Ships ASPX build up to now.

Thwarptide

Banned
But the reason for carrying two AFMU's into deep space is that in the event of a huge overheat disaster (binary stars, its happened to me) you can use one AFMU to repair the other. If you only have one AFMU and it gets fried you have no way of repairing it because it can't repair itself.
I've been out in the dark for 7 months now (getting a new bubble homesickness now). Never once had a need for an AFMU let alone two, though I keep just one. There's these sweet little thing called heat sinks that have saved me quite a bit few times. No dmg to internal modules either. I know plenty of explorers who would rather not be burdened with two. Many prefer to have two srv's, guardian FSD's etc. The extra afmu is a waste of space.

Its better and wiser to coach him on how to deal with heat sinks and binary stars than stuff his internals with something he'll likely never use UNLESS he wants to try his hands making the risky big jumps.

Last edited:
I've been out in the dark for 7 months now (getting a new bubble homesickness now). Never once had a need for an AFMU let alone two, though I keep just one. There's these sweet little thing called heat sinks that have saved me quite a bit few times. No dmg to internal modules either. I know plenty of explorers who would rather not be burdened with two. Many prefer to have two srv's, guardian FSD's etc. The extra afmu is a waste of space.

Its better and wiser to coach him on how to deal with heat sinks and binary stars than stuff his internals with something he'll likely never use UNLESS he wants to try his hands making the risky big jumps.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbq6Ka3woAo

This was posted just two hours ago, it still happens man. You don't know it's a risky jump until after the fact. Every time you jump you role the dice...

I'll continue taking two AFMU with me, they have no mass and can be switched off. I'd rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them...

Meh, you jump through close binaries all the time, it's actually totally fine. It barely affects your heat, and if it does, you just... turn and fly away. It's like, super easy to get out from. Pop a heat sink if you really need it. And even then, if it does do damage, it'll only be a tiny amount, and 1 AFMU is more than enough to fix you up. Having 2 isn't gona do anything at all to help. You'll never perma lose your AFMU if you only have 1, because you can always get it back up and running with a reboot.

Literally the only thing that might accidentally kill you even if you're careful is a white dwarf, because the exclusion zones are way larger than they show them to be, making it near impossible to safely get close, so just stay away from them completely and you're fine. Other stars, blackholes and neutrons are all totally safe, even in close proximity, unless you're trying to get yourself killed.

Just one little thing, @D-Simmo, that you might not be aware of re: engineering rolls (took me quite a bit of wasted mats before I figured it out):

When you're rolling to complete a given grade, let's say G3, and you reach about 75-80% completion, the next higher grade will become available (you'll see it light up on the list on the left). At that point, immediately switch to that next higher grade, G4 in our example, and start rolling for that. First roll will start G4 AND complete G3, saving some precious mats.

Thanks for that MishaTX, I wasn't aware of that so I'll watch out the next time. Already upgraded my FSD to a G5 but will know for the next time around. Out if interest, is there a sort of 'order of importance' when it comes to upgrading stuff or does it depend on what you are wanting to do with the ship? (Which in my case is long range exploration) Dabbled with the 'dirty tuning' and stuff too but need to find out more about that so that I don't do anything to make things worse.

For an explorer? Order of do things is to upgrade your FSD first, and it's one of the few exceptions where I'll say "finish the G5" no matter what, because every inch counts when it comes to jump range in an explorer build, at least as far as I'm concerned. Mostly you're not getting enough out of your last three or four rolls at G5 to make it worth the hassle of having to find the mats again, but when it comes to range on an explorer... That's a different matter. Not that you can't get there slower, but there are places that you simply can't plot a route to without taking a major detour if your range is too low.

As to the rest, for an explorer don't worry too much about engineering at first, although investing the tiny amount of time getting the Guardian FSD booster is more than worth it. 10 extra LYs for a size 5 slot is great.

As to the rest, my bit of advice as somebody who started out in a ship with only the most basic of engineering and wanting to go see stuff (it's cool):

As to rates in an explo ship, only worry about D and A rates. D is decent performance, low weight (more range), and affordable price. A is superb performance, a little bit more weight and high price. As a beginning explorer, I'd say only A rate your fuel scoop and your FSD. The rest is fine D-rated, unless you want to try your hand at high G planets, in which case A rated thrusters help a lot. Again, I'm trying to stay out of engineering at this point, as that is a whole different matter.

Flying? Always, ALWAYS scoop when you're at a star that will let you. Don't let the streamers who think it's cool to let their tank run almost empty before they scoop because it's "faster" that way fool you. It isn't. Scooping x tons of fuel takes the exact same amount of time whether you're doing it in one stop or fifteen, total. And if you let your tank run almost dry thinking that you'll find a scoopable star soon, be prepared to call the fuel rats when you realize that your nav computer assumed that you weren't a streamer and remembered to top off before you hit a streak of five dwarf stars in a row.

On that note, if your fuel is running close or below one half, check your GalMap. As a matter of fact, do that regularly. It will keep your route updated and it will mark stars that are "last chance to scoop" with an icon. Don't ignore that. If you're in doubt, don't be afraid to plot a pit stop at a scoopable star along your route in there either.

Shields? Don't do ANYTHING without a "bumper shield", no matter how much you'd like to use that slot for something else, especially not in an explorer. I don't care if you're Starbuck, at some point you're going to bump into something and be grateful that your shield, even if it's just a D-rated bumper, took the blow. Shields regenerate for free, hulls don't. And if you're out in the black, well, it's usually a long way to the nearest shop.

Just a few pointers. Fly safe, CMDR! o7

Last edited:
Thanks MishaTX, lots if helpful stuff for me to take note of there. I always make a point if scooping at every available opportunity as I feel far better having a full tank than a half-empty one. Now that I have a 6A scoop it's hardly any bother anyway. My ASPX now does just over 50ly per jump so I'm currently away into the black to try it out and scan a few systems to boost my credits a bit. When I return I'll take a look at sorting out the Guardian FSD booster.

Thanks again for your time.

You don't need 2 AFMU's
Remove one, drop your 3d shield generator to the vacant #3 slot.
Now put a Guardian FSD BOOSTER into the #5 slot and you should get a big 10ly jump range increase.
A big help getting from point A-B. Also guardian booster does improve fuel consumption a bit. In my Krait Phantom I get an extra jump bef I need to scoop.
When you get to point b and (if) you want to plot a route for search pattern, you can shut it down, then you can set your map to "most efficient route". That way you'll hit more stars.
That's my $1.25 worth (inflation)
Yes. No! 3D shielded Asps are a meme right now. Never ever ever click open with such a build, because it will explode faster then you can read this sentence.
It can.. On reboot your afmu heals to 1%. That is enough to fix your ship.

These days with DSSA around your dont need repair limpets. But you still need a afmu for neutron jumping
☝what GroG says.

You can easily use a small bumper shield, but only in solo/PG.
In open I recommend both big shields (biggest or second biggest optional, as many E rated boosters as you can fit), and maxed out hrusters for maneuverability.

Example for an open rated Explorer (certified ungankable by Distant Ganks)

Thanks for that, just looking at shield generators now on Coriolis. I'm still running on a 3D for now but am only doing a trip of scanning systems at the moment with no intention of doing any planetary landings. When I start again with the landing bit I'll upgrade accordingly. When choosing a shield generator, do I install one which matches the fully laden hull mass of my ship or is there more to it than just that? My hull mass is 368t fully laden at the moment. I always try to remember to have full pips to shields when landing as I seem to remember that this makes a big difference to the shield capability?

Still work to do on modules when I return methinks.

Thanks for the info 👍🏼

Thanks for that, just looking at shield generators now on Coriolis. I'm still running on a 3D for now but am only doing a trip of scanning systems at the moment with no intention of doing any planetary landings. When I start again with the landing bit I'll upgrade accordingly. When choosing a shield generator, do I install one which matches the fully laden hull mass of my ship or is there more to it than just that? My hull mass is 368t fully laden at the moment. I always try to remember to have full pips to shields when landing as I seem to remember that this makes a big difference to the shield capability?

Still work to do on modules when I return methinks.

Thanks for the info 👍🏼
The Asp is a bit problematic to properly shield, to be honest.
You can omit a c5 or c6 slot and either use a small GFSD booster or scoop, or you can use a c3 shield generator which limits the survivability,
even with a 3A prismatic. That's why I advise to use the Phantom in open (or an Orca or iClipper with less jumprange).
The Orca or iClipper can outrun 99% of all gankboats, so you don't need very high shields.

The Asp is a bit problematic to properly shield, to be honest.
You can omit a c5 or c6 slot and either use a small GFSD booster or scoop, or you can use a c3 shield generator which limits the survivability,
even with a 3A prismatic. That's why I advise to use the Phantom in open (or an Orca or iClipper with less jumprange).
The Orca or iClipper can outrun 99% of all gankboats, so you don't need very high shields.

Thanks Bigmaec, I only play in solo mode so hopefully won't suffer too much grief. Zero cargo carried either so any interdictions I've experienced have ended with no problem up to now.

Thanks Bigmaec, I only play in solo mode so hopefully won't suffer too much grief. Zero cargo carried either so any interdictions I've experienced have ended with no problem up to now.
In PvE (or solo/PG) I tend to use reinforced lo-draw biweaves, so that if I bump into something, my shields regenerate fast.

You can also engineer the lightweight hull with heavy duty deep plating to increase integrity at no additional mass increase. Slap a mining laser on there, DSSA can't save you if boosting to a set of stars just out of unboosted jump range. Also a lightweight rail with plasma slug may get used at times to get that extra little bit of jump when needed

Thanks CptArcher,

Couple of quick queries.

What is DSSA please? Also, rails and plasma slugs? Can't say as I've encountered those either?

Thanks very much.

Thanks CptArcher,

Couple of quick queries.

What is DSSA please? Also, rails and plasma slugs? Can't say as I've encountered those either?

Thanks very much.
DSSA is a bunch of Fleet Carriers scattered all around the Galaxy.

Rail gun, engineered to (IIRC) at least level 3 (for explorer fuel fine tuning: light weight mount) with plasma slug experimental effect, will consume a small amount of fuel with each shot.

DSSA is a bunch of Fleet Carriers scattered all around the Galaxy.

Rail gun, engineered to (IIRC) at least level 3 (for explorer fuel fine tuning: light weight mount) with plasma slug experimental effect, will consume a small amount of fuel with each shot.
Ah OK, got it now.

Thanks very much 👍🏼

Top Bottom