Baldur's Gate III?

Well, it looks interesting, but i kept hearing "early access" and the limited races and classes that would be initially available, so i smell DLC monetization in the wind.
Both D:OS 1 and 2 were released in early access, and they are excellently priced games with no extra monetization or even paid DLCs to speak of. Divinity Original Sin received a major overhaul in a form of Enhanced Edition that was free for everybody, and second game has only one in-game DLC that costs like 2 dollars. And is all about a little silly squirrel knight companion called Sir Lora, and an extra quest :)
I think there's very little reason to suspect Larian are planning to fall down to AAA industry level of scum. Their formula worked so far - make a good game, and people will buy it.

It's Larian studios and so far they didn't disappoint me. I'm usually no big fan of early access but this one will certainly be one of my very rare exceptions. There's only one problem: Early access is estimated to start at the end of this year. And IIRC there's something else going to happen around this time... :p

I'll wait until release at least. Not interested in EA.

It's Larian studios and so far they didn't disappoint me. I'm usually no big fan of early access but this one will certainly be one of my very rare exceptions. There's only one problem: Early access is estimated to start at the end of this year. And IIRC there's something else going to happen around this time... :p
If your gaming money is safe with anyone it's safe with Larian. IMO they're the best company in the biz right now for delivering both content and quality. If they haven't earned the respect of the community for their stellar performance with the Divinity games which were both early access, I honestly don't know what it takes. Personally, I'd say their EA games are better then most companies finished product.

If your gaming money is safe with anyone it's safe with Larian. IMO they're the best company in the biz right now for delivering both content and quality. If they haven't earned the respect of the community for their stellar performance with the Divinity games which were both early access, I honestly don't know what it takes. Personally, I'd say their EA games are better then most companies finished product.

Thing is, i never played the Divinity games, so i've got no personal experience of them. While i'll trust the opinions of people here so far, i won't take it on blind faith. If i was inclined to do that, i'd have backed Star Citizen :p

Another problem with Early Access is you consume the content and by the time of release, you can then be already done with the game. This of course depends on how replayable it is. The BG games i got a few replays out of due to choices you could make and different team compositions. I liked how you could start a single player multiplayer session and build a full team of custom heroes (with the loss of custom dialogue of course, so only worth doing after you have experienced the normal game), so could do some crazy stuff like parties full of rangers or wizards or stuff.

However, i'll keep what people have said in mind, and keep my eye on the game.

Thing is, i never played the Divinity games, so i've got no personal experience of them. While i'll trust the opinions of people here so far, i won't take it on blind faith. If i was inclined to do that, i'd have backed Star Citizen :p

Another problem with Early Access is you consume the content and by the time of release, you can then be already done with the game. This of course depends on how replayable it is. The BG games i got a few replays out of due to choices you could make and different team compositions. I liked how you could start a single player multiplayer session and build a full team of custom heroes (with the loss of custom dialogue of course, so only worth doing after you have experienced the normal game), so could do some crazy stuff like parties full of rangers or wizards or stuff.

However, i'll keep what people have said in mind, and keep my eye on the game.
If your lack of familiarity with Divinity and Larian stems from a lack of interest the genre then it's a moot point, but if you do enjoy the genre and somehow missed these titles I highly recommend picking up one or both of them and having some fun; arguably the best games in their category I've ever played.

Thank goodness it's turn based now, as it always should've been. Especially when Larian is doing it. Combat in D:OS and D:OS2 was absolutely superb.

Agree. Too bad the old skool BG purists doesnt seem to agree with that opinion. In their eyes BG3 is not a BG game at all, but Divinity 3 and Larian is nothing but a devil who ruined the whole franchise.

Agree. Too bad the old skool BG purists doesnt seem to agree with that opinion. In their eyes BG3 is not a BG game at all, but Divinity 3 and Larian is nothing but a devil who ruined the whole franchise.
That's like... three people, though. I hope at least.

If your lack of familiarity with Divinity and Larian stems from a lack of interest the genre then it's a moot point, but if you do enjoy the genre and somehow missed these titles I highly recommend picking up one or both of them and having some fun; arguably the best games in their category I've ever played.

LOL, its certainly not a lack of interest in the genre. I'm a big of of D&D base games and CRPGs in general, and was playing D&D since i was a kid.

Its not that i missed the games, i just never got around to buying them. Always something else to play and something about the Divinity games turned me off playing them. Not sure what. Maybe just shades of Spellforce and many hours playing that.

It all comes down to personal choice. If you love D&D and cRPG's as you say and choose to avoid Larian's offerings that's your business, but it only reflects your lack of information, not reality. Baldur's Gate is in as safe a hands as it's possible to be, and they're easily the best fantasy rpg developers in the industry at this point and for the previous number of years--nobody else has really come close to knocking them from that perch.

It all comes down to personal choice. If you love D&D and cRPG's as you say and choose to avoid Larian's offerings that's your business, but it only reflects your lack of information, not reality. Baldur's Gate is in as safe a hands as it's possible to be, and they're easily the best fantasy rpg developers in the industry at this point and for the previous number of years--nobody else has really come close to knocking them from that perch.

I didn't say i avoid their offerings. I said i avoided Divinty. I also see nothing wrong with waiting for a game to achieve full release, no matter how good the devs are.

That's quite funny because both BG & BG2 were turn-based under the hood anyway - they both used the AD&D 2nd Edition rules which are by definition turn-based.

It will be different as an actual turn-based game for sure, but for someone like me who has BG/BG2/Throne of Bhall and UFO Enemy Unknown/XCom/XCom 2 on my all-time favourites list, it's not a deal-breaker. There were some battles in BG2 that you really wanted to use the pause function and play effectively as turn-based anyway. Like Kangaxx for a start, who slaughtered my party more times than I care to remember.

The story was what made the earlier games, as with all the best RPGs. As long as that's still the focus with this one, I'll probably give it a look when it's out. I haven't played any of Larian's stuff previously just because I don't get as much time as I'd like to sink into RPGs in general these days but I've only really heard good things about them.

I'm a fan of Larian games and played most Divinity games, and also an old timer of DnD and Baldur's Gate.. lets say i am eagerly awaiting for that one to release.
I wont touch the EA either, it's free beta testing, and i dont want to be spoiled by an unfinished product. That will be a 1st day purchase once it's released though :)

Top Bottom