Guide / Tutorial Beginners Ultimate Farming Guide - Elite:Dangerous - How to make MILLIONS - Guide for Beginners

The system you go to in the first video....Why do you not describe HOW TO GET THERE? I have NO CLU how to get there, rendering the whole video pointless to watch.

I'm at my wits end here. I'm out $70, I've watched video after video and I still don't understand why this game dumps you off and doesn't lead you anywhere just..well, see ya!

I'm pretty close to tapping out and walking away. I can pilot ok, leave docks, get to other systems ( sort of, still don't understand half of what the galxy map is telling me or why it won't let me plot a route half the time), but to what end?? My first bounty at a nav beacon he shred my shields in seconds. everything is too far away, I'm not elligible for like...any missions.

Am I just freeking ??

You have to have patience. Its not half as bad as you try to tell us. Weve been all there.

YOu have to, and i mean have to, look at the tutorial videos from the game AND from the internet. Make posts in forums if you have questions and all the things that come with every game like this. Every question you ask can easily answered if you either take a look at your ship interiors or the videos.

How to get there? YOu see the tabs in galaxy map? At one of them there is a search field. Insert the system you want to find and viola, you see it on the map and can plot a route.
You cannot plot a route? Then either you have not enough jump range for it or you have cargo in your ship that takes effect on the jump range too. If you have a route that has the nearest 2 stars like 10 lightyears away and you have a jump range of only 9 then you cannot plot a route. YOu can also plot no route if your fueltank is not big enough to have fuel for the whole trip i think.
Makes sense? All that you can see if looking at your ships values and all the shiny numbers. Besides that, you dont have to go exactly t that area he mentions to make this work. Just trys it in the RES where you are.

I dont know how long your playing but it seems you just have to have more patience or inform yourself more about the game. I play a week now, not even, and have more than 50 million credits, worth of either ships or credits or other stuff. ANdi didnt use one exploit (like log out and change mode for more missions and all that). No, i dont want to brag, i want to show you that there are more than anough ways to make money or otherwise find into the game.

Just do some low money missions, maybe 3 for a faction and you rank up, getting higher paying ones. Doing this for 1 or 2 days got me so high that every mission now in this area of space gives me at least 200.000 credits. SOme even a million. ANd that is done in 5 minutes. Come one guys, these games need work to put into them. Play Eve Online, its 10 times more complicated than this here. Even the best tutorials wont help there because people wont read them anyway...

Last edited:
You have to have patience. Its not half as bad as you try to tell us. Weve been all there.

YOu have to, and i mean have to, look at the tutorial videos from the game AND from the internet. Make posts in forums if you have questions and all the things that come with every game like this. Every question you ask can easily answered if you either take a look at your ship interiors or the videos.

How to get there? YOu see the tabs in galaxy map? At one of them there is a search field. Insert the system you want to find and viola, you see it on the map and can plot a route.
You cannot plot a route? Then either you have not enough jump range for it or you have cargo in your ship that takes effect on the jump range too. If you have a route that has the nearest 2 stars like 10 lightyears away and you have a jump range of only 9 then you cannot plot a route. YOu can also plot no route if your fueltank is not big enough to have fuel for the whole trip i think.
Makes sense? All that you can see if looking at your ships values and all the shiny numbers. Besides that, you dont have to go exactly t that area he mentions to make this work. Just trys it in the RES where you are.

I dont know how long your playing but it seems you just have to have more patience or inform yourself more about the game. I play a week now, not even, and have more than 50 million credits, worth of either ships or credits or other stuff. ANdi didnt use one exploit (like log out and change mode for more missions and all that). No, i dont want to brag, i want to show you that there are more than anough ways to make money or otherwise find into the game.

Just do some low money missions, maybe 3 for a faction and you rank up, getting higher paying ones. Doing this for 1 or 2 days got me so high that every mission now in this area of space gives me at least 200.000 credits. SOme even a million. ANd that is done in 5 minutes. Come one guys, these games need work to put into them. Play Eve Online, its 10 times more complicated than this here. Even the best tutorials wont help there because people wont read them anyway...
Have some rep! Good info for the beginner CMDRs.

Aside from the fairly steep learning curve comes a slow progression system. I too felt weak and underpowered when starting out. Getting your first million is a challenge, mainly because so few missions are open to you yet, and you need to pick your targets when attacking NPC's. Still, I had no real issues getting the 40.000 required for a basic Eagle. Just pick cargo or data transfer missions that are close by when you can, and use the commodities market top right tab to see the import / export data of your target system (once available). Load up cargo with as much legal exportable items as you can carry. Rinse repeat, within a few missions you'll be zooming around in a cheap Eagle.

The issue with a lot of these guides is they are really designed for people that already have disposable income or have a firm understanding of the basics already.

In the very beginning starting from zero the most important thing to me is just to do missions. this helps you get used to the controls and the basics. Find a heavy populated system and just do missions for the same factions to increase your faction rep with them. As you increase your faction rep/rank the missions pay out more. I'd say do this at a base where you want to get rep to unlock faction specific ships since they are behind rank walls. You can tell you are ranking up with the little faction bar that shows when you complete a mission or in the system tab. once you get friendly/allied the ships and stations will turn green on the radar. This is also helpful because when you are allied often the police ships dont scan you when you come to a station.

Another important thing to do is when you goto a system that you are going to grind in land on a station there before you start running them. If you die it spawns you at the last station you last landed at which could be very far away.

Its important to recognize that the different factions are sometimes competing with each other so just picking missions randomly will keep your rep from going up since you gain rep with one faction then do a mission for their enemy and it reduces your rep with them.

Usually you want to do the missions for factions that are aligned with a power (Fed, Empire, Alliance) preferably the controlling faction and generally their enemies are the criminal factions (with names that say 'Mafia', 'Pirates' etc) You can check their status with each other in the system tab.

As your rank and rep increases so do the mission payouts.

I mostly currently do bulletin board missions for cash and mostly fly small ships. (Right now flying a keelback) But I can easily pick up 3-4 missions from one station now that pay out $300-500k or more each that are one hop drop off trade missions. I also do a lot of planetary scanning and salvage missions.

So its not 'ZOMG $70mil/hr BECOMEZ DA BAZILLION IN MINUTS!!' but I can easily average $1mil/jump just doing BB missions hopping station to station and this is with no combat involved since I mostly trade and most of my ships dont even have weapons. I'm kind of a casual player but I average like $10/mil day playing 2-3 hours a day since I work during the week. Over time it definitely piles up and it also helps me keep from getting burned out.

For me starting out combat missions arent necessarily the best way to make your 'working' buffer money. not saying bounty hunting isnt profitable because it is. But the problem with combat in the beginning is you make money then die so you are taking two steps forward one step back. Its also why I dont really fly the big ships a lot unless its a CG or something. My A-rated T6 has a $378K rebuy as compared to my T-9 which is like $8mil. $378K is one BB mission. $8Mil is a days worth of work setback. My method is a I have multiple single role small ships to minimize losses if I die. So I have a mining T6, a cargo T6, a multirole Keelback, an Asp for Exploring, a Cobra III for smuggling, a Viper for pew pewing.

I also think its good to try out all the basic job roles in the game on small ships to get an understanding of how the mechanics work. Mining, exploring, combat, salvaging, smuggling, passengers. Learn to use limpets, refineries, discovery scanners, interdictors, wake scanners, etc.

This playstyle isnt for everyone since a lot of people play the game mostly to shoot stuff and theres nothing wrong with that. But using this method you can actually accumulate some cash to buy a combat ship then shoot stuff when you want to and trade or do other stuff when you want to. The big ships will come over time.

Reading the forums it kind of makes you want to rush to a big ship. But the thing about the big ship is they are just like luxury cars. They cost a lot to buy initially, but that doesnt include all the upgrades or the maintenance on them thats the hidden cost. Just having a big ship with low rating is worse than having a small ship with A ratings for me. The Anaconda is base $146M but with decent rated modules its pushing $500M+

I suggest working up to a Cobra since its a really versatile ship that can be a workhorse. It has decent hardpoints, can carry cargo, has a good jump range and is fast for smuggling.

