Auto update visited systems.

How about a system that automatically and periodically, or on demand and maybe with a timer checks systems for explored values and updates the visited/unvisited systems that the map can use. I keep loosing my status and it all goes red. There is currently no way to fix this than to visit things again.

I still think we need a partially unexplored status to show stuff that is unexplored in a partially explored system and other advanced features lie mapped vs unmapped and maybe by planet type given information we have. This would not be to find unexplored but explored data only and give away hints as to where we can scan planets like ice or elw or other items. Maybe even black holes and stuff we can't scan(but used to be able to) just to find them easier for generalized exploration. Same could be done with asteroid belts and hotspots and ringed planets. Basically a full search function give our current data. Maybe save a bunch of it on the client side with a way to update it if a glitch happens.

This could be done using the existing way the map works as to not increase server load. Just have your PC go over the gal map as you currently can see the data and check stuff and add to a file. It would be for nothing but the UI's sake and save information locally for reference when opening the galmap. I'm assuming there is data that can be easily checked. Even if it takes some time it could have a scan mode then let them game do it's work until scanned. Maybe even scan per type as not to have to do as much.. I would assume that would depend on the type of search it has to do though.

Of course at that point you could add a clear function and allow it to regenerate info on custom values then also to look for things. This could be used to make a customizable method to follow things like the neutron highway etc. If it's fast you could redo it when needed. Or allow a save function that combines various custom aspects of the map together for trade/exploration/etc.

Last edited:
Often the data on which ones are blue or red in the map function for visited or not visited gets lost as I think it's on the client side. Having the ability for the game to scan the galmap or some part of the software to reupdate that would be good.

The rest is about adding more map functions.

Visited stars is stored locally, you should only be losing it if something on your system is deleting it. You can also back it up. EDMC (or one of the apps) actually already does what you want, if your journals are present it can rebuild your visited stars file.

I don't use third party apps in that way. Plus it may not even work as I'm on linux.

The visited stars cache is stored on your computer and only your computer. If what I am understanding is right you want the galmap to scan every single system of the 400b in the galaxy and rebuild the visited stars cache for you? I don't think that's reasonable or practical.

Deleted member 38366

D
IMHO this is credited due to running Linux (unsupported) and I guess the Container it runs off in the VM is non-persistent, so all temp files generated during its operation are lost.

I wonder if this could be fixed via some WINE setting, so any Session is fully preserved upon exit and all generated Files are saved before ending the Session.
I kinda think this should be possible. but I'm not using it myself (?)

It's normally persistant. I think it gets messed up randomly(And rarely). Either an update or when I looked in a log file for the fuel reserve values it may have done something funny.

I've heard of other people having this issue who I assume were not on linux. I was also assuming there might be a simplified way to do this. Is there an easy reference our computer could run while the galmap is open to check without dealing with the servers? Using some sort of search query or file check thing to get the data. Assuming the files are still there couldn't it just check them and rebuild it from the local files. I think the journals still exist.

Actually I'll run file check real fast. I didn't think about that. Although I'm assuming it won't do anything.

Last edited:
I think the journals still exist.
Actually I'll run file check real fast. I didn't think about that. Although I'm assuming it won't do anything.

I believe there is a way to do it using your journals but it may require the use of third party tools which may not be available under Linux. Just checked and Eddiscovery has a function to export visited stars list to Elite Dangerous so it can be done, the cache is just a text file so I suppose it shouldn't that hard to write something in Linux that will parse the journals and just pull out all star names to a correctly delimited text file.

Last edited:
Often the data on which ones are blue or red in the map function for visited or not visited gets lost as I think it's on the client side. Having the ability for the game to scan the galmap or some part of the software to reupdate that would be good.

The rest is about adding more map functions.

Thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom