Patch Notes Update Beyond 3.0 Beta 2 Incoming

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I like new engineers and security system, good job finally. I wish for more tools for non-RES bounty hunters with support from system security, like for example information about crimes against players in all systems except anarchy.

Last edited:
If it helps, I found 33 Antimony quite quickly (half a tank of SRV fuel) in Metallic Meteorites, and the odd Mesosiderite on planet Strauss, in the Fomalhaut system not so long ago (Now the Beta 1 materials shuffle was fixed in Beta 2) and the rest of the planets in that system usually have pretty impressive yields as well. Have you found any Rhenium yet? The pristine Metallic rings of Delkar 7 didn't seem to drop any at all in Beta 1 and I haven't been back there since because you mentioned Boron was also missing and the drop rate on Lead was very low in an earlier post (I think it was you?).

I was also looking for HGE USS in Nanomam earlier and it seemed the spawn rate had improved considerably?

Regarding the variable upgrade RNG, may I suggest for logistical supply planning that the RNG factor may as well be removed completely since the result will always be the same so, for a brand new engineer (or pinned recipe at any other station) it always takes exactly 3,3,3 and 3 rolls to achieve G1-4 like it used to, and maybe 6 rolls to fully max G5.

For a pre-maxed engineer that is already at G5, may I suggest the perfectly logical and organic "Golden Mean" or "Fibonacci" sequence of 1,1,2,3,5 for G1 through G5 respectively (8 rolls to max G6 if its ever introduced). This would remove another point of frustration - Thinking you have enough mats to complete a job, but then you don't, and have to go find more.

Regardless of whether you harvest or swap them it's still annoying if you expected to finish something before bed time...

[Edit: Work tomorrow, it's 1am now I should be able to finish off this job and still wake up on time... WHAT! I'm out of mats again!? OMG! *Throws mouse at monitor and logs off in disgust* Has a bad sleep and shows up for work really grumpy... "Shut it Spaceloach, who asked you!"]

I just hit bad luck with the metallic meteorite spawn rate. Only found two the entire time I was prospecting. I think one of my antimony drops was from that, one was from a metallic outcrop and the other was from a Mesosiderite. I knew what to look for on the scanner, it just wasn't showing up.

I did find at least one Rhenium while mining. I don't know if I found any more though because I had bought some at the mat trader before hand. But it wasn't a common drop I know that.

As for the HGE, I found the spawn rate to be average. It really depends on the population of the system, which is great if you need some boom materials as ultra high pop systems are often in boom. Not so great if you are looking for civil unrest materials.

Edit: I'm going to try and prospect again but on a higher g planet as they are easier to travel on. I'll post the results in this thread, but I still think the trade rates need to be brought way up.

Last edited:
Edit: I'm going to try and prospect again but on a higher g planet as they are easier to travel on. I'll post the results in this thread, but I still think the trade rates need to be brought way up.

2 hours later and I've found 4 more Antimony drops, on a planet with 1.4% antimony. Only found one metallic meteor, it didn't even drop any! I know this is probably bad luck, but it's a great example of why Fdev need to revamp the current mat trader so I would be able to trade all the mats I did collect (a lot) for antimony at a reasonable rate.

Love the engineering Changes, this is exactly what I wanted. Also like the fact that asteroids drop more mats, can you be specific on what the increase was percentage wise?

2 hours later and I've found 4 more Antimony drops, on a planet with 1.4% antimony. Only found one metallic meteor, it didn't even drop any! I know this is probably bad luck, but it's a great example of why Fdev need to revamp the current mat trader so I would be able to trade all the mats I did collect (a lot) for antimony at a reasonable rate.

I should mention that after this post I found 5 Antimony drops within 10 minutes. RNG amiright? Anyway, my point still stands that the mat trader needs to be buffed... It should have provided a buffer against this sort of rng trolling by allowing me to trade the materials I had collected out for what I was looking for at a reasonable rate.

I should mention that after this post I found 5 Antimony drops within 10 minutes. RNG amiright? Anyway, my point still stands that the mat trader needs to be buffed... It should have provided a buffer against this sort of rng trolling by allowing me to trade the materials I had collected out for what I was looking for at a reasonable rate.

i think FDev only needs to make an ingame encyclopedia that explains where you can find the materials.
a planet is big, and i found the internet not very helpfull at telling me, if a material is an outcrop, a meterite or something else.
then they make the planet color indicate what will be seeded there, but hey, i am not a geologist...

in Q4 they will make surface details even less "random", but hopefully also include the information INGAME what it means regarding resource collection.

i think FDev only needs to make an ingame encyclopedia that explains where you can find the materials.
a planet is big, and i found the internet not very helpfull at telling me, if a material is an outcrop, a meterite or something else.
then they make the planet color indicate what will be seeded there, but hey, i am not a geologist...

in Q4 they will make surface details even less "random", but hopefully also include the information INGAME what it means regarding resource collection.

