ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

One last thing to note for those who are insane enough to do the numbers game thing.

About 3-4 HRPs is the magic number between if you're running Reactive+Thermal HRP or HD Mil Grade all the way. You'll get more absolute armor out of Mil Grade but the trade off in resistances results in an almost exact trade off.

Running more HRPs means you should run Milgrade.

Last edited:
A new collection of systems has been added for newly-created Commanders, and can only be accessed by pilots until they earn their first Combat, Trade or Exploration rank. In addition, the authorities here will provide simpler missions that even the smallest of Sidewinders can complete.

Across the galaxy, new Commanders will also have a reduced rebuy until they gain their first Combat, Trade or Exploration rank, a step in the path towards greatness!
Since running a basic FSS scan of a single moderately-large system or picking up a few materials while driving the SRV will get to "Mostly Aimless", and a single low-end data courier mission will provide enough trade profit (5k) for "Mostly Penniless", this feels like it won't be all that useful and the average beginner is going to be kicked out of these systems pretty quickly. I'd expect that a lot of players will lose the "reduced rebuy" benefit well before they've managed to add any non-loaned modules at all to their Freewinder in the first place.

EDIT: wait, data courier isn't a trade mission type. Pretend I said one of those 2t Harmless haulage missions.

Unless this comes with a bit of a rebalance of the Trade and Exploration ranks to bring them back into line with Combat, it might not help very much.

The Advanced Docking Computer will not only allow you to dock, but also allow you to automatically undock from a station without anxiously worrying about getting stuck inside the mail slot. Let's face it, it will also help with those embarrassing Type-10 spoiler moments!​
Hopefully this means that the "NPCs launch and hover backwards, getting completely stuck" bug has been fixed ;)
Available at your nearest starship department store (i.e. Outfitting) comes the new Supercruise Assist module. While in Supercruise, you'll be able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!​
Finally, a feature of use to pirates! Now not only are people flying through supercruise in a slow, boring and predictable fashion ... they're also going to be encouraged to be even more AFK than before. Well, it's one way to give the NPCs a chance of catching players.​
Free module slots for everyone!
With the introduction of these new modules, small ships will be outfitted with two additional size one Optional Internal slots, while medium and large ships will also receive one additional Optional Internal slot. This will automatically and retroactively apply to all relevant ships.
That's going to be interesting for inter-ship balance. Vulture + Viper IV will benefit a lot from two extra size 1 HRPs, for example. For players who can fly their own ships, it's a couple of extra limpet controller types on a multirole, or extra prospector/collectors on a miner.

Navigation Tab
Pilot's Handbook
Trading Screen Improvements
Interstellar Initiatives
...and there's more!

• Revamped main menu layout, including featuring GalNet news and other important information.
  • Training Missions and Challenge Scenarios will now be accessible via the cockpit, allowing you to brush up your skills right from the seat of your ship.
  • Loading screen tips.
  • Bug fixes.
Definitely some good stuff in here.

Last edited:
New systems for new players is pointless. Games been out for how long and we wanna start this stupid stuff now? Stop wasting ours and your time and actually improve the game, not add more nonsense
poopoo like this is why the player base has dropped
They want to have more players and they figured that some clunky mechanics makes it much harder than it should be. They used to live in 1980 mentality when people would not immediately quit the game after crashing into a station a few times. Apparently, they got somebody with common sense in the team now and are trying to do their best considering the outdated gameplay design they already have.

Sounds great :) Thanks for the news. I didn't expect the first update so soon.
I'm really interested in the "Interstellar Initiatives". If it gives ED some narratives we can hook in (being some kind of quests more than trading or farming), I'll be really happy :)
Can't wait.

So this is basically an acknowledgement of how the C&P mechanics aren't working?

I wonder if we'll now simply see gankers have a second account aimed at simply "farming" in these zones... With guaranteed noobs only!

This! Is! So! True!

This indeed is an acknowledgement that C&P isn't working, but instead of fixing it, they're implementing something trivial to circumvent. Pick a copy on sale with your weekly allowance and off you go, mining salt in the basement and feeling oh so mighty and strong... Well, at least this non-fix will look like doing something and help the bottom line. Unless you take into account the numerous gank victims who will turn on their heels and leave, never to buy Horizons, paint jobs or future updates...

Some penciled stats for the class.

Hulltank FDL with a 5D MRP gets 43 across the board resistances with 3k hull. 2x4 MRP Dropship gets just north of 5k hull. The banktank Vulture gets 1400 hull with MRP. Viper IV has been speculated to hit 3k hull, which is a tad bit less than the average FAS before Engineers 2.0.

Let that sink in.

Some ships are getting scary buffed and this is just cherry-picking among my group.

