Ships ASPX build up to now.

If I've done this correctly I'm hoping that this link will take anyone interested to the coriolis site where I've added the details of the build of my ASPX. I'm using it for long range exploration and am looking for pointers with regard to improving it where possible. I'm out in the void exploring at the moment but will return to do any improvements at some point.

Thanks very much.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp?code...==.Aw18eQ==..EweloBjB2EoUwIYHMA28QgIwV3fEQA==

Add a heat sink. Maybe 2.
You never know when you need it
You could also drop one AFM and the docking computer and replace them with a cargo rack (minimum size2 - 4t capacity) and a repair limpet.
Just in case you fail a touchdown and survive :)

Otherwise than that, unlock the Guardian FSD booster (nice guide here) and Engineers.

5D thrusters would add a ly of jump range and more importantly lower your energy consumption by 12% thus improving your thermal tolerance while scooping.

Your ships actually running pretty hot at 92% power, using a 4A power plant would only cost you 0.20 ly in jump range but would lower your power consumption to just 61% which is far more comfortable.

Also make sure you change your planetary vehicle hangar to the 6t version, it uses more power but it’s switched off while traveling anyway. Save yourself some unnecessary weight...

Engineer that FSD.....and then put it in a DBX.

Last edited:
This is a non Horizons unengineered Asp Explorer, similar to the build we were using five years ago, minus the extra heatsinks, - you can synthesize heatsinks now, and you wont need them much:

Asp X 3300

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I'm just going through the process of getting mats together for the Felicity Farseer FSD upgrades. Am currently pillaging Dav's Hope by logging on and off to respawn the goodies. Once I get some phosphorous, manganese and arsenic I think I have enough stuff to go through all 5 upgrades for the increased distance on my FSD. 👍🏼

I think I have enough stuff to go through all 5 upgrades for the increased distance on my FSD.

The rolls required to maximize G5 engineering are something like that:
1x G1
1x G2 (very rarely 2 rolls)
2-3x G3
3-4x G4
6-11x G5

So make sure you have enough materials if you plan to fully G5 the FSD. You can also stop after the first 3-4 rolls at G5

Also, make sure that you do some other engineering at Farseer:
G1 PP - you can use an A-rated PP and either G1 Overcharge with Thermal Spread experimental or you can G1 Low emissions with Stripped down experimental
G3 Sensors - light weight
G3 DSS - useful for planetary mapping - easier to get the mapping bonus
G3 Drives - Dirty with Drag drives (dont get into Clean, it's not really worth it)

If you Unlock Martuuk too, you can G3 Enhanced Low Power your shields and you got yourself a decent exploration Asp.
Just make sure you visit the engineers in Solo, unless you enjoy the Adrenaline Rush and the prospect of a Rebuy

Ah yes, I wondered about the 'rolls' thing. I'll check it out as you say before committing to the upgrades. Thanks very much for all of the extra tips too. All very useful and definitely something I'll take note of. 👍🏼

Just another concern that nobody has mentioned so far...

When you explore and the space madness starts to kick in you may find yourself wanting to set down at some point. The pretty planets may call to you...

That 71mj shield of yours is causing me to lose sleep. You'll easily break that when landing in an AspX if you're not careful (she's rather heavy, and a bit of a drift cow to be honest).

Check the gravity of planets in the system map before approaching them. Anything over 0.5g will be a cause for concern with those shields if you're not experienced at doing landings. Always touch down with 4 pips to sys to avoid any unwanted hull damage...

Thwarptide

Banned
You don't need 2 AFMU's
Remove one, drop your 3d shield generator to the vacant #3 slot.
Now put a Guardian FSD BOOSTER into the #5 slot and you should get a big 10ly jump range increase.
A big help getting from point A-B. Also guardian booster does improve fuel consumption a bit. In my Krait Phantom I get an extra jump bef I need to scoop.
When you get to point b and (if) you want to plot a route for search pattern, you can shut it down, then you can set your map to "most efficient route". That way you'll hit more stars.
That's my $1.25 worth (inflation)

Last edited:
You don't need 2 AFMU's
Remove one, drop your 3d shield generator to the vacant #3 slot.
Now put a Guardian FSD BOOSTER into the #5 slot and you should get a big 10ly jump range increase.
A big help getting from point A-B. Also guardian booster does improve fuel consumption a bit. In my Krait Phantom I get an extra jump bef I need to scoop.
When you get to point b and (if) you want to plot a route for search pattern, you can shut it down, then you can set your map to "most efficient route". That way you'll hit more stars.
That's my $1.25 worth (inflation)
OP probably doesn't need 2 AFMU's for light exploration you're right...

But the reason for carrying two AFMU's into deep space is that in the event of a huge overheat disaster (binary stars, its happened to me) you can use one AFMU to repair the other. If you only have one AFMU and it gets fried you have no way of repairing it because it can't repair itself.

It can.. On reboot your afmu heals to 1%. That is enough to fix your ship.

These days with DSSA around your dont need repair limpets. But you still need a afmu for neutron jumping

It can.. On reboot your afmu heals to 1%. That is enough to fix your ship.

These days with DSSA around your dont need repair limpets. But you still need a afmu for neutron jumping
I wouldn't count on other players. CMDR could have bad mood and decomissioned it, then you come and can't repair.

Just another concern that nobody has mentioned so far...

When you explore and the space madness starts to kick in you may find yourself wanting to set down at some point. The pretty planets may call to you...

That 71mj shield of yours is causing me to lose sleep. You'll easily break that when landing in an AspX if you're not careful (she's rather heavy, and a bit of a drift cow to be honest).

Check the gravity of planets in the system map before approaching them. Anything over 0.5g will be a cause for concern with those shields if you're not experienced at doing landings. Always touch down with 4 pips to sys to avoid any unwanted hull damage...

Thanks for the heads up regarding my shields and planetary gravity. Is there some sort of calculation or something along those lines whereby an acceptable shield strength can be established? I do intend to do some planetary exploration and so definitely want to ensure that I won't crack like an egg when I drop heavily on the surface. I've already experienced hull damage once when landing on a planet so would definitely like to put that right.

Thanks for the heads up regarding my shields and planetary gravity. Is there some sort of calculation or something along those lines whereby an acceptable shield strength can be established? I do intend to do some planetary exploration and so definitely want to ensure that I won't crack like an egg when I drop heavily on the surface. I've already experienced hull damage once when landing on a planet so would definitely like to put that right.
Honestly it depends on player skill and how comfortable/familiar you are with your ship. Practicing your landings in the bubble would be a good idea, and unlike many other activities in the game it's pretty quick to do.

If I had to put a number on it I'd feel comfortable with a 150mj shield on most ships. A 148mj shield with 4pips to sys provides a 370mj security blanket for higher gravity landing. It's one of the reasons I love the Dolphin for exploration, its got a pretty tough shield for its size and other good internals.

That said, I'm planning a trip to The Abyss soon and the Phantom I hope to take will be running 500mj shields, just in case... :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom