Are Y'all Still Playing?

That's interesting. I was under the impression that things were better on the XBox side, due to forum activity "over there" and the number of players that were instancing with Ed Lewis when he livestreamed on the XBox vs the PS4. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just surprised.

Don't forget I am only stating what I see in my own friends list and that may not be the same in general.
However I truly don't see many friends online any more.

But will it also be fun when you have figure it all??
Not to high jack this thread what is the point to this game? I know NMS had to be the center (what was a disappointment)

The Center in NMS may not have met with your or mine or anyone else's expectations, but it shows that no matter where one goes, everything is basically the same. There isn't an actual center to the Universe except in the human mind which has a need for there to be a center, humans in general seem to insist on Catorgorically Aphabeticalizing things in Numerical order or any combination of those. Thus there has to be a center. But space being infinite, there can not be a center. Thus one rely's on their expectations of one. And like I said, your and mine as well as other's were not the same as Shawns. In which when one gets to the center, it's nothing but the same old, same old. Thus depicting that there isn't an actual center, by changing the name of the new system and just repeating the process over and over and over again until, well that's a personal deceision. What could there possibly be in the center of the univers that would apeal to any and all players. Though one might find those with liked minds, there are going to be those that are not of the same mind.

Ed has a center of a galaxy, all galaxies have centers and as such orbit around the center of a cluster of galaxies which has a center which orbits around a super cluster of galaxies, which becasue of past practices, one would justifiably arrive at a conclusion which is what humans do when they can't go any farther. Super cluster must orbit around something and not knowing what as yet and until it's determined, presently call it the center of universe.

Which unlike NMS, gives ED a place to grow. At some point, ED and it's involvment in the Milky Way, may expand to include the Andromna galaxy and or other. NMS has no where else to go. I managed in the year I played to make it to the 255th supposed center only to end up at the starting galaxy in which I started from originally which if included gives a journey of 256 possible centers of galaxies, but no center of univers. Hence those 256 must orbit something and not knowing what. Is dependent on the imagination of whom ever is seeking it.

I didn't mean to ramble on about NMS, but after playing for a year and accomplishing EVERYTHING there is to possible do, it's reached a conslusion and I've deleted it from my ps4.

ED on the other hand, has significant room for growth. Which they've proven since first launching on pc to be true. Though I've set it asside for now, I'm really really looking forward to not only makeing it run better on my ps4, but the new ever changing contents they come up with. The first quarter of 2018 is looking very promising for anyone liking ED. For anyone else, it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
The Center in NMS may not have met with your or mine or anyone else's expectations, but it shows that no matter where one goes, everything is basically the same. There isn't an actual center to the Universe except in the human mind which has a need for there to be a center, humans in general seem to insist on Catorgorically Aphabeticalizing things in Numerical order or any combination of those. Thus there has to be a center. But space being infinite, there can not be a center. Thus one rely's on their expectations of one. And like I said, your and mine as well as other's were not the same as Shawns. In which when one gets to the center, it's nothing but the same old, same old. Thus depicting that there isn't an actual center, by changing the name of the new system and just repeating the process over and over and over again until, well that's a personal deceision. What could there possibly be in the center of the univers that would apeal to any and all players. Though one might find those with liked minds, there are going to be those that are not of the same mind.

Ed has a center of a galaxy, all galaxies have centers and as such orbit around the center of a cluster of galaxies which has a center which orbits around a super cluster of galaxies, which becasue of past practices, one would justifiably arrive at a conclusion which is what humans do when they can't go any farther. Super cluster must orbit around something and not knowing what as yet and until it's determined, presently call it the center of universe.

Which unlike NMS, gives ED a place to grow. At some point, ED and it's involvment in the Milky Way, may expand to include the Andromna galaxy and or other. NMS has no where else to go. I managed in the year I played to make it to the 255th supposed center only to end up at the starting galaxy in which I started from originally which if included gives a journey of 256 possible centers of galaxies, but no center of univers. Hence those 256 must orbit something and not knowing what. Is dependent on the imagination of whom ever is seeking it.

I didn't mean to ramble on about NMS, but after playing for a year and accomplishing EVERYTHING there is to possible do, it's reached a conslusion and I've deleted it from my ps4.

ED on the other hand, has significant room for growth. Which they've proven since first launching on pc to be true. Though I've set it asside for now, I'm really really looking forward to not only makeing it run better on my ps4, but the new ever changing contents they come up with. The first quarter of 2018 is looking very promising for anyone liking ED. For anyone else, it wouldn't matter.

You're up and down like a yoyo mate. Have a look at your 3rd or 4th post in this thread on page 1. Couldn't be more different to your post above. In fact having read a lot of what you spout I get the impression you don't play elite you grind elite.
Still each to their own.

On topic: Still playing

I'm still playing ... it's a great game! I stepped back from NMS as there were too many annoying glitches that just ruined it for me. ED has renewed my love for space exploration even though I get spanked for being too damn cocky in my new Vulture.

hi,

desktop user here. i thought i'd never, ever stop playing this game - being a fanboy from looooong ago.

somewhere, it just became doing the same thing again, and again. i even enjoyed that for a long while.

i now play Empyrion. parts of its design are paper-flat, but the versatility of game-play is huge.

...that's saying quite a bit. i _never_ thought i'd put Elite down :-/

- Slick

I'd concure it's well worth the money I've spent. 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for the first 4 months equals nearly 1,000 hours of play. Divided by the $60 for the game, $60 for a hotas and monthly fee of only $13.00 for the online conection fee via ps+ (50÷15 (sales promo price)) that works out to be only about $0.13 per hour. And though I've not played in a few days, I will agian after the new update supposedly in the first quarter next year. Making it an even better deal.

Presently I'm looking for a game such as ED, that will keep my interest but closer to NMS which has considerably less need for combat. More on the line of MYST and other's simular to it, would be great.

As i'm always saying, Egosoft's X series is brilliant, with its' only real problems being that it's PC only (well, it's developed first for Windows PCs with most of the games in the series have been ported to Mac and Linux, but they're all still PCs) and the fact that the most recently released game in the series and its' only so far teased sequel aren't "real" X games but still, in particular X2, X3: Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude are brilliant, while the newer game Rebirth has its' fans but not too many (while the first two games in the series are still playable on modern PCs, they look very basic now).
(While i've posted long posts about X in various threads, but in particular read my now hidden behind a spoiler warning summary of the entire series on the following page:- https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/383221-BEYOND/page2 .)

As for games more like Elite or those that do certain (or many) things better than it, short of X or if it ever comes out at all, Star Citizen, ever coming to Playstation, you mentioned already you've already played No Man's Sky, but for other games in which you either fly space ships or simply have a space setting...

First on proper space games:-
Rebel Galaxy is really good and basically Elite-lite, with a similar gameplay structure of little to do beyond buying and doing up ships, though it does have a story and trading in it, they're not too deep and you'll get though its' campaign in 20 hours or less while even if you haven't done them up, you should have the money to buy the biggest ships in the game in that time, or maybe in 30 hours at a push.

The one real oddity about it which you should pretty quickly get over is that you only fly large ships on a 2D plane, flying and fighting in them mostly like they're terrestrial Naval ships in space and though the game does have smaller fighters and gunships which fly around in 3D, the game won't let you fly them, though that gameplay is ripe for an expansion (which we'll probably never get).
The game was free on Playstation Plus close to a year ago, but even buying it now, its' not dear, having only come out at €20 and often being offered on sale for €5-10 since.

Star Trek Online and Dreadnought (with the latter still only being in Beta) are both free to play and both well worth playing.

While Star Trek Online has existed since it originally came out on PC in 2010, it's been expanded a lot and supported with lots of patches since it came out on PS4 in September 2016.
It features mostly space combat and exploration, but also on foot, third person gameplay as well, though its' ship gameplay is its' highlight.

Dreadnought then, so far only has players fighting within the atmospheres and low orbits of planets, and will likely never get more than combat based gameplay, but the style of its' ships is well worth checking out, even though i know you're not really into combat :) .
(While its' combat isn't too taxing and you're given new ships to fight in each time you spawn. Also you COULD focus on being a healing or other support ship only... :) .)

Lastly, while they're not spaceship based games, but only space set games, you might enjoy, in particular the style and possibly the gameplay of Warframe and Planetside 2, both of which are free to play.
(We also had Dust 514 on PS3, but its' servers were shut down in May 2016, though it's a pity it never relaunched on PS4...)

