Anyone with an RX 6000 series card able to get Odyssey to run with the 22.5.2 drivers?

It has been enabled for previous drivers - found something online which suggested disabling it - did that, rebooted, no change.

It defaults to disabled, but it, and 10 bpc on the display page, should both be enabled for HDR.

Haven't tried it with Windows 11.

So.... does this news mean an end to playing ED on 6000-series graphics cards?

No, it just means you use the recommended drivers (Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL)) and not the optional ones (Adrenalin 22.7.1 Optional) - https://www.amd.com/de/support/grap.../amd-radeon-6800-series/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt .

And maybe the update fixes it. But it may be a driver issue because its not only ED that has problems with the newer drivers.

So.... does this news mean an end to playing ED on 6000-series graphics cards?
I just got a 6750XT on Monday. I have 3 accounts, steam, FD and Epic, respectively. They're accessible with /runas on different pc accounts. FD and Steam use dxvk, and I had no problem approaching and landing on planets. I'm on the 22.5.2 drivers.

The Epic account got the orange sidewinder on planet approach, as expected. I copied the dxvk files and the problem was solved. So, I'm a happy customer, for the time being. I highly recommend this method.

No, it just means you use the recommended drivers (Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL)) and not the optional ones (Adrenalin 22.7.1 Optional) - https://www.amd.com/de/support/grap.../amd-radeon-6800-series/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt .
The main issue being how many other games it impacts the performance of when you are using pre- 22.6 drivers. For many on these forums, sure, ED is your single "forever game" and everything else takes a back seat, but that doesn't represent most gamers.

When the primary fix to extricate yourself from crash loops so far outside of via drivers was "play Horizons", bringing the issues into Horizons too is concerning on a number of fronts.

Last edited:
The game's broken for a cool 3 months and zero communication from Frontier as usual. Uninstalling the game, not gonna butcher lots of performance on other games just for the incompetence of Frontier. Also tried DXVK, crashing still.

The game's broken for a cool 3 months and zero communication from Frontier as usual. Uninstalling the game, not gonna butcher lots of performance on other games just for the incompetence of Frontier. Also tried DXVK, crashing still.

Have been experimenting with other dxvk.conf settings and my current best results are with the following:

Code:
dxgi.maxFrameLatency = 2
dxgi.emulateUMA = True
dxgi.numBackBuffers = 2
dxgi.tearFree = False
d3d11.relaxedBarriers = True

Right now I'm seeing performance almost 5% better than native D3D11 with the previous (22.5.1) driver with comparable or better load times and frame pacing.
Just wondering if these are the config options you're still running with, or if you've found any more tricks to add to the list since writing that.

Just wondering if these are the config options you're still running with, or if you've found any more tricks to add to the list since writing that.

I'm not currently using DXVK much as certain planets crash to desktop with it and looking at them through blue tinted shades is less annoying than the game crapping itself. Native DX11 performance is also about 10% above DXVK performance with the newer drivers.

That said, those DXVK those settings should still work, though you can probably omit the "dxgi.emulateUMA" line.

Edit: Having good results eliminating crashes so far with the new LOD offset in DXVK 1.10.3.

Current dxvk.conf settings:
Code:
dxgi.deferSurfaceCreation = True
dxgi.maxFrameLatency = 1
dxgi.numBackBuffers = 2
dxgi.tearFree = False
d3d11.relaxedBarriers = True
d3d11.samplerLodBias = -0.5
d3d11.zeroWorkgroupMemory = True

This is with PermitNativeDoubles="true" in AppConfig.xml (which doesn't work in DX11 on these drivers).

The frame latency and back buffer settings are to mitigate input lag, and relaxedBarriers is a performance tweak, but the rest are primarily stability tuning. It's likely that not all of those settings are required, but I'm still isolating things.

"samplerLodBias" does cost a tiny bit of performance, but, in addition to apparently unbreaking some crash-prone LOD transitions, it does make textures look better, at the cost of a nearly imperceptible bit of shimmer. Not sure if stronger values will be as stable.

Last edited:
This dxvk file makes me what to build a Linux rig to play around with this.

I'm still testing this, but I'm sure I can have the 64bit version run in windows. But when I go to VR, I get the white out window and have to force quit it.

Non-VR, mine finished building the planets, but I didn't fly out to see if I could land or not. Nice if this is a workaround after upgrading to either 5.2, 6.1, or 7.1.

BTW, what's the name of an app that lets me see what library file is being accessed? It was in one of these threads about dxvk. It looked very nice.

Still get the orange sidewinder error near planet surfaces. Cant do anything after login except to accept the quit with an orange sidewinder. Using a 6700XT, latest driver.

BTW, what's the name of an app that lets me see what library file is being accessed? It was in one of these threads about dxvk. It looked very nice.

Process Explorer?

Still get the orange sidewinder error near planet surfaces. Cant do anything after login except to accept the quit with an orange sidewinder. Using a 6700XT, latest driver.

Did you try:

disabling double precision floats in the terrain generation settings of AppConfig.xml (PermitNativeDoubles="false")?

Process Explorer?

Did you try:

I cant find any AppConfig.xml inside (i guess) the "C:\Users\sebge\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics" Folder.

Do i have to craete it by myself?

If yes, how should the parameter be applied?

Is this correct?

<AppConfig>
<Display>
<PermitNativeDoubles>False</PermitNativeDoubles>
</Display>
</AppConfig>

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I cant find any AppConfig.xml inside (i guess) the "C:\Users\sebge\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics" Folder.
The AppConfig.xml file is in the same directory as EliteDangerous64.exe, in my case: F:\Frontier\EDLaunch\Products\Elite-Dangerous-Odyssey-64\AppConfig.xml

The change should look something like this:
Code:
	<TerrainSettings 
		PermitFmaOptimizations="true" 
		PermitNativeDoubles="false" 
		PreferNativeDoubles="false" 
	</TerrainSettings>

Okay, but it seems there are now some graphical issues with scanned surfaces.

After scanned a planet and landed on them, i have this blueish layer on my hud:

Attachments

• blueish2.jpg
    blueish2.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 91
Aren't the last 2 driver updates still listed as "optional"? I have Adrenelin set to only use recommended, so don't get the DX11 boost, but am not getting the issues with ED.

Top Bottom