Notice April Update - Known Issues (24/04/2019)

Don'r you start on my Hello world program, that took me 1.5 hours of hard grafting that code …...:LOL:
I am now working on a new program called goodbye world...….

How about this?

Code:
.MODEL Small
.STACK 100h
.CONST
  HW DB "Goodbye World!$"
.CODE

start:
  MOV AX,@data
  MOV DS,AX ; watch da pointers!
  MOV DX, OFFSET DGROUP:HW
  MOV AH, 09H ; stdout
  INT 21H
  MOV AH, 4CH ; ancient System.exit(0)
  INT 21H ; get ready to exit world now...
end start

Compiles with TASM. Ah, good old INT 21H...those were the days. 😊

O7,
🙃

Have a slight bug
when entering the Detailed surface scanner I get the error in screen."this can not be used in this hud mode. press L-CTRL H to change"
I am not in the combat hud mode. this dosent affect game play just shows on screen

You are twisting my words. When I say "has become de facto standard" doesn't in no way mean I'm okay with that. It's just a fact and it's there, no matter you or me or anyone else would mutter about. Also, about cars. You own your car (usually, if not leased). With software it's common to sign a licence which is very different from ownership. This software is not yours.

I don't buy this "de facto standard" argument, none of the games I have played have bugs so glaringly noticeable.

The old bugs that remain unfixed for months and even years bother me much more than new bugs being introduced. Like a termite infestation, bugs continue to multiply and eat away the very framework of the game that was once enjoyable for me to play. This has been going on since the first update was released on PS4, and based on this latest update, it's not going to get any better.

As for "all programs have bugs" - sure, but ED has the worst bugs, at least on my platform. If all my software was as buggy as ED, well, I'd switch to a different kind of buggy - an AMISH BUGGY 😂

So many bug threads now it's almost impossible to find the right answer. Aside from switching Steam to "off-line" mode, is there any way to start the launcher from Steam and NOT have it already logged me in? For security reasons, I like to enter my P/W each time. It's an OCD thing.

I don't buy this "de facto standard" argument, none of the games I have played have bugs so glaringly noticeable.

I've played a few that put ED to shame in this regard, but ED is pretty bad.

I mean, every time they fix 800 bugs, I expect them to ressurect 200 old ones and conjure 200 more new ones at the same time, but things like module priorities resetting every other instance transition or losing half of ones frame rate due to some renderer oversight are very nearly game breaking and should never have passed QA.

So many bug threads now it's almost impossible to find the right answer. Aside from switching Steam to "off-line" mode, is there any way to start the launcher from Steam and NOT have it already logged me in? For security reasons, I like to enter my P/W each time. It's an OCD thing.

The credentials for ED are not stored inside Steam, but the ED launcher. For ED, a Frontier account is the single source of truth. That's why you need a second login after buying the game via Steam and have to enter that email verification code plus your FD credentials before being able to log into the game. Steam itself is simply a wrapper and only useful for updates. You can just add a shortcut to the ED launcher (<Steam directory>\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\EDLaunch.exe) to your desktop and start the game from there. Steam won't boot up at all that way. So the 'store credentials' thing boils down to the ED launcher. I've never tried that, but on the launcher dialog, under "Options" on the top right, there's a menu item named 'Log out'. That's where I would examine further. IIRC there's a checkbox there determining whether you credentials are permanently stored or not. I've never ventured further into this, though, so from here, you're on your own, but that looks promising. Or write a ticket to FD support, they're top guys, friendly, helpful and able to answer nearly any question (y)

HTH, O7,
🙃

Confirmation of the planetside Skimmer kill CTD, sent the BR in, happy to say it is intermittent. Had many hours prospecting mats in the SRV yesterday & the day before, only one of these crashes out of at least a half dozen instances of killing Skimmers. Crash was after downing a Data Point guard Skimmer.

I mean, every time they fix 800 bugs, I expect them to ressurect 200 old ones and conjure 200 more new ones at the same time, but things like module priorities resetting every other instance transition or losing half of ones frame rate due to some renderer oversight are very nearly game breaking and should never have passed QA.

Kingdom Come: Delivery among them? Where making the right choices, but at the wrong time ends in an irreversible plot dead end and you have zero idea what the game thinks may be the right time at all? Silly me thought that was a rumoured | nearly forgotten thing from the 90s, just like unreadable floppies or CDs on launch day? :)

That regression bug thing is irritating indeed, though, not so much the graphics issues, for they obviously worked on the Cobra engine and the fps loss seems to be a new bug introduced by either that or some graphics config change and may have simply skipped QA, you simply can't test everything. What I really don't understand, though, is what makes it so hard to safely store the ship configuration once and for all. Even if it's JSON and Mongo. That's a really basic thing, but bugs there are astonishingly common (remember the turret setting bug?). Or minor things like the really obvious unparsed string templates or the \n bug that riddled the Thargoid status news in GalNet. Static code analysis tools like SonarQube really help in finding such issues and the resolution is a 5mins effort. If you are given the time for that.

Still, nearly game breaking is still not game breaking. Some things are more annoying than others, but basically, I'm having fun as always. YMMV.

Oh, and Kingdom Come: Delivery is a really really great game and (most) of the plot bugs are gone after two years and a dozen patches. But better that than suicidal | burnt out developers like we hear from Rock Star Games and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Code:
0x2b | !0x2b // question here

* taken from the official Java 1.2 Language Specification when Gosling was still on board and the Sun was shining bright...

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
How about this?

(snip)

Compiles with TASM. Ah, good old INT 21H...those were the days. 😊

mov ax,0013h
int 10h

Now the world is your oyster.

That is true. It does raise some eyebrows when nearly 100% of the playerbase can spot the obvious ones five minutes into the updated game (e.g. the 10Cr bug). That beta...

mov ax,0013h
int 10h

Hah, AT elitist! Who could affort EGA+ back then? The best I could come up with was an ~8MHz AT brigdeboard (full size) for the Amiga 2000 B, and I worked the better part of Summer '89 at Mercedes-Benz to buy one. But that still rendered everything via the Amiga, using a whacky Commodore software solution I forgot and the thing was dead slow and all. Still, it saved my best friend's Master thesis when his PC went smoking two days before The Deadline, and that will stay forever 😊

O7,
🙃

The credentials for ED are not stored inside Steam, but the ED launcher. For ED, a Frontier account is the single source of truth. That's why you need a second login after buying the game via Steam and have to enter that email verification code plus your FD credentials before being able to log into the game. Steam itself is simply a wrapper and only useful for updates. You can just add a shortcut to the ED launcher (<Steam directory>\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\EDLaunch.exe) to your desktop and start the game from there. Steam won't boot up at all that way. So the 'store credentials' thing boils down to the ED launcher. I've never tried that, but on the launcher dialog, under "Options" on the top right, there's a menu item named 'Log out'. That's where I would examine further. IIRC there's a checkbox there determining whether you credentials are permanently stored or not. I've never ventured further into this, though, so from here, you're on your own, but that looks promising. Or write a ticket to FD support, they're top guys, friendly, helpful and able to answer nearly any question (y)

HTH, O7,
🙃

Actually did try the link Steam directory>\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\EDLaunch.exe and yes, that works. I'm just curious why Steam auto-logs me in at all since I've NEVER clicked the "save P/W" option on the launcher. I have done the "options > logout" which then requires USER and P/W to be entered but it doesn't save it that way.

Launcher in the elite dangerous folder is dated 4/16/2019.
Launcher in the elite dangerous horizons folder is dated 1/26/2016

I've downloaded the updater from Frontier and ran it (wasn't paying attention to the default settings and now have a folder /frontier by itself), but ran it again and this time put the updated launcher in the regular /steam / elite dangerous folder and that's the 4/16/2019 date. Should I re-run the updater again putting the updated launcher in the horizons folder instead?

BTW, have entered this as a support ticket.
Still waiting to hear back.

Update: after too much time fiddling around with this issue I've decided to just go ahead and put a shortcut on the desktop from the steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\EDLaunch.exe location. I try to keep my desktop to a minimum of clutter but I'll live. It works. Just grinds my gears that it USED to work fine, then this mysterious "tiny" update pops in and causes 20 different threads and wasn't actually fixed by the latest update.

Last edited:
Good to see this note to fix the issues encountered!
Not sure if anyone else noticed or if the sound default settings changed, buy my hired Figher Pilot won't talk to me any more, just see responses to command on the screen notes only, nothing verbal anymore.

Good to see this note to fix the issues encountered!
Not sure if anyone else noticed or if the sound default settings changed, buy my hired Figher Pilot won't talk to me any more, just see responses to command on the screen notes only, nothing verbal anymore.

Is this a female npc crew member by any chance?
I had the same problem but when I changed to a male npc crew member the audio was back and also his text in the comms panel.
Switching back to the female npc crew had the same result, no audio and no text.

For the one having "Update requiered" on ED Launcher from steam, it may be because you deleted Elite Dangerous (without horizon) to gain space.
Both Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Horizon folder needs to be updated.

You can still start the game without steam or with steam via Steam game library / Elite Dangerous / Right Click / Play Elite Dangerous Horizon.

Last edited:
Is this a female npc crew member by any chance?
I had the same problem but when I changed to a male npc crew member the audio was back and also his text in the comms panel.
Switching back to the female npc crew had the same result, no audio and no text.

Yes, Female, but she is trained (Deadly) so don't want to switch to another now just because she won't talk to me anymore 🎃 Ha!

The bugs would be fine if it was beta. Just run a public beta server before future releases.
People actually enjoy beta participation (look at other games which have made it the whole game) vs the live version having issues.

Top Bottom