Atmo re-entry effects and challenges in Odyssey?

On the blue tint or not, I thought the atmosphere in the video looked good from higher up:

dirs5.jpg

Gliding in at 2500mps appears to be normal flight.. Are you certain about that. ?

Flimley
Glide (Orbital Cruise) is part of supercruise, not normal flight.

What I'm hoping for/expecting is an extra mechanism on the existing glide mechanic where sticking to the proper approach angle allows you to approach the surface and perform a safe drop from orbit cruise and not doing so causes an emergency drop with resultant integrity damage. Plasma effects and a heat-based mechanic would be a bonus.

What I'm also hoping for/expecting is a buffeting effect while in atmospheric flight, making the ship harder to control. This will hopefully scale with atmosphere density, ship speed and (I dare to hope), a basic aerodynamic rating based on ship model and mass, making those little wings on the side of the adder finally worth their while.

Still not convinced, would a flying brick like the T7 really be buffeting in the wind when it's being held up by magic engines in any case?

No, one is real and the other is a game.

Flight model changes would make sense if fdev had said to us that we were getting clouds and simulating winds etc. Instead they said months ago that because it's thin atmospheres, we wont be getting "aggressive" weather, storms etc.

It would be good to have the flight model changed in atmosphere, I'm just saying I can't see it.
Winds and weather has nothing to do in this case with ED ship FM being non-existent in thin atmo.
You're confusing atmo features (thickens) that sustain weather and winds with general aerodynamics of objects moving trough the medium.

FD said no, thats ok but than it's FM is more arcade than any other space game.
Anyway i won't judge until i try it on 29th

Winds and weather has nothing to do in this case with ED ship FM being non-existent in thin atmo.
You're confusing atmo features (thickens) that sustain weather and winds with general aerodynamics of objects moving trough the medium.
No, I'm just lumping them together as not something fdev will be simulating :sneaky:

Not correct, Orbital Cruise is part of SC indeed, but Glide is not part of Orbital Cruise, as explained in that same wiki. You hear the SC exit boom when you drop into Glide, and that can be interrupted with no hard transition to normal space because you are already in it.

Then it really mostly depends on the atmosphere density. If something like Mars is considered thin atmosphere in Odyssey, a 2500 m/s speed below 25 km of altitude would mean coming down still quite a bit spicy on the nose. If it's something like Pluto's atmosphere though, I guess you could get to the surface at just about any speed without feeling any effect whatsoever.

Inclusion/lack of re-entry effects will be an explicit indicator of the attention that spaceship focused CMDRs can expect in the near future.

I'm curious.

Only likely to notice anything at all in glide I'd have thought, and the turning ability in glide is pretty insane really, which implies the engines can easily overpower any atmospheric effects at that speed in a thin atmosphere, so whilst the lack of any effects will be a little disappointing including them would be almost entirely cosmetic, so not a major disappointment.

Our ships already shake and rattle while in Glide. I suspect this will simply continue with Odyssey.

The same magical warp-space bubbles that stop us from smearing into biomechanical goo when we instantly decelerate from >30 km/s to <200 m/s when we smash into a star, will protect us from any atmospheric effects caused by a wimpy tenuous atmosphere.

Oh boy that's wrong..... Mars has less than 1% of Earths atmo and there are re-entry effects (shaking, plasma...etc.).....going from vacuum to gas state will affect object entering it, depending on speed.

Entry speed to atmosphere for mars probes is 7.2kps;

When the capsule hit the atmosphere it decelerated from about 7.3 km/s to 0.4 km/s (16330 mph to 900 mph) over three minutes.

Mars atmosphere is around 10klms thick, we hit glide (2.5kps) around 50klms -70klms up and often exit glide to normal flight around 7klms - 10klms up (that's rough, different heights for different size and gravity), so we are aleady traveling only a third of Mars probe entry speed on high approach and when we hit thin atmosphere most of the time we are already in normal space so I don't expect to much from that, a little bit would be nice but our modern ships in 3300 are designed for much slower entry than current ships and probes that we just throw at planets and hope for the best!

Last edited:
I wonder if FD have thought about making hull temps go up on unshielded ships entering atmospheres, and that shields cool?

Gliding in at 2500mps appears to be normal flight.. Are you certain about that. ?

Flimley

It's not, I have mapped entire planets in glide mode, attack angles and changing direction have no effect on speed, it remains fixed at 2500mps no matter how you turn and twist, duck and dive. If it was any form of normal flight I would expect to see changes in speed when diving and pulling up. Now gravity does seem to affect you in glide because there are quite a few times I have hit the blackout animation, but speed remain unchanged. So pulling out of a steep glide at 2500mps will make you black out, but not slow you down.

Some heat buildup should occur, also some shaking and colors change at least around the shield, and if you don’t have a shield a lot of heat should occur. But let’s see.

It's not, I have mapped entire planets in glide mode, attack angles and changing direction have no effect on speed, it remains fixed at 2500mps no matter how you turn and twist, duck and dive. If it was any form of normal flight I would expect to see changes in speed when diving and pulling up. Now gravity does seem to affect you in glide because there are quite a few times I have hit the blackout animation, but speed remain unchanged. So pulling out of a steep glide at 2500mps will make you black out, but not slow you down.

It's not normal flight, but it's normal space, as the blackout and redout effects suggest. Physical effects are hugely toned down for gameplay reasons, otherwise given the massive amount of g our avatars are subjected to, we would blackout at the slightest turn at 300 m/s already. When traveling at almost 10 km/s though, those effects become apparent again. Doing a boost and a hard pull when traveling over 4000 m\s at the end of a speedbowl is fun stuff.

At the start of the mission ship was entering atmo, no effect whatsoever.....no turbulence, heat accumulation...etc!

At the beginning of the mission they were around 22klms up, well above where you would expect atmospheric turbulence in a tenuous atmosphere, the next shot they were 4klms up, already in the atmosphere, then after that 300m up. They had already exited glide above 20klm and under normal thrust at 300mps. How much turbulence you would feel at that speed in an atmosphere that was all but non-existant is questionable. This is something I am keen to test in the Alpha, to see what changes with planetary approach compared to zero atmosphere worlds.

You’re using reverse psychology on me aren’t you. 😬

Flimley

I've yet to see any pedestrian discomfited by the exhaust from a ship, which must be several orders of magnitude greater than the forces behind geyser ejecta.

I once flew my Cobra 3 past the exhaust ports of a megaship and nearly got fried, that was fun, you should try it!

Top Bottom