Best day and time for CQC

DM can change very quickly though. Just played 2 rounds, in the first one I was temporarily attacked by at least 3 commanders at once and made the second last place at the end of the round. In the next round (same players) I tried something different (switching to FA On occasionally, something I'm really not used to) and managed to kill 3 players in a row before I lost. Big progress, at some time I even was leading, but only made it to 3rd place in the end. This is awesome, but I also feel I'm too old for this stuff, too much adrenaline so I can't play much in a row. Anyway, got a full arena and think younger people just must love it!
My strategy is if I find myself being teamed up on, I'll just find a place to hide out for a little bit, and eventually they get bored and start shooting at each other. Then I come back and play while they are distracted. That's one of the things I learned that helped me with CQC - it's as much a game of hide-n-seek as it is shoot and be shot at.

I'm beginning to think I need a proper HOTAS. Playing with DS4* is giving me hand cramps and clearly has me at a disadvantage. The inability to quickly throttle and select targets without taking my thumb of the stick is a serious handicap. I don't have this problem in "regular" Elite, as it's nowhere near as fast paced.

I actually do have a flight stick with a throttle on the side. It doesn't have enough buttons for me to prefer it over DS4 for the main game, but since I don't need landing gear and cargo scoops and all that other crap (and headlook is now taken care of by VR), I might configure specifically for CQC! That'll be a crazy learning curve, LOL. Don't make fun of my flying!

*PS4 controller

I think most of the CQC Elite players use HOTAS. But it's just the preference, it doesn't give any advantage or disadvantage in cqc over keyboard+mouse or console controller.

Last edited:
I think most of the CQC Elite players use HOTAS. But it's just the preference, it doesn't give any advantage or disadvantage in cqc over keyboard+mouse or console controller.
People say that, but a HOTAS would give ME an advantage over DS4, just like VR gives me a huge advantage over 2D. 🤷

ps - You killed me!!!

The inability to quickly throttle and select targets without taking my thumb of the stick is a serious handicap.
My english is bad. and maybe you do not really understand.

Is it impossible to assign a target capture to clicking (push) on a stick? 2 sticks, or is something more important on both of you?

My english is bad. and maybe you do not really understand.

Is it impossible to assign a target capture to clicking (push) on a stick? 2 sticks, or is something more important on both of you?
My stick buttons are reserved for boost and FA-toggle, both of which are more important to me than targeting, yes. The ability to target a ship on radar that I'm not currently pointing at is nice as I can select said target without having to keep a thumb on the stick to keep that target in focus for the lock. This is in regular ED, so why not CQC?

My stick buttons are reserved for boost and FA-toggle, both of which are more important to me than targeting, yes. The ability to target a ship on radar that I'm not currently pointing at is nice as I can select said target without having to keep a thumb on the stick to keep that target in focus for the lock. This is in regular ED, so why not CQC?
If I understand you correctly, this was done specifically for playing with CQC so that ships can hide.

there is no 'next target' feature in CQC if that's what you mean, nor 'highest threat'.

Seems odd at first and more than annoying in a 2-3 person game where you just look for each other constantly but it must have a reason, maybe as suggested so they can 'hide'.

Does Voice Attack work in CQC (or whatever its called)? Just wondering.

I absolutely love CQC, though I am hopeless.....I love the fact that it’s just madcap destruction, don’t care for combat in the main game much. I tend to drink way too much when playing...it’s a good thing there’s not ‘chat’ option as I am either sweary or laughing like an idiot! It’s only since getting oculus that it’s really grabbed me, superb in VR. I can wholeheartedly recommend the x52pro for this aspect of the game, full range throttle setting. Previously I used an Xbox one controller. Switching from FA off to on leaves the throttle who knows where on a Xbox controller, with a full range throttle you pretty soon get some kinky moves.....depending on how much scotch is left in my bottle anyway..see you all in CQC, I BLOODY LOVE IT!

Switching from FA off to on leaves the throttle who knows where on a Xbox controller, with a full range throttle you pretty soon get some kinky moves...
(sorry for my english.)

Maybe the question is not entirely in the subject, but I have not been studying FAOFF for some time. When controlling the mouse, you can turn on auto-centering (yes, after that it is inconvenient to turn it with FAON and you need to constantly raise the mouse and move the mouse), but in FAOFF mode it becomes VERY simply aiming. HIGHLY.
This gives a big advantage compared to the joystick and game pad in the FAOFF mode.

To make it clearer about what I'm writing, try turning on the turret mode and driving the turret through the mouse in the SRV when driving!

Is CQC still a thing? I've tried it on and off for the past twelve months and it never matches.

Am expecting it to be another of the things being "temporarily" shelved to make way for the ED Rapture.
They fixed CQC on PS4 and I get into a match within seconds now every time. I've been playing at three or four different times a day for the last 4 days

Switching from FA off to on leaves the throttle who knows where on a Xbox controller

Where it sets the throttle when you re-engage will always depend on your momentum.
Based on the orientation of your ship, if you are traveling backwards it will set the throttle to reverse - in line with how fast you were traveling that direction.

One thing to note is that the speed boosts in the maps can be quite neat to experiment with... they will always give a huge speed boost according to your throttle setting when flying through it.

For example... you can boost toward a speed boost powerup and set your throttle to full reverse before hitting it... then super boost backwards. This is fun if someone is chasing you and can allow you to reverse the situation.

The speed powerups will also effect FAOff maneuvers... so for instance... fly/boost through and toggle off FA and then use vertical thrusters for a super vertical zoom, etc.

Ice Field is a good map to test on because it is so large and it has two of the speed powerups.

At any rate... glad u are having a good time... all the best on your flights! o7

A trick I use on PS4 for turning flight assist off and back on is, I have the touch pad set for throttle hotkeys. Top right is 100% forward, bottom right is 50% forward top left is full stop and bottom left is 75% reverse. It saves me the trouble of gradual throttle increase or even increments. It's actually really useful for doing hundred and eighty degree loop turns without flight assist off to as you start to pull back can you switch to 75% reverse until you're about halfway through the turn then kick it back into full throttle forward

That sounds like a nice setup, mick...

I've been using the elite controller on xbox since I broke my original controller playing cqc, lol.
The paddles on the bottom of the elite have been really nice for the throttle.

I do have FA On/Off setup as a single button toggle.. and I do have a button for 'set speed to zero' - both of those being integral to my style of flying...

I've seen some guys become really skilled and ultra dangerous in cqc using the hotas setup. I'm sure that took a good amount of practice. Sadly, their units haven't aged well, so they aren't in rounds much lately.

I have a hotas but it likes to drift to the left I think I need an alignment. sad thing is I think I paid like 50 bucks for it and only got about a week and a half out of it before it started doing that. it's no problem if I'm just running Corey emissions or cargo but it becomes a hinderance in PV e-comm bat and I can only imagine would be terrible in PvP because of it. I wish Sony would let other flight stick brands be used. I've seen an amazing Logitech one I don't know if it's any good cuz I've never used it but it looks dope

Last edited:
A trick I use on PS4 for turning flight assist off and back on is, I have the touch pad set for throttle hotkeys. Top right is 100% forward, bottom right is 50% forward top left is full stop and bottom left is 75% reverse. It saves me the trouble of gradual throttle increase or even increments. It's actually really useful for doing hundred and eighty degree loop turns without flight assist off to as you start to pull back can you switch to 75% reverse until you're about halfway through the turn then kick it back into full throttle forward
I liked YOUR idea of fixed speed. +1 But speed is still the position of YOUR ship in space.
But what about the sight? How on a joystick or gamepad will autocenter like a mouse?

Top Bottom