Currently the surface features and colouring bear no relation to where outcrops or meteorites can be found. It's pure rng.

The most effective place to look is the flattest one where you can zip between the various signals the fastest.

Hopefully that will change by the end of the year.

Currently the surface features and colouring bear no relation to where outcrops or meteorites can be found. It's pure rng.

The most effective place to look is the flattest one where you can zip between the various signals the fastest.

Hopefully that will change by the end of the year.

source?
because to my knowlege and experience, AND what devs said about the color change in the Q1 anouncement, that is not true

source?
because to my knowlege and experience, AND what devs said about the color change in the Q1 anouncement, that is not true

The colour change should give you an idea of what materials you will find on the planet. They do not tell you where. The where part might be in Q4 I guess.

source?

As riverside says watch the stream where they talk about it, the colour is about what mats you'll find on the planet as a whole, not where. They specifically don't talk about material distribution.

You asked for a source and honestly the source is that I can't give you one, either to confirm or deny what I've said. Why? Because fdev have never openly talked about how materials are distributed on a planet (that I know of, I'd love to be proven wrong but I've watched a lot of streams and read a lot of updates since launch)

FDev are, for the most part, very canny with their marketing. If they did have a clever mat procgen distribution they would talk about it openly and advertise it and they don't. The next time they stream ask them, see what they say.

My experience is that I'll find groups of MMs in the middle of plains as readily as I do in or around craters, but driving on flat ground is much faster, and that going to the same place repeatedly gives different results.

As an aside, in the early days of horizons many clever Cmdrs tried to find a pattern, spreadsheet and all, they couldn't see a consistent one. If one Cmdr gets a rich drop and another visits the exact same location they'll get a different result. Eg. Cmdr DrKaii did this before the first distant worlds expedition for arsenic and loads of Cmdrs got hardly any.

Last edited:
When is Frontier going to fix the galaxy/system map bug so the popup box will center on the selected system/body on ultra wide monitors instead of being offset by 1, 2 or more inches to either side?

This bug was reported in previous beta's and is still not fixed after a year or more.

Really Frontier, I would like to know why a bug over a year old has not been fixed for Beta 3.0.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/393501-System-Map-Pop-up-position-fault

For 3.0 this bug just gets the same old tired response. "We know about it and are looking into it."

I feel that the new concept to engineering is off...

I like the QOL parts like better materials management and blueprint pinning, etc, but the result of changes to the core concept to get engineered means actually MORE grind just to engineer each component, grade by grade, meaning the new material storage is actually necessary to partially engineer a ship.

Previously, the result of engineering looks like a prototype component that is unique. With this new system, basically everyone seems to get the simlar end results, it feels like just another way of buying the best out there with a different currency (materials & data instead of credits). It feels like sending your car to a tuning garage and paying for Level X upgrade with gauranteed results, instead of pushing the limits of the component to get unique positive AND negative effects.

The so called GOD rolls previously are just a result of determined grinding to exploit a bad implementation of RNG to get extreme results. A filter or tweak to reduce/balance such extreme results would have moderated the concept such that players recognise that it is fruitless to grind.

With 3.0, non-engineered ships seems to be looking less and less viable...

But I could be wrong...

PS: Yeah, insurance should never pay for engineered components...

Clever isn't predictable.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. EDIT: Unless you're saying that it can be clever and random, which is my point, that it's random.

They won't tell you how to find resources.

That's a strawman, it isn't what I'm saying.

What I would expect them to do is talk about the method of material distribution, a sort of "This is roughly how it works mechanically, you figure out the details of where everything is" kind of thing. They've never done that.

Last edited:
Hi.
Any noise on a beta 3?. 2 has been out a while now am just wondering if it is likely there will be another or if it's getting close to release?

Hi.
Any noise on a beta 3?. 2 has been out a while now am just wondering if it is likely there will be another or if it's getting close to release?

Beta 3 is due today, running until FrIday. Aim is for it to be a release candidate. Next week for launch?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom