Ships ASP Explorer HELP

Hi everyone!!!
I just changed my Cobra MK III on a ASP Explorer and I'm trying to build a nice Trade setup for it....

As I am kind of new on this game, I'm looking forward some advice on my recent build:

I'm playing solo for now and my intention is doing some long range trades with this ship.
Thanks in advance!!!!

FLUEX

It'll get the job done, personaly without engineering I would drop to an 3A rated PP, 3A shield generator, and replace your supercruise and docking assist computers with more cargo slots.

If you want to spend time engineering your ship, focus on the FSD first (might need to stick with your 4A PP), then get dirty thrusters.
You don't really gain alot lightening your life support or sensors. Your shields and PD should be fine as long as you can avade being interdiced, this isn't hard against npc's.

This should get you going, and can all be engineered from felicity farseer

Badman76, thank you for taking the time to point out both the positive and negative sides. I will tweak the build with your suggestions in mind and maybe try some engineering later.... much appreciated!!

Your internals are too small. Always, always, always use the biggeat core internals you can fit. Id put a bigger shield in there too but your funeral /shrug

Your internals are too small. Always, always, always use the biggeat core internals you can fit. Id put a bigger shield in there too but your funeral /shrug
With the exception of the powerplant.

Always only use a plant that's enough for your needs. I'm running a Conda with a 6A plant instead of a 8x. Way cheaper.

edit: oh and only use A-rated plants

Last edited:

In solo it doesn't matter. As Asp Explorer doesn't need to submit to an NPC interdiction. However, docking/planetary landings might get him.

If you are just doing long range rares trading, you can totally look for a more robust set up

something like this perhaps: LINK

scoops faster, jumps well, and carrys all the rares you would want to.

work it up from there.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!!! I’m still messing with the build, following all the advices and so far the ship is way better.... definitely looking forward some engineering soon but those Felicity Farseer’s Meta-Alloy needed are too far from where I am now....

I'd use a 3C biweave shield and add a heatsink launcher, and you only need a 3A powerplant.

As soon as you take off, put 4 pips to engines and 2 to shields, then switch off the power distributor to lock them like that because that's the only configuration you need and it'll make your ship run cooler while scooping. If you get interdicted, boost the moment you drop out then drop a heatsink to break target lock. Keep boosting until your FSD has cooled down. The Asp has plenty of speed. After the first boost, it'll have enough range on the NPC that its weapons can hardly do any damage. That's if it can still hit.

You can save a bit more heat by switching off the docking computer and cargo hatch while travelling. If you have no cargo, you can switch off the shields too.

You can get a bit more jump range by using 5C thrusters and a 2A PP without compromising yous speed too much. For a trader, a speed of anything over 350 m/s is pretty safe.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!!!
I just changed my Cobra MK III on a ASP Explorer and I'm trying to build a nice Trade setup for it....

As I am kind of new on this game, I'm looking forward some advice on my recent build:

I'm playing solo for now and my intention is doing some long range trades with this ship.
Thanks in advance!!!!

FLUEX

Asp

Not sure why everyone feels the need to yell the name of this ship.

Greetings,

What do you consider long range trades? What are you trading in? Is it illegal? Possibly new to the game if I'm reading your post right you are not sure. Most bubble profitable trade routes after figuring them out (EDDB helps) are at max 50LY jump A to B and more often 30LY. Transporters, Pythons, Anacondas and Cutters do it all the time. A basic A-rated Asp Explorer with a 180LY jump before refueling can easily do this without a fuel scoop. More cargo space.

If the cargo is illegal at longer jump ranges you'll need to move faster. Engineering comes in to resolve this. Exactly what you are going to do with it has a lot of input on how to outfit it. If not sure well welcome to the club figuring out this game. Still many great players will try to help on the Forum.

Here is my Asp Explorer build tuned over the years that I often use while I'm busy playing with other ships. It gathers materials running around in an SRV. It goes to ship crash sites to get unique items. It is excellent for dealing with Guardian and Thargoid bases. It can travel the bubble in 2-4 jumps versus 6-8 on other ships say getting to my combat ships especially that Thargoid Scout killer Krait Mk II out there in the Pleiades Sector. It can fly to Ceos where I pick up my passenger Python dedicated for Sothis tourist runs making lots of credits.

With my build replace the Fuel Scoop and Guardian FSD Booster and you have 112T cargo space with a 50LY jump range, 558m/s boost and well armed although not seriously deigned for combat. Not to say that you are going to have this build for awhile but with gaming experience the point is that the Asp Explorer is a keeper. Nor did I mention it's abilities to attack security bases with missiles or it's awesome capabilities to explore the galaxy. There are many other threads about that.

Regards

Hi everyone!!!
Thanks in advance!!!!
FLUEX

Since the Asp-X is still a fairly small ship (but with great legs) you might consider trading in rare commodities, which earns good profits trading relatively small quantities of rare commodities. The Asp-X is a great ship for this:

nmgG0Tg.jpg

I really appreciate all the great feedbacks guys!!!

As I am very fresh on Elite those heads up are helping me a lot... it’s too much to learn and understand!!! I’m about to bring the Meta-Alloy to Felicity Farseer and start messing with engineering.... I heard the Asp (no yelling) is a multipurpose ship so I will try to use it a lot before move to a bigger ship... the rare commodities circuit seems to be a nice way to increase reputation also....
Thanks

Since the Asp-X is still a fairly small ship (but with great legs) you might consider trading in rare commodities, which earns good profits trading relatively small quantities of rare commodities. The Asp-X is a great ship for this:

nmgG0Tg.jpg
Greetings,

JetsonRING is correct suggesting trading in rare commodities. It is a great way for new players to gain a lot of flying experience in the bubble traveling to many traditional systems that have been in the game since 1984 and making some decent profits doing it. The basic premise is purchase rare commodities then fly 200LY or more to sell them as the farther you fly the more profit you make. Still a player can only purchase a limited quantity of rare commodities. That is why an Asp Explorer with a great jump range is well suited to this task.

History: Years ago Frontier still dialing in this game there wasn't a limit and many players me included flew large cargo ships to fill up and make a lot of credits. Alas it was nerfed all about the balance of the game at the time. Later Engineers showed up with some requiring RCs which now require several trips to meet their needs or a friend to fly with you for twice the cargo. Frontier promoting multi-player seemed to be the thing.

Opinion: 2020 there are many other ways to make a lot of credits so allowing high quantities of RCs would not upset the balance now. But since they are connected to the Engineer's difficulty I don't see that happening. Those who complained about credit balance in the past, and Frontier listened, now have to live with it.

If a player wants to meet other players the last time that I looked a lot of these systems are populated in Open mode. Some players are not very nice per a few bad apples spoils a whole basket of good ones. Carrying high profit RCs go Solo or Group, dock, sell your wares then empty leave the station in Open mode to meet friends or enemies. Worse case have many rebuys so if you are killed you are back at the station that you just docked at with lots of profit with those RCs you just sold for more rebuys. Then load up and go Solo or Group to the next destination. Meanwhile you will make friends if they are not scarred trying to communicate with them.

Read any of the great Elite SciFi writing many authors have provided over the years starting with The Dark Wheel short novella by Robert Holdstock (1948-2009) included in the early games and a player will get a ambiance connection to the game. Then visiting Lave and other systems have some meaning. Making a friend there will feel pretty good.

Regards

Last edited:
Top Bottom