Back from popular BAN! "Reverand's Rant"

I've run a bank of bots for over ten years. I have a strong understanding of the history of game bot writers and MtGox. If you would like to discuss the topic at more than a few words at a time I'm totally into it.
That's really cool, but I've seen what Chinese gold farmer bots look like in games like Elder Scrolls Online, and I really have no interest of having them in ED.

I appreciate your differing opinion, I simply don't agree with it and I believe they are also against ED TOS (which basically makes any "secondary market" by definition a "black market" - and 3rd party is obviously true here also).

Last edited:
I find it interesting that you refer to the secondary market as a "third party black market".
This "secondary market" usually employs automation to simulate player activity to create resources in-game to trade for real money against the TOS. Such purchases being completed through a third party.

So selling of ill-gained goods through a third party is pretty accurately described as a "third party black market".

This "secondary market" usually employs automation to simulate player activity to create resources in-game to trade for real money against the TOS. Such purchases being completed through a third party.

So selling of ill-gained goods through a third party is pretty accurately described as a "third party black market".
Okay. To be clear, I buy large quantities of virtual product directly from players or other speculators. When the actual price reaches my sell point, I liquidate to other players or speculators. No farming, no smurfs, no play automation. My bots are used to buy and sell, most of the time in-game. I recently right-sized the bank to only a small fraction of what I was running only a few months before, as the markets started to show instability over the next year.

Okay. To be clear, I buy large quantities of virtual product directly from players or other speculators. When the actual price reaches my sell point, I liquidate to other players or speculators. No farming, no smurfs, no play automation. My bots are used to buy and sell, most of the time in-game. I recently right-sized the bank to only a small fraction of what I was running only a few months before, as the markets started to show instability over the next year.
You're muddying up the context of exactly what I said with what you're saying you do in an entirely different context. I'm not interested in whatever justification you have for your bots in some other context.

You're muddying up the context of exactly what I said with what you're saying you do in an entirely different context. I'm not interested in whatever justification you have for your bots in some other context.
So, you're telling me you wouldn't want to sell engineered modules to other players?

I don't currently know if I could actually make money from playing ED, but yeah. If poop-for-hair influenzers can, why not me?
Yeah, I think it is pretty conscious decision from FDev to avoid the crapshow that is the 3rd party black market with various scam issues and aforementioned automated resource farming. Controlling Twitch-streams is easy b2b deal with ad value, having a real money rate for credits attracts botting and people (like you, I guess) who callously speculate with that.

I have no idea how it would actually manifest in ED, but in ESO it means a pile of nude guys harvesting nodes and mobs with canned input routines.

The game is already Pay2Win for hiding Engineering behind the Horizon Expansion paywall... So, I don't see your validity.
I think the main difference between what you are suggesting and buying horizons is that horizons is a one-time purchase.

It's very hard to level the accusation of P2W against paid expansions because you only need to make a single payment (of a specified amount) to permanently unlock all of the relevant content with the associated increases to the player's power level. Additionally, the paid expansions come with other content that does not increase the player's power level, but rather gives the player something to do with their increased power level and provide a sense of progression (ED doesn't do the sense of progression that well imo).

In contrast, most of what is commonly defined as P2W is not limited to a single transaction. A player could make a single transaction of a few dollars for a minor advantage or they could make as many as a few hundred transactions totaling several thousand dollars for a massive advantage. Both players are ostensibly buying the same content, but the player that spent more money buying the content will have an advantage over the player who spent less money.

To summarize, there is nothing wrong with offering players the option of buying game content provided that:
  • A significant portion (at least 50% - 75%) of the new content is not there for the express purpose of making the player stronger
  • The content is permanently available after only a single purchase of a set price
Note that the additional content will still need to be reasonably priced for what is being offered (none of this 'dividing a full game into several parts and selling them as DLC' nonsense).

Last edited:
In contrast, most of what is commonly defined as P2W is not limited to a single transaction. A player could make a single transaction of a few dollars for a minor advantage or they could make as many as a few hundred transactions totaling several thousand dollars for a massive advantage. Both players are ostensibly buying the same content, but the player that spent more money buying the content will have an advantage over the player who spent less money.
Indeed.

It is a bit hard to see an Elite "whale" being described as a player who dropped 10€ to a Horizons pass especially if the DLC buy rate is the declared 50%...

Top Bottom