Archon Delaine... campaign... to build... starports?

I'm sorry what.jpeg

I apologize that I may be interrupting any conspiracy theorycraft or discussions on in-game realpolitik, however upon logging into Elite Dangerous this morning I happened upon this queer notification on the main menu and could not help myself but to read the full article. I nearly spat out my coffee.

As it is not currently on the Galnet webpage, I will transcribe below:

Pilots Federation ALERT

The Kumo Crew syndicate has launched an initiative to construct up to five starports to stimulate galactic trade.

Kavanagh Spaceframes Ltd, an independent construction company, has been privately contracted by the Kumo Council to build fully operational Obis stations. These will be located in the uninhabited systems close to key trading regions and areas of commercial interest.

The Pegasi Sentinel newsfeed featured this statement from Archon Delaine:

"As sovereign ruler of the Kumo nation, it's my responsibility to increase prosperity for the systems under my protection. My new starports will extend our reach and boost trading of all kinds... legitimate and otherwise."

"I have also placed bounties on the heads of anyone who dares to interfere with my plans. The one thing we never trade in is mercy."

The Razor Whips, one of the Delaine's loyal factions, is organising the campaign. It will reimburse pilots who deliver ceramic composites, semiconductors, polymers and water purifiers to Gabriel Enterprise in the Harma system.

The number of new starports wil depend on the quantity of deliveries. The targeted locations are:

Pegasi sector PN-T C3-14, near the Harma system

HIP 18390, near the California Nebula

HIP 10792, near the Sothis system

HIP 62154, in the Coalsack Nebula

Eol Prou PC-K c9-91 in the Colonia region.

When it's posted to the GalNet webpage I'll be sure to post the link.

That being said, what on earth is going on? Archon Delaine, our original in-game Antagonist, anarchic pirate lord, esteemed and titled fratricidal King of Kumo Space, is... BUILDING STARPORTS to facilitate TRADE and ECONOMIC PROSPERITY??? I am dumbfounded by this. This is so unbelievable and quite frankly preposterous that -- in my mind -- it transcends the possibility of "ulterior motives" and really just sounds like bad writing to me. Besides Delaine stepping into the Galactic Summit and demanding to be taken seriously (also seemingly out of the blue), has there been any leadup once so ever to give background to these decisions? Is there a piece of supplementary literature I haven't read yet? If so, can somebody please provide it to me? Because this is quite frankly one of the most confusing articles of in-game lore I have ever read.

What does this mean for Elite, exactly? Will Kumo be the first PP faction in Colonia? Will this lead to the "micro-bubbling" that has been on the breath for the last few months since ThePilot discussed "burning the bubble"? And if so, why choose Delaine of all the PP factions for this? Maybe I'm just very behind on my lore. And if so; please feel free to berate me. Any imput would be appreciated.

If I were a pirate king, I'd want other people to do the work to raise money to build more starports....

It's a concept called "hunting over bait", and it works so well it is illegal in most jurisdictions.

Pirate lord owns vast fleet of pirate ships, plundering a vast swathe of territory he claims as his own.

Surviving traders flee pirate space.

As their children go hungry, pirates wonder where all the rich pickings have gone. Eventually they realise they themselves are to blame, they've hunted their prey to local extinction.

Pirates put up "legitimate business" front and attempt to lure traders back into pirate space.

I honestly see nothing surprising here given the fact that Delaine clearly wanted to show his faction as a fully fledged power / nation during the Sirius summit, Delaine is simply moving from the simple "pirat lord" to a crime syndicate.
And a crime syndicate is far, really far to be an anarchist movement, that rather the opposite, a well ordered machine replacing the emptyness left by weak legal power, lore wise I simply think that Archon is trying to build a "legitimate" power.

Two reasons.

One; Setting up shop farther from the bubble they can now have a base of operations in which they can pirate from lesser armed researchers and explorers.

Two; alien technology and samples are lucrative. Not only in the way that they can sell them, but also in how they can research and adapt the technology for their own nefarious purposes.

Top Bottom