Autumn DLC Speculation

"Dozens of people on Twitter" isn't actually evidence to anything, though. Memes self-propogate and don't indicate the popularity of their subject matter, so they aren't actually useful as indicators of anything other than their own viral spread.

Anyway, your post highlights the exact problem with a lot of people; you're looking at "ambivalence" as "dislike". I'm sure a lot of us who aren't happy with the animal choices in this pack would be fine with them in other packs with other animals. If they'd included the raccoon in, say, an Aboreal Animal Pack alongside some more primates, the ocelot, whatever, then it would be easier to swallow. As it stands it's just one among several animals that are on a surface level underwhelming. I have nothing against raccoons - I just don't care about them as a zoo animal. I know they are zoo animals in most of Europe, but they aren't an animal I would look for at the zoo.

The red fox is the only inclusion I actively dislike. I like red foxes just fine, but I don't view it as a good choice for this pack in the slightest.
I agree I like all the animals in this pack but as a package together idk it just feels lacking. A devil, porcupine or fossa would’ve done wonders for me. I love all the animals please don’t get that misconstrued…. But together as a scenery pack it’s too samey. This pack makes me think support will continue cause to do this and birds as a finale is lacking. I almost guarantee we’re gonna have more

"Dozens of people on Twitter" isn't actually evidence to anything, though. Memes self-propogate and don't indicate the popularity of their subject matter, so they aren't actually useful as indicators of anything other than their own viral spread.

Anyway, your post highlights the exact problem with a lot of people; you're looking at "ambivalence" as "dislike". I'm sure a lot of us who aren't happy with the animal choices in this pack would be fine with them in other packs with other animals. If they'd included the raccoon in, say, an Aboreal Animal Pack alongside some more primates, the ocelot, whatever, then it would be easier to swallow. As it stands it's just one among several animals that are on a surface level underwhelming. I have nothing against raccoons - I just don't care about them as a zoo animal. I know they are zoo animals in most of Europe, but they aren't an animal I would look for at the zoo.

The red fox is the only inclusion I actively dislike. I like red foxes just fine, but I don't view it as a good choice for this pack in the slightest.

Edit: Plus the comparison with the capybara falls apart when you examine a key difference - the capybara has a very large and successful global captive presence, whereas captive raccoons tend to be restricted to Europe for the most part.
I don’t care about your opinion on the animals, I’m just saying that raccoons are popular in this community and that’s why they were chosen over smth like the tanuki. Evidence: They were chosen over the smth like the tanuki.

I agree I like all the animals in this pack but as a package together idk it just feels lacking. A devil, porcupine or fossa would’ve done wonders for me. I love all the animals please don’t get that misconstrued…. But together as a scenery pack it’s too samey. This pack makes me think support will continue cause to do this and birds as a finale is lacking. I almost guarantee we’re gonna have more
Agree completely. Giving us the inclusion of the skunk and Red Fox while not using vastly more popular substitutions like the Tasmanian Devil or Maned Wolf and just leaving it at that as end of support after the next pack would just be incredibly disappointing. I know they're not 1 for 1 substitutions, but in the case of the Red Fox/Maned Wolf it's extremely close.

In all honesty if they had included both the devil and the maned Wolf instead of or in addition to, along with a couple of other highly requested animals (the porcupine and kiwi for example), there would be a logical thought that they were wrapping up support, as they would have given us a large number of highly requested animals, including the current top 2 or 3 if you included the porcupine . But as it is now? No way. Not happening.

I keep saying again, that I am thrilled that the exotic animal they chose was my #1 want left, but I also realize that while it was pretty high on the meta list, from a perspective of highly requested animals, there were other more logical inclusions.

The tanuki at least would still fit the theme and be a little more...'exotic'
But the tanuki isn't so popular like the raccoon for example or the wombat and the red fox, without go to far, in this forum, on the meta wish list you can see the position of the animals, and the causal player, yes, we aren't casual player, we are nerds of the animals and it's okey, but the casual player are a high part of this game, and the content always will be for they the most of the time

I don’t care about your opinion on the animals, I’m just saying that raccoons are popular in this community and that’s why they were chosen over smth like the tanuki. Evidence: They were chosen over the smth like the tanuki.
Don't take me wrong, but that's a very weak argument. Do you really think that the Nile lechwe or the spectacled caiman were desired by a lot of players?

Don't take me wrong, but that's a very weak argument. Do you really think that the Nile lechwe or the spectacled caiman were desired by a lot of players?
Yes, but the Nile Lechwe and Spectacled Caiman were
1. introduced in an animal pack, where Frontier has a little room to experiment. Scenery packs are more focused and, since the Aquatic Pack, also only featured popular animals (fitting the theme).
2. not announced as the headliner of the pack. Headliners have to be animals where Frontier is safe to assume that they‘ll earn a lot of money with.

I’m just saying that raccoons are popular in this community
Not really, because again, "this community" is this forum, and according to the data on this forum, they don't rank very highly, and I've already explained why the memetic nature of raccoons in social media doesn't actually point to popularity.

Again, just because five or six people mentioned raccoons half a hundred times in the last six months doesn't mean they're popular, it just means that those five or six people like them a lot and were pushing for their inclusion. They got what they wanted, which is great for them - I'll say it once more though, the issue isn't the animal itself, it's the fact that it arrived with similarly 'plain' animals in such a limited number.
Evidence: They were chosen over the smth like the tanuki.
That isn't evidence. Frontier doesn't always choose what's popular - for all you know it was chosen arbitrarily and any perceived popularity is merely a coincidence. Correlation does not always equal causation. Nobody was asking for the Arctic wolf. Very few people were clamouring for a dingo. In fact, hardly anyone wanted the koala either because at the time we didn't think it would function well as a habitat animal. The grey seal and giant otter were certainly not especially popular at the time, the proboscis monkey was met with confusion, and although a lot of folks were pleased to see it, the Arctic fox came far too late that by the time they announced it most people had already given up on it.

Quite often animals are chosen for DLC based on whatever criteria Frontier looks at in the background that we know nothing about - that's why the wishlist is just a wishlist and not a guaranteed source of future inclusions. The only thing we can be sure about is that it gauges what's popular, and that Frontier has often referenced it (even if they have never directly said so), especially as of the Africa Pack.

Not really, because again, "this community" is this forum, and according to the data on this forum, they don't rank very highly, and I've already explained why the memetic nature of raccoons in social media doesn't actually point to popularity.

Again, just because five or six people mentioned raccoons half a hundred times in the last six months doesn't mean they're popular, it just means that those five or six people like them a lot and were pushing for their inclusion. They got what they wanted, which is great for them - I'll say it once more though, the issue isn't the animal itself, it's the fact that it arrived with similarly 'plain' animals in such a limited number.

That isn't evidence. Frontier doesn't always choose what's popular - for all you know it was chosen arbitrarily and any perceived popularity is merely a coincidence. Correlation does not always equal causation. Nobody was asking for the Arctic wolf. Very few people were clamouring for a dingo. In fact, hardly anyone wanted the koala either because at the time we didn't think it would function well as a habitat animal. The grey seal and giant otter were certainly not especially popular at the time, the proboscis monkey was met with confusion, and although a lot of folks were pleased to see it, the Arctic fox came far too late that by the time they announced it most people had already given up on it.

Quite often animals are chosen for DLC based on whatever criteria Frontier looks at in the background that we know nothing about - that's why the wishlist is just a wishlist and not a guaranteed source of future inclusions. The only thing we can be sure about is that it gauges what's popular, and that Frontier has often referenced it (even if they have never directly said so), especially as of the Africa Pack.
When I say “this community”, I mean the Planet Zoo community, not these forums, I don’t know where you heard me say otherwise. In fact, I literally wrote that the meta-wishlist on this forum is not representative of most of the community. Funnily, you accuse me of only listening to 5-6 people on Twitter, when you’re the one limiting your viewpoints to only a small ratio of the community.

Look at Reddit for example: A post where someone expresses their love for the raccoon is the second most upvoted post this year, and it’s only a matter of time until it surpasses the 1st place. And, of course, it’s a meme, but there have been countless memes like this when packs were announced, and no post ever got near this popularity. Memes can tell us something (although we should take that something with a tiny grain of salt everytime of course), and just straight up ignoring them for this argument is not the way to go.

And please just take a very quick look at Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and else: There are for sure more than 5-6 people excited for the Raccoon, it doesn‘t take much effort to find that out.

I think that’s it with this discussion now, you’re clearly not ready to expand your view onto other platforms than the forums. I figure we’re both tired of writing paragraphs and going in circles now, especially if it’s about such an arbitrary subject.

Have a nice day.

Agree completely. Giving us the inclusion of the skunk and Red Fox while not using vastly more popular substitutions like the Tasmanian Devil or Maned Wolf and just leaving it at that as end of support after the next pack would just be incredibly disappointing. I know they're not 1 for 1 substitutions, but in the case of the Red Fox/Maned Wolf it's extremely close.

In all honesty if they had included both the devil and the maned Wolf instead of or in addition to, along with a couple of other highly requested animals (the porcupine and kiwi for example), there would be a logical thought that they were wrapping up support, as they would have given us a large number of highly requested animals, including the current top 2 or 3 if you included the porcupine . But as it is now? No way. Not happening.

I keep saying again, that I am thrilled that the exotic animal they chose was my #1 want left, but I also realize that while it was pretty high on the meta list, from a perspective of highly requested animals, there were other more logical inclusions.
Imo both the devil and especally the maned wolf completly miss the point of what this pack wanted to offer.
It wanted to be a fun curveball with a halloween theming to use it to include some medium popular animals by choice.
They took a strong marketing hook of halloween and used it to marked 3 animals that many people could see as underwhelming, but would actually appeal greatly to a casual audience + a wombat so that the anti urban american and european animal people also got a strong hook to buy.
This is what most people wanted, a cleverly marketed pack that manages to get animals in that many would see as taking slots away from other animals, but that objectivly add to lacking areas of the game, which are small animals + europe and australia.
Putting in something that coud sell a pack on its own to those that arnt super dedicated to pz would be a waste

I would never expect that mediocrely popular raccoon would ever be a headliner but here we are.
Remember that beaver was chosen over moose, cougar and sea lion and was perceived in a similar way as raccoon now.
Raccoon is by many seen as not a typical zoo species (just as red fox) but really nicely complement NA roster just as the rest of the species in this pack complement other packs.
Model is super cute and I think eventually it would be a really loved species by many of us.

Overall I am really happy with this pack. Animals are beautiful as usual. Lack of inclusion of more popular species indicates longer support.

Of course it could have at least one stronger / more popular animal in it but it has not.
On the other hand beautiful plants, flying bats, Dracula castle and new career scenario is something I would pay alone so those 4 new animals come just as an amazing bonus.

I would never expect that mediocrely popular raccoon would ever be a headliner but here we are.
Remember that beaver was chosen over moose, cougar and sea lion and was perceived in a similar way as raccoon now.
Raccoon is by many seen as not a typical zoo species (just as red fox) but really nicely complement NA roster just as the rest of the species in this pack complement other packs.
Model is super cute and I think eventually it would be a really loved species by many of us.

Overall I am really happy with this pack. Animals are beautiful as usual. Lack of inclusion of more popular species indicates longer support.

Of course it could have at least one stronger / more popular animal in it but it has not.
On the other hand beautiful plants, flying bats, Dracula castle and new career scenario is something I would pay alone so those 4 new animals come just as an amazing bonus.
Yes but who cares what is headliner? It only purpose is to be on cover and in teaser trailer. Any animal can do that if its different than the other headliners to not be confused. people care too much about headliners, it does not matter.

I agree on the rest, why would Frontier need to strictly follow meta-wishlist?Take inspiration yes, but its good that they made something original this time. We might get more popular animalsnext time, but its ok to also make some less popular otherwise anything that is lower on metawishlist would never had a chance to appear, that would be a shame because there are alot of interesting species also.

I think when it comes to headliner animals you just have to think casual players, we on the forums are not really the target audience for that as it's for marketing purposes. Everyone knows what a racoon is, what it looks like etc, same with the horse everyone knows what a horse is. It's just used to grab a larger pool of people to sell a product

I think when it comes to headliner animals you just have to think casual players, we on the forums are not really the target audience for that as it's for marketing purposes. Everyone knows what a racoon is, what it looks like etc, same with the horse everyone knows what a horse is. It's just used to grab a larger pool of people to sell a product
Exactly, 5 years ago I wouldn't even know what a Tasmanian devil looks like. A racoon is iconic and a great way to market towards casual players

Yes but who cares what is headliner? It only purpose is to be on cover and in teaser trailer. Any animal can do that if its different than the other headliners to not be confused. people care too much about headliners, it does not matter.

I agree on the rest, why would Frontier need to strictly follow meta-wishlist?Take inspiration yes, but its good that they made something original this time. We might get more popular animalsnext time, but its ok to also make some less popular otherwise anything that is lower on metawishlist would never had a chance to appear, that would be a shame because there are alot of interesting species also.
I do care what the headliner is. It just not matter to you.

Ok, sorry :)

But how does it matter to you? Does it affect your gameplay or? For me its just animal that is on cover, it doesnt do anything else it just represent the pack, but any of the animals in pack would do that to me.
There's a reason why the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" exists. Many people simply look at the face of the product and if it looks lame they couldn't care less about what else there is.

Face of base game - lion
Arctic - polar bear
South America - jaguar
Australia - koala
Aquatic - king penguin
Southeast Asia - sun bear
Africa - meerkat
North America - beaver
Europe - lynx
Wetlands - capybara
Conservation - przewalski horse
Twilight - racoon

Now what exactly is the theme here? All unique and very well known animals that grab players attention. Having some obscure animal that only nerds will know is a really really bad way of business

Top Bottom