PvP Behold, the great Fdev Ganker filter..

I'm suggesting/pondering on what could be done to make all CMDRs feel they can play in open rather than PG.
By making it more of a forced choice to go to open if you want to play the game in a certain way.

What would you say if somebody said that Solo/PG should get an advantage over Open in some way?

I really hate repeating myself, so this is the last time. This is in regard to the in-game mechanics, there's no reason to do any pvp(unless it's those friendly staged duels for some dumb reason) other than making the other person salty to some degree..whether you are intending for salt or not.

I really hate repeating myself, so this is the last time.

There are at least two reasons to do PvP in Elite Dangerous:
1: Fun.
2: Protection of Territory (see Phisto's Posts)

The statement "there's no reason to do PvP" may be true for you but it isn't true for thousands of other players.

What would you say if somebody said that Solo/PG should get an advantage over Open in some way?
They actually do have some advantages, all the time. Players in those modes can attack and undermine others in various ways (Powerplay, BGS) and there is nothing their opponents can do to directly stop those “attacks”, only respond in kind.

Overall from your comments, seems like you are pretty salty yourself and generally ignorant about Open, its players, or their motivations. The sooner you accept what Open in ED is, and how it will never be what you want it to be, the happier you’ll be. 🙂

Overall from your comments, seems like you are pretty salty yourself and generally ignorant about Open, its players, or their motivations. The sooner you accept what Open in ED is, and how it will never be what you want it to be, the happier you’ll be. 🙂
At least I'm not trying to ruin the game by restricting any content to 1 game mode

It's a game, you don't have to be sportsman about everything

I'm talking about adults displaying basic levels of decorum. You play a game, win or lose, be a good sport.

Surely you understand this?

At least I'm not trying to ruin the game by restricting any content to 1 game mode

You mentioned earlier about having your mind changed. Pretty clear you're not interested in that at all.

I'm talking about adults displaying basic levels of decorum. You play a game, win or lose, be a good sport.

Surely you understand this?
Yes. But it's best applied when there is competition. If this was a competitive-based game, I wouldn't be so harsh in that regard.

But it isn't, so therefor I am.

You mentioned earlier about having your mind changed. Pretty clear you're not interested in that at all.
I've not shown interest because I've yet to see anything that can change my mind. Just a bunch of mud-slinging on both sides tbh. I just want both to be integrated into the same gameplay for Open, while leaving Solo/PG alone. Leave them out of it, please.

Yes. But it's best applied when there is competition. If this was a competitive-based game, I wouldn't be so harsh in that regard.

But it isn't, so therefor I am.

I've not shown interest because I've yet to see anything that can change my mind. Just a bunch of mud-slinging on both sides tbh. I just want both to be integrated into the same gameplay for Open, while leaving Solo/PG alone. Leave them out of it, please.

Earlier you stated everyone engaging in PvP is only doing so to upset people. You've even gone so far as to say even if someone isn't intending to do that they're still guilty in your eyes. Despite several people speaking up and demonstrating your original statement is flat out wrong you prefer to live in the rhetorical prison you've built for yourself.

Let me break this down for the benefit of everyone else reading.

There is competition in Elite whether you like it or not. The mechanics of the game and the imagination of its players creates it. Open Play allows for unrestricted PvP. You can avoid participation in this by choosing PG or Solo. Powerplay and BGS activities are shared across the modes. With all this in mind, players play Elite in all sorts of ways for all sorts of motivations. Saying people only engage on competition in order to upset people, whether or not they even intend it, is one of the stupidest things I've read all week.

What would change your mind on this matter? Anything? Because if you can't answer that question, please do all us all a favor: uninstall Elite and never haunt this forum again.

Earlier you stated everyone engaging in PvP is only doing so to upset people. You've even gone so far as to say even if someone isn't intending to do that they're still guilty in your eyes. Despite several people speaking up and demonstrating your original statement is flat out wrong you prefer to live in the rhetorical prison you've built for yourself.

Let me break this down for the benefit of everyone else reading.

There is competition in Elite whether you like it or not. The mechanics of the game and the imagination of its players creates it. Open Play allows for unrestricted PvP. You can avoid participation in this by choosing PG or Solo. Powerplay and BGS activities are shared across the modes. With all this in mind, players play Elite in all sorts of ways for all sorts of motivations. Saying people only engage on competition in order to upset people, whether or not they even intend it, is one of the stupidest things I've read all week.

What would change your mind on this matter? Anything? Because if you can't answer that question, please do all us all a favor: uninstall Elite and never haunt this forum again.
I said that the reasoning behind the current PvP in non-staged occurences results in mostly that.

Also there is no competition in Elite for everybody, just because you want to be #1 doesn't mean that everybody else is trying to knock you off your pole position.

I can make my game how I deem, no matter if it's open or not.

The Idea that there should be a PvP only Open and a No PvP open has been around for a long time. When it gets brought up by PvEers it gets ridiculed. That is the whole point of my post.
The suggestion you're replying to isn't quite the same suggestion, though it's also not going to happen.

"No PvP" Open is basically impossible - there's just too many ways to affect another player if you share an instance. The possibilities of ramming alone add up to a lot. You basically get "no PvP" by only instancing with people you trust not to attack you, and there's already a method or two for that.

This suggestion is to have:
1) "Solo/PG/Open" as now, PvP allowed in PG and Open as usual, but the expectation of the proponents of this idea is that most of the PvPers would move over to ...
2) An entirely separate "Open" which has a hard fork of the entire BGS and Powerplay infrastructure, entirely separate CMDR accounts, etc. PvP also allowed in this Open. Players in this mode would know for certain that no-one was playing the game in another mode where they couldn't be seen or attacked. (Though they would need a cross-platform player group still, to cover all of that)

It'll also never happen, but that's because there's no way Frontier will want the considerable expense of maintaining and supporting (and rebalancing, since player activity patterns will be very different) a second set of BGS servers, for the benefit of maybe a few thousand hardcore PvPers [1], rather than it being impossible as a matter of game design.

[1] It's worth noting that the main CQC Discord has about 2,500 people signed up to it. The GCI server has 1,800 ... the PvP League had about 500 ... the new ECCE one has got about 600 very quickly. The CQC Discord is older than the others, which explains a bit of the difference, and plenty of players of both don't use Discord at all, but broadly it's fair to say that serious main-game PvP is about as popular as CQC [2]. If they won't do the comparatively small amount of work needed to give CQCers the Taipan, they're certainly not going to spin up an entire separate copy of the game's server infrastructure for PvPers.
[2] Which, yes, makes the common PvEer complaint that PvPers didn't take up the opportunity of CQC a bit silly. Plenty of them did - just not all of them were looking for that particular style of fighting.

At some point the exploration mechanic changed, and it meant I was no longer able to enjoy exploration in this game.

I started playing other games. Is this option not available for PvPers?

Gankers gank because they enjoy ganking. If they enjoyed challenging gameplay, they wouldn't be ganking. If they desire more content, they wouldn't be repeating the same over and over again.

Bored of Elite's PvP gameplay? Play another game. Enjoy ganking? Go ahead and gank. But for the love of Zeus, drop the victim of circumstance mentality. It clashes with the bad boy portrayal.

You squeeze the trigger. You are responsible. Not Frontier. Not other players.

The suggestion you're replying to isn't quite the same suggestion, though it's also not going to happen.

"No PvP" Open is basically impossible - there's just too many ways to affect another player if you share an instance. The possibilities of ramming alone add up to a lot. You basically get "no PvP" by only instancing with people you trust not to attack you, and there's already a method or two for that.

This suggestion is to have:
1) "Solo/PG/Open" as now, PvP allowed in PG and Open as usual, but the expectation of the proponents of this idea is that most of the PvPers would move over to ...
2) An entirely separate "Open" which has a hard fork of the entire BGS and Powerplay infrastructure, entirely separate CMDR accounts, etc. PvP also allowed in this Open. Players in this mode would know for certain that no-one was playing the game in another mode where they couldn't be seen or attacked. (Though they would need a cross-platform player group still, to cover all of that)

It'll also never happen, but that's because there's no way Frontier will want the considerable expense of maintaining and supporting (and rebalancing, since player activity patterns will be very different) a second set of BGS servers, for the benefit of maybe a few thousand hardcore PvPers [1], rather than it being impossible as a matter of game design.

[1] It's worth noting that the main CQC Discord has about 2,500 people signed up to it. The GCI server has 1,800 ... the PvP League had about 500 ... the new ECCE one has got about 600 very quickly. The CQC Discord is older than the others, which explains a bit of the difference, and plenty of players of both don't use Discord at all, but broadly it's fair to say that serious main-game PvP is about as popular as CQC [2]. If they won't do the comparatively small amount of work needed to give CQCers the Taipan, they're certainly not going to spin up an entire separate copy of the game's server infrastructure for PvPers.
[2] Which, yes, makes the common PvEer complaint that PvPers didn't take up the opportunity of CQC a bit silly. Plenty of them did - just not all of them were looking for that particular style of fighting.

Actually what you describe is exactly what others have suggested in the Hotel California and its other mega threads regarding solo/open/pg no difference except who is suggesting it.
One of the big complaints when others have suggested it is "Why do you want to make us some kind of second class citizen pushing us off into another location" and "We already have an open PvP you mad bro?"
The current suggestion just drips of hypocrisy. The arguments against also havent changed and as suggested by FDEV themselves its not easily possible so its all a mute point anyway.
Personally I think its fine as it is.
If you want to Gank fine just own up to it and dont blame circumstance for what you like, there is little to no shame in enjoying your activities in a game. Why do some feel the need to justify their actions? Have fun, play the game. If you are not having fun try something else.

Is there an open world game which is the shining example of PvP done well?

Doesn't have to be a space game, just any MMO game which allows, perhaps even forces, PvP.

ever heard about "world of warcraft"?

... plus several hundred others after that one.
Yeah, of course I heard about it. But didn't know whether the PvP content is deemed any good.

I'm guessing of those several hundreds of others a few have to stand out as having particular good PvP content. I'm looking for the PvP shinies.

Planetside 2 is probably the best example of an open world MMO PVP game, no PVE at all.

Darkfall online, you could attack anyone anywhere and if you died your whole inventory fell on the ground for anyone to pick up.

Age of Conan, PVP everywhere without restrictions, wanna gank someone doing business at the auction house? Sure, go ahead!

Ultima Online, hell yeah.

etc etc etc..

Heck, I completely forgot about Sea of Thieves.

But for the love of Zeus

i always knew there was something fishy about you ... :ROFLMAO:

you're totally right. i'm not justifying the "ganking is all that's left" meme, at all. but there is a point to be made against marketing this game as pvp ready. it's a joke. and it doesn't need to be perfect, just working. see, "world of warcraft" can be liked or disliked but is a perfect example of a curated pvp open world environment. it isn't rocket science, it just has to be taken into account. "all modes are equal" is just nonsense. i can't even ...

Top Bottom