Lastly we're still waiting for a proper Worldwide PS4 release of Kerbal Space Program, after a version only initially came out in North American regions in July 2016 and that release was so bad it was eventually pulled from sale.
Though a lot of the original versions' problems were blamed on the company porting it and a new company is porting the new version and they seem to be intent on squashing every bug in it before it gets a proper release, but it's expected to come out soon, likely at a reduced price :) .

When ED first released, I'd start up the game and my friend list on the right side of the menu was full. These days it's often somewhere between empty and three people max at any given time. My PSN friends are still playing games, just not Elite.

My PSN friend list is obviously a small subset of the overall PS4 player base, so I'm curious, PS4 players - are you still playing Elite as your "primary" game, or have you scaled back your gameplay since you started, or have you "finished" the game and moved on?

To answer my own question, I still consider ED my "primary" game, though I have scaled back due those bugs I've bemoaned ad nauseam. This may all change in three weeks thanks US Black Friday (when I'll finally purchase games like HZD).

Y'll am...

I'd reckon it all depends on what you refer to as light when you use the word. Light has no color unless it is illuminating something. The contents of a bulb appear to be white, red, yellow, green based on the contents of the bulb. The light simply illuminates it so you see it. What color are leaves in the spring and or summer. Hint: there not green, nor is the grass in one manicured lawn. Look it up!

Light is a specific portion of the electromagnetic spectrum with a wavelength between 400 and 700 nm and a frequency between 750 and 430 THz. It has no "color" until it strikes a photo receptor and is interpreted by a brain. Until then it simply has frequency, wavelength, and energy. Light in a vacuum has those characteristics whether it is being seen by an eye/brain combination or not. As a result, light that we see as yellow is yellow even if we are not looking.

I think it's wonderful to see that so many people have been to the Thargoid crash site. And the Thargoid Scout crash site. And done the Guardians scan mission. And been to Sag A. And been to Beagle Point. Traversed the Formidine Rift and located the mysteries there. Collected Thargoid tissue samples. Located Voyager. Checked out the brain trees.

No wonder you're bored, having done it all.

Unless you haven't actually done it all, in which case I have no idea what the problem might be. (Said with a couple of nudges and a wink or two.)

Unless you haven't actually done it all, in which case I have no idea what the problem might be. (Said with a couple of nudges and a wink or two.)

Well that's a bit over-simplified. I didn't do every possible thing in Skyrim before I felt "done." Telling someone who is bored with the gameplay aspect of ED to take a trip to Beagle Point is like handing a bored child a dictionary to read for "fun".

FWIW, I'm not bored yet, I'm bugged... Literally - go visit the bug report section, LOL.

Wait, do I even own any other PS4 games? Oh right I do, they are collecting dust as this game gets all my attention when the kids are asleep and the wife is in a good mood!

Duck, I assure you, I've read your bug reports. You have my fullest sympathy. I see occasional glitches, but nothing to the degree you have.

My comment wasn't actually aimed at you. In fact, you weren't even close to the inspiration. Most of those who responded in this thread have been generally positive. As always, though, there are those who are bored with the grind. My point is that it is only a grind if you make it or let it be one.

None of us here are in a position to fix graphics issues. We have to wait on FDev. Like it or not, it's going to take them some time. First, as I'm sure you know, they have to actually see the problem. Then they have to figure out where it is and how to fix it. Then they have to implement that fix. Then they have to test it to see that it didn't break something else. Some time after that they can push it out to the user.

Once upon a time I taught programming to high school kids. It's been a while, and what I worked with was nothing in terms of the complexity of what is more or less considered run of the mill today. That complexity has a price.

My comment wasn't about that. It was aimed at the people who expect this to be Call of Duty with space ships. Now. The missing element isn't in the game. It's in them.

We have to wait on FDev. Like it or not, it's going to take them some time. First, as I'm sure you know, they have to actually see the problem. Then they have to figure out where it is and how to fix it. Then they have to implement that fix. Then they have to test it to see that it didn't break something else. Some time after that they can push it out to the user.

That complexity has a price.

Blizzard Entertainment - 4,700 employees
Frontier - 312 employees (of which ED is just a part... so i think the ED team is around 100 IIRC).

perspective hurts...

Top Bottom