Atmo re-entry effects and challenges in Odyssey?

At the start of the mission ship was entering atmo, no effect whatsoever.....no turbulence, heat accumulation...etc!

Judging by the engine trails, the ship had already entered the atmosphere when the video started.

Whether or not there will be any re-entry effects or what it's like remains to be seen.

Considering you're entering the atmosphere during orbital cruise, I doubt there will be any significant gameplay effects. Especially with only tenuous atmospheres. That may be something they will add later on with thicker atmospheres. Though starting to ease people in with tenuous atmospheres may be a sensible progression. Just imagine the threads how they "Just wanted to land on a planetary port when I suddenly overheated and died. What gives?".

Oh boy that's wrong..... Mars has less than 1% of Earths atmo and there are re-entry effects (shaking, plasma...etc.).....going from vacuum to gas state will affect object entering it, depending on speed.
Velocities outside supercruise rarely exceed Mach 2. Is such a low velocity relevant for atmospheric heating during reentry?

At the start of the mission ship was entering atmo, no effect whatsoever.....no turbulence, heat accumulation...etc!
if you watch the video they were only travelling at 200 in those shots, they were (deliberately) out of supercruise/glide to get the shots at an altitude where they should have been at glide / drop threshold. We've really no idea about the glide or any heat effects yet.

edit - because they went out of their way to not show it

For Mars, do we know what the atmoshpheric entry was like for the rover? I believe it opened a shute very early on and all the way down, and the shape of the module was designed to slow the object itself. Not sure there was any high heat/plasma?

Must be info on it somewhere though.

Velocities outside supercruise rarely exceed Mach 2. Is such a low velocity relevant for atmospheric heating during reentry?
I don't know at what speed in what atmo type and density will produce enough traction to cause visible heat effects but there are other effects too....aerodynamic....shaking.....

For Mars, do we know what the atmoshpheric entry was like for the rover? I believe it opened a shute very early on and all the way down, and the shape of the module was designed to slow the object itself. Not sure there was any high heat/plasma?

Must be info on it somewhere though.
Yes there was heating/atmo traction causing plasma effects 😀
As it wen't lower into atmo it's shape caused slowdown and deployed chute when under 1000mph if i remember correctly

Well, there's the evidence of heat:

The heat shield helps slow the vehicle down during its final approach, while protecting the rover inside from the intense heat experienced during entry into the Martian atmosphere. The heat shield could be exposed to temperatures as hot as 2,370 degrees Fahrenheit (~1,300 degrees Celsius) as it descends through the Martian atmosphere.

A bit OT (sorry), but...
I've read somewhere that at very high velocities even micro particles can lead to structural damage. ED doesn't care about such effects and never did. Many years ago I've played a space game (can't remember its name right now) that where using these effects as a speed limiter, so it was up to the pilot how much risk he wants to take: More risk, more hull damage until your ship would eventually explode if you overdo it. I find this method a lot more intelligent and realistic as the artificial speed limiters in ED or Jumpgate btw, which was using a very similar static limiter as in ED. But then this game was much closer to a simulation than ED ever will be...
Elite has Ship Integrity which decreases in value, and needs repairing, through use in travel and combat.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Note to all participants: please discuss the topic. Other participants are not the topic. Failure to comply will result in reply bans, advisories, warnings and / or thread closure.

I've yet to see any pedestrian discomfited by the exhaust from a ship, which must be several orders of magnitude greater than the forces behind geyser ejecta.

Top Bottom