings,it matters.

Top Bottom