August Dev Diary, your hopes and expectations

The fact their name is incorrect on the list kind of says it all really....broken, Fdev are broken lol FRONTIER DEVELOPM where is the EMTS...oh yes they only get that part when they finish a product with content that is fun...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

The Ents were last seen marching on Isengard. Hope they are okay.

Well... if they stick to their promise, the new iceplanets wont be a part of Oddyssey, as they specifically said they weren't pushing the stuff they had shown then (like carriers for instance) into a paid expansion.

So that'll have to be part of the base game upgrade.
Jus sayin.
Indeed and if they stick to that it is good news for me if they roll that into ED.H as I will be stuck in that if I want to carry on playing. I would love to see those concept images in my SRV in VR

My hope is that the dev diary goes live before MSFS 2020 downloads, otherwise I'm going to have a really hard decision to make.. It's going to be a close one!

Definitely going to lose the SIM crowd over that one, but I suspicion most of Elite's playerbase are in fact RPG-oriented...not SIM oriented. They just think they are, but bring back flight take off routines, higher fuel and repair costs, and really grind out supercruise and hyperspace...

I love simulators - love them - but Elite is clearly meant to be a game, not a SIM, if Odyssey is any indicator. What remains to be seen is if that gamer population can stand shallow content - or none at all - much longer. It says a lot that, at this juncture, single-player titles like X4 have more life in them than this game.

Indeed and if they stick to that it is good news for me if they roll that into ED.H as I will be stuck in that if I want to carry on playing. I would love to see those concept images in my SRV in VR

Well, you probably mean you would like to see the results the game artists made from that concept art.

Sorry for being pedantic, but there was only ever one (maybe two?) image(s) that were from the game engine, the rest were concept art, and everyone got really excited for some reason...

It was an ice shader folks...

Definitely going to lose the SIM crowd over that one, but I suspicion most of Elite's playerbase are in fact RPG-oriented...not SIM oriented. They just think they are, but bring back flight take off routines, higher fuel and repair costs, and really grind out supercruise and hyperspace...

I love simulators - love them - but Elite is clearly meant to be a game, not a SIM, if Odyssey is any indicator. What remains to be seen is if that gamer population can stand shallow content - or none at all - much longer. It says a lot that, at this juncture, single-player titles like X4 have more life in them than this game.
I hear what you are saying, as I find flying my Krait in Space Engineers WAY more challenging than flying the same ship in ED.

are you serious?
they said space leg and tenuous atmospheres like you can see in the teaser. It is not hard to understand what they mean, and they don't mean what you write.
I bet you will come here the day after release ranting about the absense of all that feature they never promised.
Whoa! Salty!

Maybe you didn't realise in your eagerness to sprinkle us with your salty response, but I was repling to someone else's views on what they'd like to see, and simply airing what my take on it would be.

As for improved planet surfaces, there were of course the much touted ice world improvements delayed from 2018 which we're still waiting for... We can only assume these were delayed because it made more sense to combine it into some other later release? I'd assume that could be planetary surface improvements in general coming with this next big update.
1571773553883-png.148262

Now, take a deep breath and maybe go easy with that salt! It's bad for you in quantity!

ps: Braben talking about clouds 8yrs ago, which again, we can only hope tech and content like this is due soon (and it would be higher up my list than FPS pewpew) -
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBvpd3_Vqk&t=4m40s

Last edited:
Whoa! Salty!

Maybe you didn't realise in your eagerness to sprinkle us with your salty response, but I was repling to someone else's views on what they'd like to see, and simply airing what my take on it would be.

As for improved planet surfaces, there were of course the much touted ice world improvements delayed from 2018 which we're still waiting for... We can only assume these were delayed because it made more sense to combine it into some other later release? I'd assume that could be planetary surface improvements in general coming with this next big update.
1571773553883-png.148262

Now, take a deep breath and maybe go easy with that salt! It's bad for you in quantity!

ps: Braben talking about clouds 8yrs ago, which again, we can only hope is due soon? -
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBvpd3_Vqk&t=4m40s

What no-one realises is that you are in fact driving on a giant salt crystal and dodging sodium ions.

Well, you probably mean you would like to see the results the game artists made from that concept art.

Sorry for being pedantic, but there was only ever one (maybe two?) image(s) that were from the game engine, the rest were concept art, and everyone got really excited for some reason...

It was an ice shader folks...
Absolutely. I was talking about the target renders NOT the (imo more than acceptable but not stunning) in engine ice surfaces.

Last edited:
I am also from the Pong era!

I think it depends on whether you think of a ELITE as a space flight simulator or whether you think of it more as a Han Solo simulator (which is the camp I'm in). So being able to get out on foot is a good thing in my book. There are only so many types of adventure you can have if you're always sitting down in a spaceship.

I'd forgotten that the preview we have talks about missions. So I guess it's just trying to imagine how you'd do missions for all the different "professions" on foot.
I've never seen the game as a space flight sim, as it's not really like space flight in the slightest. To me it's more like what you say, a Han Solo simulator. I'm a commander struggling to survive in a harsh galaxy. But the only thing missing are harsher consequences. It's too easy at present.

I hear what you are saying, as I find flying my Krait in Space Engineers WAY more challenging than flying the same ship in ED.

That's one of the few games that nearly convinces me to splash on a PC again. I've been console peasant for years now, though, and aside from missing RTSs I really have been ok. That and my playstations never jack up. Like, ever. I guess I'm just lucky, but aside from the Thrustmaster drifting in the twist...console has been surprisingly uneventful in all the right ways.

Anyways...I'd love to play Space Engineers. Needless to say, I enjoy NMS for building junk...but that doesn't have as much functional stuff in it like Space Engineers.

Top Bottom