Once you master that ship the rest will come.

Also use these websites they are really helpful (none are mine BTW credit due to their creators):

the wiki to understand stuff:

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite_Dangerous_Wiki

Shipyard configurators to see what builds look like and what they will cost:

http://www.edshipyard.com/

https://coriolis.io/

note: when buying ships or components always buy them from a station exploited by Li Yong Rui. His stations provide a 15% discount on ships and their parts.

EDDB database:

https://eddb.io/
Its like the traders' bible really helpful to find stations, commodities, trade routes anything really.

Elite Chat a chat channel where you can ask experienced players questions in real-time:
https://discordapp.com/channels/147037103434235904/147037103434235904

https://inara.cz/galaxy/
Another good overall database especially for engineering

I'm writing this because I often take extended breaks from ED to play other games and I constantly have to 'relearn' to play which is what I'm kinda doing at the moment just started playing again 2 weeks ago.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
I watched all 3 videos, as I was at a complete loss for finding ways to make credits just starting out this week. With only a 4 cargo limit and starter equipment, I was mainly limited to trading between stations while doing missions available to me. Issue with that is I might earn a max of 5-10k credits per mission (typically 2kish) and then a couple hundred creds from whatever I was able to trade between stations with my limited cargo capacity.

So I got myself an Adder and refitted my ship for combat, dropping all my mining equipment since mining turned out to be tediously slow, and the profits were garbage with the limited cargo capacity and refinery bins. The Collector drones helped but as they have a low lifespan and take cargo space, that was a bust too. Since it was the best all-around ship past the Sidewinder/Hauler/Eagle I could afford. I fitted it with 2 Pulse Lasers, and a Medium Gattling Gun. Got Point-Defense and Shield Boosts, along with upgrading my Shields, Power plant, drives, boosters, and anything else I could improve on, to make my ship as strong as I could, given my limited budget. Since you get back what you spend on modules, I figured it would be a good idea to do so while I grinded combat in these RES zones until I could save up the 2-3mil to begin trading more efficiently.

So after fitting my ship, I tried to use the method listed in the video, I even went to the same system/planet, found a High Intensity RES area, went in Solo mode, it was empty, for about 5-10 minutes. I thought I was doing something wrong but finally some ships started spawning in. After another 5 minutes some WANTED ships finally started showing up. I began tagging whatever I could.. most of the time it was just 1 ship, the most I've got tagged at once was 3 ships.

The issue I am having is sometimes I will have multiple ships tagged red, and even if the police blow them up, I am lucky to get credit for it. It seems like most of the time, unless I do 25%+ dmg to the ship, I won't get credit. Just tagging and waiting usually means I waste 10min while the police takes forever to kill them... but since I don't want to just sit there, and there is rarely more then a few ships, I will just fight whatever I can, and usually I'll get credit for whatever I am actively going after.

The thing that has me feeling like I am doing something wrong, is in the video, every few seconds you are getting credit for like 12k, 20k, and even a few 50-100k+ kills.. where I am getting no where near that. I'll shoot a sidewinder a few times, see an Adder thinking he'll be worth more. The police will kill the sidewinder and I will get 8k credits, while I'll go nuts on the Adder, and only get 800 credits for killing him.. I feel like I am spending more credits in Chaingun ammo then I get for killing these bounties. In fact, the reason I posted this is cause just a few minutes ago I found a Wanted Type-9 Heavy, killed it, and only got 400 credits... yes, four-hundred. What am I doing wrong here?

After about 2 hours of grinding I have only got about 100k worth of bounties. Yet while mission grinding I was able to get roughly about the same in that time-span, and even mining got me about 100k~ in just over an hour, despite how annoyingly tedious it was.

Am I doing something wrong? Or has things changed and there is a better alternative, or is there not one, and the devs wanted to slow things down?

Thanks for any help,
-Newb-in-Training, CMDR Stormshift

You are most likely not getting the bounties from the ships you tagged because you are not close enough to the ships when the police destroy them.

Top Bottom