[Application] EDJP and EDJPO

EDJP (Elite Dangerous Journal Processor)

So I have a good chunk of the new version ready to go. Still in beta, but features include:

Overlay
The FSS overlay has been tweaked so the lines align slightly better, and it's been built directly into EDJP rather than the now defunct EDJPO. It also gives small text popups for useful information in the bottom left and right corners. You'll need to use Borderless Mode, and it looks best if you can find the EuroStile font.

Boxel Explorer
Previously, this was a separate app I wrote to help explain boxels and their relationships to each other (and different masscodes) within a sector. Now incorporated into EDJP to give you a better idea of where within a sector you are.

Boxel Surveys
If you've ever visited all the systems within a boxel, EDJP can help. It will automatically put your next target system into the clipboard for easy pasting into the Galaxy Map, and will ensure you don't visit any systems you've already been to.

ELW List
The ELW List functionality is back and better. It can now determine star types amongst other things. It won't upload system map pics as this is no longer a requirement of the List (but worth doing for rarer discoveries).

ELW Rarity
Currently, this only works if you're uploading to EDSM but this requirement will be lifted in a later release. You can easily check past discoveries, or your current system to check how rare it might be.

Exploration Data Value
This is only a prototype at the moment, but it will keep track of your outstanding data. If you find it is giving you a non-zero value after selling all data, just use the Wipe button. It will also report estimated values while scanning bodies.

Route Plotting
It can help you create and follow routes by copying your next waypoint into the clipboard upon arrival to the current waypoint. It can also optimize a set of waypoints to the most efficient visiting order. It can also read neutron routes directly from Spansh.

Already Visited?
Instead of the Visited Stars Cache, EDJP can check if a system is already in EDSM when selected on the Galaxy Map.

Plenty more to come!

Edit: Forgot to mention - you can use CTRL + [ and CTRL + ] to jump back/forward in Surveys/Routes (these are now configurable in Config).

Last edited:
Sweet!

For those who might need it, here's a quick-and-dirty guide to using EDJP:

1. After you discover an Earth-like, make your first screenshot of the system map info of the planet
2. If there are moons, scan them even if someone else discovered them (don't be like me!)
3. After you've finished your play session, run EDJP
4. Do the "ELW list maker" first
5. Paste the resulting spreadsheet from your clipboard to your favourite spreadsheet program, edit it, and don't forget to check if the screenshots are fine!
6. Copy the resulting sheet to your clipboard, then click the "Generate BBCode" button in EDJP
7. Post the resulting stuff on the forum

Thanks again for making this, Matt!

Last edited:
Great idea!! Looking fwd to it saving me quite some time compiling my list if/when I ever make it back from DWE :D

Uploaded from my main's account. Think I did it right (ELW list maker -> Upload ELW system data to EDJP: Enabled > Start). Let me know if the entries for CMDR Thadius Wynter uploaded fine. I won't be using it to generate my submissions (I already have a method I find cathartic), but wanted to submit data if it helps your dev efforts.

Tried to run it for my 2nd account (runs on a different Windows user acct thru runas.exe, so I did the same for EDJP). Note ED was running, though at main menu. Guess the game doesn't let release the write lock on the journal until you exit to desktop entirely. This should be fixable, right? :)

Error:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignor this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately..

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\redacted\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal.170217131330.01.log' because it is in user by another process.

Details:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\redacted\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Journal.170217131330.01.log' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path)
at EliteDangerousJournalProcessor.Form2.<button2_Click>d__6.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EliteDangerousJournalProcessor
Assembly Version: 0.1.3.0
Win32 Version: 0.1.3
CodeBase: file:///Z:/Downloads/EliteDangerousJournalProcessor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
EliteTools
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
System.Net.Http
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Net.Http/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Net.Http.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Newtonsoft.Json
Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
Microsoft.CSharp
Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Numerics
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Dynamic
Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Should have uploaded about 115 from one CMDR and 270 from the other.

Hit me up on any of the various ED related Discords if needed.

Last edited:
Tried to run it for my 2nd account (runs on a different Windows user acct thru runas.exe, so I did the same for EDJP). Note ED was running, though at main menu. Guess the game doesn't let release the write lock on the journal until you exit to desktop entirely. This should be fixable, right? :)

Thanks for that, I'll look into it - should be an easy fix. And yes I saw all your submissions - thanks. Can't rep you, so +1 vrep.

Edit: Uploaded new binary that should fix this.

Last edited:
[*]System star types - this information if not in the journal at all, so you will still need to gather that from the Galaxy Map

There's a bit in the source code of the latest version of my hab-zone calculator which makes a simple (sometimes wrong) guess at it based on the star's parameters, if you wanna use that - or I have a more accurate version knocking around somewhere I can dig out which is close to 100% accurate except for certain star types that can't be distinguished (typically stuff like MS giant vs S giant, that sort of thing) if you like.

I hope they add the information to the journals, it is a big miss and would be very helpful.

Last edited:
There's a bit in the source code of the latest version of my hab-zone calculator which makes a simple (sometimes wrong) guess at it based on the star's parameters, if you wanna use that - or I have a more accurate version knocking around somewhere I can dig out which is close to 100% accurate except for certain star types that can't be distinguished (typically stuff like MS giant vs S giant, that sort of thing) if you like.

I hope they add the information to the journals, it is a big miss and would be very helpful.

I've requested the information be added to the Journal, seems like it'd be easy to add to the FSDJump event but I guess it's not something most devs are interested in. We'll see, I guess.

As for the star-type guesser - I'm not sure it'll be useful in EDJP, but I'd be extremely interested in the source code for the more accurate version to use in EDJPO if you manage to dig it out...

I've uploaded a new version of EDJP here to fix an issue where FD aren't (or weren't) enclosing the target name in quotes when a player interdicted another player. I guess that's something not too many explorers do, hence not hearing about it until now! :). Thanks to Spacebaboy for the report.

Er my Norton AntiVir removes it every time I decompress the file!

Any ideas?

-----

Edit - I got it! Some not very obvious settings were required to get it from quarantine.

Last edited:
I've updated EDJP to version 0.2.0

Besides a bunch of bug fixes, this version has 2 new features:
* The ability to merge and strip non-relevant information from journals, particularly useful if you upload journals directly to EGO.
* A route planner that will give you the shortest* route to visit multiple (currently up to 50) systems.

[*] Technically it might not be the actual shortest route - but it'll be pretty close (it's a complex problem
!)

Hi Matt,

I just upgraded to the new version, but when I run it an error "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: key" is reported.

Journals to process is set to run everything after 15/10/2017 (I was creating an entry for an ELW I discovered yesterday).
Auto-upload sysmap to imgur is unticked.
Upload ELW system data to EDJP is ticked.
Output is set to Clipboard

EDJP processes the journals but stops with the error before generating the list.
Once the error dialogue box is closed, EDJP shuts down.

I used the previous version without a problem... any ideas?

Thanks

Oh, I've run across that as well, but it was a problem with Elite's journals, not EDJP. The problem was that for some reason, one of the chat message events was bisected with a newline that shouldn't have been there. Couldn't reproduce the bug though, but now I wonder if the same hasn't happened to you too.

Oh, I've run across that as well, but it was a problem with Elite's journals, not EDJP. The problem was that for some reason, one of the chat message events was bisected with a newline that shouldn't have been there. Couldn't reproduce the bug though, but now I wonder if the same hasn't happened to you too.

If that's the case here, I'd be very interested in the actual Journal file causing the problem. Should at least be able to handle cases like that and continue... but hard to write for cases I haven't experienced myself, and aren't in the spec :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom