Aviary Speculation in PZ Megathread

Where did the leaked list come from and what was the context of it? I'd be willing to pay more if we got a full on expansion pack that added aviary and marine game mechanics. 7 or 8 birds just isn't enough. This game has over 70 mammals majority of them mega fauna. The africa pack was a step in the right direction with more smaller animals. More variety with birds and reptiles would give new life to the game, at least for me.

Last edited:
Where did the leaked list come from and what was the context of it? I'd be willing to pay more if we got a full on expansion pack that added aviary and marine game mechanics. 7 or 8 birds just isn't enough. This game has over 70 mammals majority of them mega fauna. The africa pack was a step in the right direction with more smaller animals. More variety with birds and reptiles would give new life to the game, at least for me.
Afraid that's confidential 🕵️‍♂️
Hot Take: I would like birds in Planet Zoo.
Madman 🤯

Post in thread 'Aviary Speculation in PZ Megathread'
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/aviary-speculation-in-pz-megathread.587431/post-9449228

I wasn’t sure in which thread to post this but I think the raven would be a good choice to include. Noisy, large, intelligent and a good choice for temperate/northern zoos.

94E0AD9A-E2AF-4777-93C3-BA5480691452.jpeg

I touched upon it in my video, but I feel like an Animal Ambassador System would work really well for birds!
Ah ok, I didn't take that as enrichment items and more as a new mechanic, like the vista points and education talk point. I do really like that idea though. Any bird species, the two iguana species, constrictor snakes, capuchin, the two lemurs, binturong and koalas would all be really great for that.

I don't want to get into the speculation of the exact species that Frontier could pick, but I rather speculate the general species:
Aviaries and flying animals will eventually come to Planet Zoo, but it would be a great shame if they were only locked under a DLC, so that's why we would get both an Aviary Animals free update as well as an Aviary Animal Pack (I don't really see any building theme with birds in general, that's why I went for an animal pack rather than a classic one).
My guess is no more than 30 (more likely 20 or 15) new free species, with those being:
1 or 2 pelicans
2 or 3 cranes
1 other flamingo(?)
4 to 8 between parrots, parakeets and cockatoos since they're quite popular
1 or 2 toucans
3 to 5 gulls
1 or 3 birds of paradise, since Frontier is known to add animals that are rarely seen in zoos or are just in very few zoos in general
3 to 5 ducks and geese
1 or 2 bats
1 gliding squirrel
6 birds of prey between eagles, owls and hawks in general
2 hornbills

Something that also would be very appreciated would be the addition of birds in past packs, for example, adding a random bird to the Deluxe edition (Deluxe needs more love), an Australian bird to the Australia pack and so on with the others.

Last edited:
I've thought of three possible ideas:
  • Perches with hanging mirrors and feeders
  • Ropes to climb and fly to
  • Pile of leaves and sticks that the birds can collect for nests
Also, maybe for broad billed parrots, a food enrichment item that has macadamia or brazil nuts in it, and they have a special animation where they pick it up with their feet and crack it, then eat it. Birds could also use the mini piano item, and maybe the tennis ball too, just carry it while flying.

Also, maybe for broad billed parrots, a food enrichment item that has macadamia or brazil nuts in it, and they have a special animation where they pick it up with their feet and crack it, then eat it. Birds could also use the mini piano item, and maybe the tennis ball too, just carry it while flying.
I really love the nut and the piano idea, those animations would be huge and impressive lo see in the game.

I'm not too sure about the tennis ball though, as in RL if the tennis ball rips a bird could eat the material and could be a safety risk (or maybe I'm thinking about it too literally or over thinking lol)

There is one bird I would particularly like to see in an aviary pack, partly because it could come with an enrichment item that would be useful for a range of other species. That bird is the Egyptian vulture.

1629400086153.png

My reasoning includes:
  • They are a rather widespread species that occurs across large parts of Africa, through Asia as far east as Nepal and across Southern Europe, so they could fit into areas with all manner of other species already in-game.
  • They are culturally quite important across many areas of their range - certainly, they would fit in with the Ancient Egyptian theming, as back in Ancient Egyptian times these were considered royal birds (named the pharaoh's chicken).
  • Like many vultures, they are rather chilled out birds that are able to be kept in walkthrough aviaries and mixed with other species - at least one aviary I know of kept them with smaller birds such as ducks, waders and turtle doves.
  • Egyptian vultures are Endangered, and represent all the different threats vultures face on the three Old World continents - accidental poisoning with cattle drugs in Asia, deliberate poisoning by poachers in Africa and loss of food caused by agricultural changes in Europe.
  • To support this point above, a very recent study found that the breeding and release of captive-bred vultures was essential to ensuring the survival of the species: https://www.birdguides.com/news/captive-breeding-essential-to-save-egyptian-vulture/
  • They are not particularly rare in captivity - there are a large number of European zoos that keep them together with places in South Africa, Singapore and three zoos in North America (including the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, which bred them for the first time last year).
  • And finally, to the main point (about enrichment), the Egyptian vulture is a species that uses tools - in this case they use pebbles to break into ostrich eggs:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWr3iyOOI1I

As well as being useful for the Egyptian vulture, a simple ostrich egg enrichment item could be used for all sorts of other carnivorous species. Animals already in-game I have seen or heard of using ostrich eggs as enrichment include spotted hyenas, African wild dogs, Komodo dragons, bears, big cats, meerkats and wolves.

If I could choose just one bird for an aviary pack, the Egyptian vulture is the species I would choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone thought of unique enrichment items they can make specifically for birds? I haven't seen anyone touch on that yet
I don't most people don't believe aviaries will that be extensive :D

For me, I haven't seen anything like that in the JWE2 trailer. Which is the current trend in aviary feature speculation.
Not convinced that a 2 year old game would have more extensive features than the newest one.
Therefore haven't given it much thought.

Not much experience with that either. Used to have Yellow Canary/Zebra Finch as a pet, with most stuff advised by a neighbor with a lot of experience on that.
So the only ones I can think of is a mirror and mineral blocks.

Overall I hope for a bird DLC instead of an aviary one. A mix between aviary and habitat birds. I'm not overly excited about only aviary birds in a DLC.
The amount of birds is a big question mark and maybe the most debatable one. Looking at JWE, they added an aviary and only 1 flying dino for that.
I don't expect that but also don't expect 20 birds. (would be a nice surprise :D)

For me, I haven't seen anything like that in the JWE2 trailer. Which is the current trend in aviary feature speculation.
Not convinced that a 2 year old game would have more extensive features than the newest one.
And you won't see enrichment items in JWE2, because they simply dont have them. Different games and different animal needs. Pterosaurs can use fish feeders so that maybe can count as enrichment item.

And you won't see enrichment items in JWE2, because they simply dont have them. Different games and different animal needs. Pterosaurs can use fish feeders so that maybe can count as enrichment item.
Well, isn't this whole thread part of the comparison with JWE2 ? Or we can cross off aviaries for PZ at all, because JWE2 is a different game in the first place. (not even part of the planet series).

Adding just a bowl or dish would suffice for PZ, if feeders would count as an enrichment item.

Well, isn't this whole thread part of the comparison with JWE2 ? Or we can cross off aviaries for PZ at all, because JWE2 is a different game in the first place. (not even part of the planet series).
Oh please.

The comparisons with JWE2 have been clear-cut; the engine update brought PZ in-line with JWE2, and the only major feature to be added to JWE2 that isn't already in PZ is flying animals. The rest is entirely speculative, as everyone knows. None of the animals in JWE have needed enrichment so it's a false comparison to suggest that because the pterosaurs also don't, then neither will birds in PZ.

Oh please.

The comparisons with JWE2 have been clear-cut; the engine update brought PZ in-line with JWE2, and the only major feature to be added to JWE2 that isn't already in PZ is flying animals. The rest is entirely speculative, as everyone knows. None of the animals in JWE have needed enrichment so it's a false comparison to suggest that because the pterosaurs also don't, then neither will birds in PZ.
Great to see your negativity towards other opinions hasn't changed.

Oh well, not saying it could but I'll just wait and see what happens. Really not the first time I've seen engine update for different reasons.
Maybe the most important one (in all those years) was the support for newer Windows versions. (curious to see how a higher demanding Windows11 will cope with games)

Not much experience with that either. Used to have Yellow Canary/Zebra Finch as a pet, with most stuff advised by a neighbor with a lot of experience on that.
So the only ones I can think of is a mirror and mineral blocks.
I would personally be very surprised if there was no enrichment for aviary birds.

Top Bottom