ARX and exploration

Making ARX from exploration is only tied to actually selling the data.

I spent over an hour very far in the black, discovering and doing FSS on entire systems and mapping some planets. For my efforts I got ... 1 ARX.

If ARX are supposed to be earned 'from playing the game' then the actual acts of exploring (honking/FSS/mapping) should earn them for you, not necessarily the selling of the data.

The way it is now acts as a disincentive for taking very long exploration trips.

I spent over an hour very far in the black, discovering and doing FSS on entire systems and mapping some planets. For my efforts I got ... 1 ARX.

If ARX are supposed to be earned 'from playing the game' then the actual acts of exploring (honking/FSS/mapping) should earn them for you, not necessarily the selling of the data.

The way it is now acts as a disincentive for taking very long exploration trips.

That's incorrect of course, there are a number of ways of getting ARX while exploring, actually finding and reporting stuff to the codex, that gets ARX, so let's run through the basics.

You get 1 ARX for every 5 jumps. You get 1 ARX for every Jumponium synthesis, you get 1 ARX for every Codex discovery reported, you get 1 ARX for every Neutron/WD boost.

So if you are very far out in the black then you would have got ARX for traveling there, if you are in a new region to you you will get ARX for every type of star and planet you find, if it is a sparse regions and you need to use Jumpnium Boost or Neutron/WD boost you will have received ARX for that. With mapping and scanning I am currently around the 1B mark in credits, plus when I get back to civilisation I get ARX for just turning in data.

With all that you still want more ways to get ARX? Typically in a day I will scan several hundred bodies, there are days when I have hit a few large systems I could scan 400 bodies, most bodies are worth a few thousand credits so I fail to see why I should receive ARX for that, ok maybe I would add getting ARX for rarer stuff, maybe mapping EW and WW.

If they were to give ARX just for scanning it would hugely overbalance exploration as a way to get ARX, yes it may overbalanced in the favour of other activities already, but that's not a reason to just go crazy and overbalance it even more. Really ARX are just a distraction, ignore the ARX, enjoy the exploration. If you can't enjoy the exploration without the reward of lots of ARX maybe you weren't enjoying that much before anyway, so do activites that you do enjoy and reward more ARX.

You get 1 ARX for every 5 jumps. You get 1 ARX for every Jumponium synthesis, you get 1 ARX for every Codex discovery reported, you get 1 ARX for every Neutron/WD boost.

Jumping is not exploring, it's travel. I can jump back and forth doing trade missions and get ARX for those jumps. Even so, again, it becomes a disincentive for doing anything more than jump/honk/jump. And given how much time you'd invest in getting a single Codex discovery - fly out to planet, land on planet, get out SRV, scan etc - it's barely worth considering.

I came back and turned in data. I jump-honk-jump'd my way about 110 jumps, and for that alone I made 38 ARX for about 1hr45m of travel. I sold off the data for one system, at about 500K, and made 3 ARX. That 3 ARX is as much as I made when I was doing the work of FSSing 20 systems (and mapping some of them), which took significantly longer than just clicking 'sell'.

I sold off the rest of everything (about 40M) and maxed out my ARX cap instantly (and would have made many more if not for the cap).

Exploration ARX are hugely weighted towards just selling the data, which is my point. And it leads to three problems:
1) Getting griefed sucks even more if you can't sell the data
2) As mentioned, it acts as a disincentive for trips very far into the bubble - because you need to return to the bubble (or Colonia I guess) every week to capitalize on it
3) If you DO get back from a long trip in the bubble, you would have to string those data sales out for weeks or even months, depending on how much you had banked up, because it's a weekly cap system.

If they were to give ARX just for scanning it would hugely overbalance exploration as a way to get ARX, yes it may overbalanced in the favour of other activities already, but that's not a reason to just go crazy and overbalance it even more.

I'm not saying I should hit 400 ARX because I happened to scan 20 new systems. I would have been happy with getting 10 or 20 and moving on; because at least I'd be able to reasonably expect to either hit the cap or come close from exploring. But if all I'm getting is 1-2 arx out of an exploration session that lasts at least an hour, then what ... I need to play 200 hours to hit the arx cap? There aren't even that many hours in a week.

And I'd be perfectly happy if I were to get 0 ARX from selling the data, but instead have the ARX earned solely from the activities.

Really ARX are just a distraction, ignore the ARX, enjoy the exploration. If you can't enjoy the exploration without the reward of lots of ARX maybe you weren't enjoying that much before anyway, so do activites that you do enjoy and reward more ARX.

Irrelevant. "Ignore the broken thing and move on." I was exploring because I felt like exploring, and I happened to notice a broken thing.

But that kind of reinforces my point. If you're 10K ly away from the Bubble, you can't easily just switch over to another activity. Exploring is basically all you can do if you're that far out there. Either that or completely abandon your exploration run.

Yes, this is not a new complaint and you are right. If we just ignore broken things and move on, we end up a game full of broken things. Arx for exploration should be weighted in for the act of exploring, not the selling of data, and definitely not just jumping either. Arx for codex discoveries is fine, and they should give plenty, but they are so rare, relatively speaking, that one can not expect significant portions of earnings from those.

Jumping is not exploring, it's travel. I can jump back and forth doing trade missions and get ARX for those jumps. Even so, again, it becomes a disincentive for doing anything more than jump/honk/jump. And given how much time you'd invest in getting a single Codex discovery - fly out to planet, land on planet, get out SRV, scan etc - it's barely worth considering.

What? seriously? You do that every time? As opposed to fly down, hover for a few seconds while scanning and fly off?

Personally I don't consider the act of running the FSS over a body as "exploring", but that's just a personal opinion. I have spent a week or more on a single small moon at times, but in my opinion exploring encompasses all of the above plus whatever else people get up to out there. Yes traveling to the far reaches of the galaxy is exploring, landing on planets and moons and just driving around to see what's there is exploring, driving up that really high mountain is exploring. Fixing ARX to FSS'ing means you are only rewarding a small part of exploration and rather than flying that 450kls and more out to map that ELW or check out that life signal people would just ignore that and jump on to get their ARX.

If you feel you need to adjust the way you play the game to get maximum ARX that's up to you, but personally I couldn't give a fig if I didn't get any ARX at all in a week because I sat on one moon to do a bit of driving around and exploring. By the looks of it FDEV have tried to spread the earning of ARX around to as many different aspects of the various activities so that people didn't need to adjust the way they play to get ARX, but of course it's people, so we get these threads. Oh well.

I like to hunt for ELWs, WWs or any very out of the ordinary sites. That's what exploring is for me. Even if I find nothing, I like to at least catalog the entire system. I spend the majority of my exploration time in FSS. Once I do find something out of the ordinary I take the time to map and go in for closer looks. I've presently been mapping a relatively uncharted area of space about 7k ly from the bubble.

I spend maybe 1-2 hours a day doing that when I'm in the black. It's a relaxing activity that I pair with watching shows or youtube on another monitor. Once I get bored I stop and do something else outside of Elite

I would like to actually earn more than 0 ARX for that kind of activity. I want to stay out in the sector for as long as I want to, without having the need to return the Bubble to 'cash in', which in itself is an almost 2hr trip; either that or not return and basically forfeit the ARX I should have earned for my playtime.

As a contrast, I've been doing a lot of combat to manipulate the BGS and I usually max out the Arx before the weekend is over. This time I did it with weekend barely started. Some material trading were involved as well, but still.

I thought a little about what sort of rewards would make exploration Arx fairer, so I might as well thought thoughts down here:

FSS and DSS:
Like it or not, they are now the core exploration mechanics of the game and should be treated as such. I suggest 1 Arx for every 20 FSS scans. The exact ratio is debatable. For surface scanning I'd give 1 Arcs per complete scan, but that can have fractions as well if you think it's too much. Scans of valuable targets like the typical ELW/WW/AW/Terraformable might count for more or not.

Codex discoveries:
You come across these when you are new to a sector, but they become much rare when you already have the most common entries. I think celestial objects should be 1 Arx when they get put to the codex. The things you scan with the composition scanner should be 3 Arx for a codex entry and 1 for those you already have but get that small credit reward because they are in a new location. For something that isn't in codex at all, and you get your name put in for it, the reward should be dramatically larger.

Travel:
Nothing for just jumping, but the previous 1 per 5 jumps only counting the systems you haven't ever been to. Doesn't matter if they are explored or not. Arx for jumponium synthesis and jet cone jumps is fine too. Bit dubious about fuel scooping Arx, though. Most of my ships have scoops and they are not for exploration.

Or label all this as "Travel" instead of "Exploration". That'd work too.

Other:
Turning in data shouldn't count, or count very little, unless it's a first discovery. Driving around the SRV for long distances, synthesizing fuel, ammo and repair might count too. That might lead to getting some "Exploration" Arx for surface missions and such, but I think that's fine.

Are you only playing for ARX, or because you enjoy exploration?

Bluntly, I don't believe you.

I'm an explorer, in an hour, I can generate way more than 1 Arx.. But then, I don't spend any more time in the FSS than needed - it's actually very little. Surface mapping can be done in less an a singe orbit.

I'll be back in an hour with some stats.

EDIT: 9 systems, 500ish ly's and no data sold gave me 5 Arx. This was with full FSS of every system. Honk and scoot pays about the same. I also don't care, there is not enough value in Arx for me to get worried about them.

Sorry, no screenshot, Steam ate it.

Last edited:
Getting like 100 ARX/hr in CZ and Haz Res. I enjoy exploring, too, and will get back to it eventually, but I don’t like the feeling that some play is more highly rewarded than others, especially when the promise was that we would just play the game to get our free arx.

If one play style can reliably max out the free allotment in a reasonable weekly commitment, I feel other play styles should be able to as well. As currently constituted, ARX payouts seem designed to discourage exploration.

If one play style can reliably max out the free allotment in a reasonable weekly commitment, I feel other play styles should be able to as well. As currently constituted, ARX payouts seem designed to discourage exploration.

Only if you play the game to get ARX.

Last edited:
tl;dr: system works fine in populated space with lots of different options to earn ARX, but it disregards the lack of those options when far away from the bubble

I don't care much about ARX. I don't focus on tasks that give me the most ARX - but by simply playing the game, I still reach the weekly cap within a few days.

However, I spend the majority of my time within the bubble and have the option to play other content; I tend to engage in different types of content throughout the week, so chances are much higher to get a good chunk of ARX in those 7 days. Easily. It doesn't require any effort at all.

But I also do at least some sort of exploration near the bubble (mostly on weekends) and it simply doesn't provide as much ARX as other activities - or to be more precise, not at the same rate. And that's important to realize, because that means that other activities provide more ARX/hour overall.

Thus, someone who explores the galaxy outside the bubble and doesn't have any other alternatives has a limited ARX/hour "income". They may invest just as much time as some casual player doing a few missions among other activities within the bubble, but at the end of the session, the "bubble CMDR" will have earned more ARX, while the explorer has earned far less.

So I can understand if some explorers feel like they are missing out on free ARX simply because they decided to leave the bubble.

When inside the bubble or near the bubble with the option to engage in other activities, I think the ARX rewards for the exploration content are ok. But the further away from the bubble, the less alternatives to get ARX, thus exploration is the only activity out there.

So maybe, instead of just increasing exploration ARX one could think about increasing the value proportional to distance from Sol - or something like that.

If you think about it: exploration within/near the bubble isn't really something special, since most systems have been discovered already. But out in the unknown, with zero infrastructure and cut off from civilization for months, I think that could be rewarded with some extra ARX.

Not sure how something like a "distance meter" could be implemented, because people in Colonia are far away, yet have plenty of options to earn ARX easily, just like within the bubble. I really think this requires some more thought in general.

One argument I think is not valid is "it's free, why do you care?", respectively "ARX isn't important, just play the game" - by introducing ARX, FD has created this mess were people suddenly feel like they are missing out. So imho, if you create the problem you better find a good solution.

Either it's a fair system that rewards everyone equally for their in-game activities, no matter how far out they are - or you don't implement a bad system in the first place.

It's like handing out free money at work because people are showing up, but those doing home office - working just as much - just get 10% because "it's free money, why do you care?" or "just keep working, the free money isn't that important".

inb4 "but it's a game, not work!" - yeah, that's not the point. It's about people investing the same amount of time, but not getting the same rewards.

Given what happened when they introduced arx, are you really suggesting they go back and fiddle with it some more? Be ready to lose all your discoveries, have the FSS crash the game, have scanner probes fail to register, have the grid not show up on planets and God knows what else. Maybe you won't be able to scoop fuel because they tie arx to fuel scooping. Maybe they increase the arx for jumping and you end up in a never ending hyperspace tunnel of doom. You are suggesting chaos I tell you. Chaos!

In all seriousness, I have no issue with the current payouts for exploration. Yes, combat game play pays way more usually. But it's more dangerous and pays less in credits. Also, it seems weird to me. Sometimes I get loads for combat and other times I get just as much for exploration and trade. Weird. I earn very little arx in my daily game play and have yet to hit the weekly cap. I also dgaf.

If people feel that they are missing out on free arx, they really need to get over it. It's unhealthy.

If FD creates a system that doesn't reward all players equally, thus can be considered unfair, you can't blame people for being upset.

People are feeling left out because FD created a bad system - thus it is FD's responsibility to fix it.

PS: next time you guys have issues, just don't get upset and remember "just be happy" and "get over it". Being unhappy and upset is unhealthy and also unjustified, no matter what. If something bothers you and you get emotional, it's your inability to deal with things properly. So be a good citizen and keep your complaints to yourself ;)

If FD creates a system that doesn't reward all players equally, thus can be considered unfair, you can't blame people for being upset.

People are feeling left out because FD created a bad system - thus it is FD's responsibility to fix it.

PS: next time you guys have issues, just don't get upset and remember "just be happy" and "get over it". Being unhappy and upset is unhealthy and also unjustified, no matter what. If something bothers you and you get emotional, it's your inability to deal with things properly. So be a good citizen and keep your complaints to yourself ;)
Life's not fair. Deal with it.

tl;dr: system works fine in populated space with lots of different options to earn ARX, but it disregards the lack of those options when far away from the bubble

I don't care much about ARX. I don't focus on tasks that give me the most ARX - but by simply playing the game, I still reach the weekly cap within a few days.

However, I spend the majority of my time within the bubble and have the option to play other content; I tend to engage in different types of content throughout the week, so chances are much higher to get a good chunk of ARX in those 7 days. Easily. It doesn't require any effort at all.

But I also do at least some sort of exploration near the bubble (mostly on weekends) and it simply doesn't provide as much ARX as other activities - or to be more precise, not at the same rate. And that's important to realize, because that means that other activities provide more ARX/hour overall.

Thus, someone who explores the galaxy outside the bubble and doesn't have any other alternatives has a limited ARX/hour "income". They may invest just as much time as some casual player doing a few missions among other activities within the bubble, but at the end of the session, the "bubble CMDR" will have earned more ARX, while the explorer has earned far less.

So I can understand if some explorers feel like they are missing out on free ARX simply because they decided to leave the bubble.

When inside the bubble or near the bubble with the option to engage in other activities, I think the ARX rewards for the exploration content are ok. But the further away from the bubble, the less alternatives to get ARX, thus exploration is the only activity out there.

So maybe, instead of just increasing exploration ARX one could think about increasing the value proportional to distance from Sol - or something like that.

If you think about it: exploration within/near the bubble isn't really something special, since most systems have been discovered already. But out in the unknown, with zero infrastructure and cut off from civilization for months, I think that could be rewarded with some extra ARX.

Not sure how something like a "distance meter" could be implemented, because people in Colonia are far away, yet have plenty of options to earn ARX easily, just like within the bubble. I really think this requires some more thought in general.

One argument I think is not valid is "it's free, why do you care?", respectively "ARX isn't important, just play the game" - by introducing ARX, FD has created this mess were people suddenly feel like they are missing out. So imho, if you create the problem you better find a good solution.

Either it's a fair system that rewards everyone equally for their in-game activities, no matter how far out they are - or you don't implement a bad system in the first place.

It's like handing out free money at work because people are showing up, but those doing home office - working just as much - just get 10% because "it's free money, why do you care?" or "just keep working, the free money isn't that important".

inb4 "but it's a game, not work!" - yeah, that's not the point. It's about people investing the same amount of time, but not getting the same rewards.
The reward is playing the game. Don't enjoy playing the game? Go play another game, there's loads of them.

I'm being absolutely serious when I say this.

If someone is genuinely angry and upset about not being able to earn a weekly 50p for the purpose of changing the colour of a pretend space ship in a video game, this is a big red flag that there is some kind of issue in their life and they need to get professional help.

Perhaps it is a bad system though. Based on this thread and the ones previous, earned Arx seems to be encouraging addictive behaviours in some people and on that basis probably should be removed so the only way to get cosmetics is to pay for Arx.

Threads like this tell me people are only playing the game to grind their 400 Arx a week and if not being able to manage that causes anger and resentment, you have a marker for addiction and not enjoyment.

Top Bottom