Baldur's Gate III?

Oh my god. If Larian are actually making BG3... DOS 1 and 2 were possibly some of the best, if not the best RPGs I've ever played. Up there with first two Fallout games, Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity etc. If anybody should be making another BG it's these guys, no doubt. Could be just DOS3, seeing as a teaser just has number 3 in it :D I'd be fine with either. I thought rights for BG still belong to Bioware.

I'll wait for the reviews. The original games were awesome, but we've seen what happens with these revivals before. Rather than trying to recapture the spirit of the old games and keeping the elements that made them good games, they start throwing lots of new stuff in that just doesn't work as well.

It's Larian, so that gives a bit of hope. Shall see what their plans are for it. And a direct sequel would make no sense, but something in the vein of BG2.. I could live with that.

Just take my money already.

Everything Larian Studios touches turns to gold. I have played D:OS2 through like 3 times and every time its different experience. :)

I have to agree with Agony. With the recent disappointing “reboots” of beloved old games, Torment, Thief, Bards Tale, and to a certain extent Elite, I hope they can pull this one off well.

I'll wait for the reviews. The original games were awesome, but we've seen what happens with these revivals before. Rather than trying to recapture the spirit of the old games and keeping the elements that made them good games, they start throwing lots of new stuff in that just doesn't work as well.
But we're talking LARIAN here, AA: Frickin' Larian, the makers of the Divinity games! I can't think of a better studio to handle a project like this.

But we're talking LARIAN here, AA: Frickin' Larian, the makers of the Divinity games! I can't think of a better studio to handle a project like this.

Every dev can drop a whoopsie. And in this case, presumably they will be under the control of WotC, and they are responsible for that abomonation called 4th Edition.

Every dev can drop a whoopsie. And in this case, presumably they will be under the control of WotC, and they are responsible for that abomonation called 4th Edition.
Actually WotC is trying to wipe most evidence that 4e ever existed. 5e was a hard reset button, they brought everything back they took away, and did sensible streamlining this time around. I mean hells, there's a 5e Eberron book, and Strahd is in an adventure module. Also I'm not sure the BG license is at Hasbro/WotC. But shall see.

Actually WotC is trying to wipe most evidence that 4e ever existed. 5e was a hard reset button, they brought everything back they took away, and did sensible streamlining this time around. I mean hells, there's a 5e Eberron book, and Strahd is in an adventure module. Also I'm not sure the BG license is at Hasbro/WotC. But shall see.
They could've just listened to the people that said 4th was crap and saved themselves the trouble. Baldur's Gate is Forgotten Realms and I doubt anyone owns that besides WotC.

So anyone with any doubts hasn't clearly played Divinity games..
Because if you did, you wouldn't have any doubts. ;)

Then again, it is understandable. Just look at BT4, Numenera and.. cringe Underworld Ascendant. Iconic RPG legacies dragged through the mud by subpar crowdfunded remakes. I know Larian, but people are right to be sceptical, until we know more.

So anyone with any doubts hasn't clearly played Divinity games..
Because if you did, you wouldn't have any doubts. ;)

Dunno, I'd rather they pushed the Divinity universe or start up a new one rather than play the nostalgia card on an old franchise whose fundamental premise (the Bhaalspawns) has reached a rather definitive conclusion. Even within the Forgotten Realms/Sword Coast setting, there's plenty that could be done without feeling the need to tie up to the old franchise.

Dunno, I'd rather they pushed the Divinity universe or start up a new one rather than play the nostalgia card on an old franchise whose fundamental premise (the Bhaalspawns) has reached a rather definitive conclusion. Even within the Forgotten Realms/Sword Coast setting, there's plenty that could be done without feeling the need to tie up to the old franchise.
In name only would definitely be better. Keep the aeshtetics of the Franchise (isometric view or full 3D, 6 man party, story focus, good convos and fleshed out npcs), use the 5e ruleset and/or Pathfinder, and use the Sword Coast setting with a new set of characters and overarching story. Seriously, at this point they could just move over to the Moonsea and have BG3 be a proper remake of PoR, and I would be a happy camper. Or Savage Frontier even.

Top Bottom