Baron Rank: How Long

I’m looking to get Baron Rank (and the Imperial Clipper) ASAP from no Rank with the Empire at the moment. I’m planning to be in V374 Pegasi when I start work. Any advice on what the fastest way to do this is? I’ve looked at other forum posts, and they all seem to say the same thing: missions. Is this seriously the best way to do this? If so, about how long will it take and are there any systems that you would recommend for doing this that are reasonably close (< 50 ly) to V374 Pegasi? Are only Empire systems good for earning rep?

Also, is Achenar a good place to rank up with the empire since it is the capital? Would it be better to go there once I get a permit?

On another note, once I do get the Rank, what is the best way to earn the 22m cr required to buy it? Is it trading, mining, bounty hunting, fighting in conflict zones, or just more missions?

I did it from zero to Baron in about 8h at Ngalinn and Mainani. I am not sure if they are currently in Boom however.

Stack 20 Data missions at one, drop them at the other, stack, drop, etc....

Use a fast ship like an Eagle with a Docking Computer to make it somewhat bareable.

Last edited:
I did it from zero to Baron in about 8h at Ngalinn and Mainani. I am not sure if they are currently in Boom however.

Stack 20 Data missions at one, drop them at the other, stack, drop, etc....

Use a fast ship like an Eagle with a Docking Computer to make it somewhat bareable.

Any small/medium ship will do, though.

i grinded my imp rank a few months back, allready had the achenar permit from the correnation, went there as an outsider. spend 700m on donations in a day, and then got a cutter.

I’m looking to get Baron Rank (and the Imperial Clipper) ASAP from no Rank with the Empire at the moment. I’m planning to be in V374 Pegasi when I start work. Any advice on what the fastest way to do this is? I’ve looked at other forum posts, and they all seem to say the same thing: missions. Is this seriously the best way to do this? If so, about how long will it take and are there any systems that you would recommend for doing this that are reasonably close (< 50 ly) to V374 Pegasi? Are only Empire systems good for earning rep?

Also, is Achenar a good place to rank up with the empire since it is the capital? Would it be better to go there once I get a permit?

On another note, once I do get the Rank, what is the best way to earn the 22m cr required to buy it? Is it trading, mining, bounty hunting, fighting in conflict zones, or just more missions?

It's not that missions are the best way to do it, missions are the ONLY way to gain superpower rank as far as I know.

Any mission you complete for an Empire aligned faction (you can see the empire logo next to faction name on mission board) will increase your rank, missions with more rep+ are better.

Data delivery missions are preferred since they are easy to do and you can stack them up to mission limit in any ship since they don't require any cargo space. If you have enough cash donation missions are good too.

And Achenar is pretty bad for missions since all the startports are pretty far from the main star. You should look for a system that has multiple empire factions and ideally only one station very close to the star. If you can find a pair of empire systems that is isolated (more than 15 Ly from any other inhabited systems) it works best since both locations will only offer missions to the other system in the pair, making it easier to pick many missions going to the same destination.

And it's quite possible that you will make enough money doing these missions to buy the ship you're after.

If you're into agriculture deliveries, come to Synteini. All target stations ae close to the star and no more than 20ly away.

If you're planning to learn to hate Elite, I suggest doing it in Aditi. Great place.

If you want to enjoy and keep enjoying the game, it takes about two months (200 hours) to reach the baron rank by normal, non-exploitative, non-grindy means. ;)

I've got a CobraIII and I do missions in Kangthitani System/Israel Retreat. They are mostly "collect military intelligence from uss". I use a Cobra for speed because sometimes when you jump into the uss about 10 ships show up after a few seconds. I also started using collector limpets when you have to collect 4 at a time. There are also a variety of data transport missions and charity missions. After you get allied the uss missions are over 2mill each. I got busy just running missions for money and the first thing I knew I was Baron and wasn't even trying. I could do about 20mill an hour just playing around. Distance about 6ly from Kangthitani and Hip 104292. You will have to figure the rest out. Also started seeing the bugs lately. I own a half dozen ships but the Cobra has off the shelf speed I need and very low rebuy.

Last edited:
Took me a total of 9 hours running courier missions between two edge bubble outposts (ngalinn)on my alt to get to duke . Boring as hell, but got alot of mef and cif in the process.

Last edited:
Go to Shu Babassi, dock at the planet base and load up on data missions. They all go to the same place. Board flip until you have 20 missions. I made Baron rank in about 3 or 4 hours. This is assuming that the station still offers data missions.

Go to Shu Babassi, dock at the planet base and load up on data missions. They all go to the same place. Board flip until you have 20 missions. I made Baron rank in about 3 or 4 hours. This is assuming that the station still offers data missions.
What exactly is “board flipping”?

Remember you will need at least 100 mill to outfit it properly.

Log out.
Select open.
Check mission board.
Log out.
Select private group.
Check mission board.
Log out.
Select solo mode.
Check mission board.

Repeat until sanity is completely lost.

It's really sad. And when you realize that the same people who complain that SC travel is boring chose THIS as their gameplay.. well..

If you wait until 3.0, then it'll be easier and you'll be able to choose from 'more credits' or 'more rep'.

If you must do board flipping, do it once or twice only.

verminstar

Banned
Log out.
Select open.
Check mission board.
Log out.
Select private group.
Check mission board.
Log out.
Select solo mode.
Check mission board.

Repeat until sanity is completely lost.

My sanity was cured many moons before stacking mission in this game...thats my routine on average 3 to 4 times a day as I grind up the cutter. Rank grind really is the most unprofitable grind there is if ye do it on data deliveries and bribes alone...tis like buying the cutter twice in terms of what it eventually costs.

Systems like achenar are very good once ye have the permits to enter...every station and every faction is empire aligned with most missions taking place inside a 20ly radius, including short haul trades and data runs. Baron is just a formality of time then but apart from that, most others have already answered more or less the same.

Clipper is a lovely ship though...fun to fly and what it cant kill, it can outrun with ease...bout 120 to 140m fer a full A rate build so do watch the old finances too ^

Did both grinds. Neither is worth it. Imperial ships are pretty, Federal ships are fighty, but don't grind for them; it's ultimately disappointing.

Interested in the Clipper? Go try a Python and see if you like it. The iClipper is close, just faster and needs a LARGE pad. (Deal breaker for me). Cutter? Meh; faster T9 with more guns. Other folks are more qualified to talk about Fed ships than I am. Overall it's hard to beat the Python. The T10 is fun, though.

Oh, and Anacondas are ugly. Neener Neener.

Top Bottom