Oh yes, I ran some numbers for builds I use and the amount of extra Armour they get is stupid, and as I said the FDL once again gets a buff pushing it only higher above everything else.

I have updated EDSY with the new slot layouts: https://edshipyard.net

Late, but thanks FD, for a fine upcoming update as usual like all the other appreciated updates in the past.

I'm here Duck. Not really in "fellow wk support" but fair enough I'm aligned to where the advanced autopilot is a good change. I don't really see how the docking computer changes would be dumbing down the game, but more of a compromise to help out players who have trouble fine tuning the docking and leaving the mail slots. By precedence FE2&FFE as mentioned had a far more comprehensive autopilot that did everything for cruising to quick system planet or station approach and instant docking when the stardreamer could be turned up to max. And the addition of a semi-autopilot function to supercruise has been part of long wished for convenience changes. Which again has precendence in Elite franchise lore where in FF2&FFE the game informed you your latest issue of your magazine subscription had arrived often after a hyperspace jump. So you could read your issue and the articles while the ship was in autopilot to the destination including approach and docking. Which could also be a challenge where if the autpilot module was damaged or destroyed, one had to roughly estimate the approach and do the manual landing and docking. The advanced docking seems to be entirely optional, and the extra type 1 slots could help with more space for the preferred size 1 modules such as the various alternate type of limpet controllers etc. and possible future modules that could pertain to atmospherics or spacelegs. (There was an atmospherics array module in FE2&FFE). While there is debate about the "size" of type 1 slots being able to fit in small ships which imo are already accounted for, consider that at least ED hasn't gone the way of other space genre games that fudge it to a fantasy or overtech level such as the X-games using dimensional miniaturizing tech or whatever to double cargo space in the same volume.

Last edited:
This is great but, for the love of god, don;t just announce, let us know what you are working on - what are you guys afraid of.

Thank you.

AFK flying?

Time to get my half-built bot down off the shelf!

The only thing you need to auto-trade is the align-to-destination, and that’s been publicly available for two years.

Everything else is in game and in Voice Attack.

Excellent! Voice Attack profile needs updating again!
I can undock and navigate in super cruise just fine, but sometimes I want to read galnet or check the codex while flying.
More autopilot = moar tea! (y)

Hopefully this means that the "NPCs launch and hover backwards, getting completely stuck" bug has been fixed ;)
in all likelihood it will become "Player launch and hover backwards, getting completely stuck" bug. This is part and parcel of using Docking Comp.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, he's complaining about improvements that were in the earlier games - everything from Frontier Elite II (I can't say for the original) had an in system autopilot that you could buy. Granted it was almost a requirement in that game (where it is just a nice to have here) but it was always there.

There is one thing mind, I remember the "Advanced Docking Computer" from those games, it quite frequently killed you...
The DC in the original Elite got you killed quite often as well.

Expensive and not really worth having once you figured out how to line up, pitch turn and floor it to the mailslot and then some handwavium device caught and parked you automatically. I chucked one each on my taxis and for the longest time sat there and watched them all the way to the clamps engaging...

Turns out they're a lot more reliable these days! :D

Kudos to the insightfull upgrade on the relocation of the docking computer & new SC modules. Since these are now standardized control modules, will they be located in the core or optional module section of the outfitting menu? Also can you remove either of these units to create a free class 1 space for other modules? And will the automatic addition of these affect the existing jump ranges of all ships?

Thanks Will and FD.

Very nice improvements and great idea to support the new player base as the more people that play and stay can only be good for the game. Don't make it too easy though as I believe the steep learning is definitely one of the most endearing aspects of the game.

Great quality of life stuff going in, always wanted to be able to auto orbit planets and looking forward to checking out the month long activities as I got really bored of community goals.

This is going to make botting in Powerplay so much easier. Thanks, I'm looking forward to watching the numbers whizz up.

Glad to see you've made your position on Bots clear with this update.

I actually have the opposite reaction - I think this is a tacit admission that computer vision techniques have gotten good enough that the lack of an auto-launch sequence is no longer an obstacle to bot-makers. FDev will have to rely on other things than mere pattern recognition to control them.

Maybe let new CMDRs get past a couple of ranks first?

Agreed. Mostly-whatever takes just a few thousand credits. If that is really how it works, just completing the initial data courier mission that new players get automatically would boot them out of the starter systems. I'd set the noob-gate at around rank 3 or 4 (where harmless etc are 1).

I really want to hate this but actually you can either grab a drink or read galnet or the codex or even holome without reading something then realising the target is 3kls behind you!

The Hutton Truckers hate this one weird trick! :p

Hutton Orbital is going to sell out of free Anacondas.

Just nice to hear from the Team, update looks real nice and it will be a pleasure once again to catch Adam coming forward to drop all the good news on us!

Cheers FDev!! o7

Top Bottom