Patch Notes Update Beyond - Chapter Four 3.3 - Patch Notes

That sounds more like the new Composition scanner than the bombard the planet with probes from orbit of the new DSS.
OH I See - said the blind man as he bumbped into a lamppost while talking to his deaf daughter with a wooden leg....
So where do I buy a DSS then ??
M

I understand that this view may be seen as a little abrasive by a few/some/many/most/all players that aren't me but...
I do feel that the new Probe has fallen unseen into the same trap as the 'old' and rightly maligned (for it's god powers) ADS, you see, there is nothing to do after firing off those all seeing rockets, if they don't pick up anything then there's nothing on the planet, nothing!
Unless I'm very much mistaken and there's been changes since I last played some time ago, if ED were wishing to add a common feature to 'landable' planets at a later date they'd have to use unmapped planets.

Instead of 'BLONG' "you got it all" there should have been different modes/areas of detection, perhaps gravitic anomalies, electrical signals, radiation anomalies, peculiar mass readings, bio mass, anything that would give a different reading than expected from any of the probe drops, these should lead to a search area, some of the signals could be fluctuating and be very difficult to pin down with many of those unresolvable allowing the development of equipment over the course of ED updates (the years to come) which would see some of those things resolved.
So rather than a surefire "done" we could have 'X' amount of signals detected then broken down into their respective signal types and their location areas*, with the addition of "some unresolved signals"
Those unresolved signals would/could/should encompass the whole of 'that' particular probe area... thus ED would have an area of land to knock up anything they wished to in the future for content on a previously mapped planet...

The question we don't want answered is "is that all there is"?

* Areas not postcodes, like the blue circle of where the hell is it!

Last edited:
Not sure if you know what you are talking about or if you even still compare old with new. In the old system the main reason for explorers to travel around in SC was surface scanning which now has been replaced by the new surface scanner and its (way more potent) 'mapping' function. Both new and old system still need you to travel to the planets you want to map/scan.

Yeah, but I think you misunderstand a little of what he means in his aggrieved post.

Before, if you wanted the stats on a planet you had to go to it... 300,000ls for example, and while you're there (if you could) you might land.
Now you don't have to go out there to get that info, so unless you wanted to map the body you wouldn't be anywhere near it.

It's kinda like, you can do all that you did before 'except land' without even moving now, (gold bars for standing still) but if you want to do more then you have to visit like you used to.

Before, if you wanted the stats on a planet you had to go to it... 300,000ls for example, and while you're there (if you could) you might land.
Now you don't have to go out there to get that info, so unless you wanted to map the body you wouldn't be anywhere near it.

It's kinda like, you can do all that you did before 'except land' without even moving now, (gold bars for standing still) but if you want to do more then you have to visit like you used to.

You did sum that up vey well :0

Nowadays the only reason you might wish to fly those 430,000 Ls out to a planet is that you now know if there is something worth spending the time in SC to go there for.

The only thing taken away is the drudgery of flying in SC for many 1000's of Ls to find that interesting body just happens to be a dirty ice ball :) (done that one a few times...)

That's the point. In the old system experience would tell me not to fly this 430,000 Ls just on spec while now the infos I get by the FSS tells me a lot more about that planet and if it's worth to go that long travel or not. So telling the new system is for the lazy explorer who doesn't want to fly around anymore just doesn't compute - not in my case at least.

My words. I scanned 600 systems since the release of 3.3 and i have mapped more than just a few... so far, most of my cash from 4 years of playing comes from exploration and the way it has changed is very positive. I can get infos and identify good targets. I can even see, if there is something on the surface or not. Traveling a few 100kls for a good view was and never will be too much work for a true explorer. Honestly... i love the new system :).

+1 to issues with the Transaction Server disconnecting and booting me from the game. Happens on *every* jump (whether system jump or super cruise).

DSS WHAT IS - WHERE IS - HOW TO i GET & USE

I am well confused - (mainly due to ano-domininae) but scanning a system seems to be the same except that the scanner seems to run
in the back ground and thus catches up and overtakes me scannin 'the old way' .
There seems to be a DSS available - but I've not seen it in the shops anywhere here in Colonia, Is this only available in the bubble - like new class of ships, armaments, Engineer upgrades and A/B class modules ?
Mijk
P.S. the NPCs have the upgrades, weapons & shields that I can't find - even running is likely to end up blown up - NPC's seem to have chaff negators fitted as standard.
Bah Humbug as the man said

Last edited:
I am well confused - (mainly due to ano-domininae) but scanning a system seems to be the same except that the scanner seems to run
in the back ground and thus catches up and overtakes me scannin 'the old way' .
There seems to be a DSS available - but I've not seen it in the shops anywhere here in Colonia, Is this only available in the bubble - like new class of ships, armaments, Engineer upgrades and A/B class modules ?
Mijk
P.S. the NPCs have the upgrades, weapons & shields that I can't find - even running is likely to end up blown up - NPC's seem to have chaff negators fitted as standard.
Bah Humbug as the man said

eddb says Ogmar, Ratraii, Deriso are worth trying for DSS https://eddb.io/station (you can also find most modules grade B if you try)

There is a new scanning system, but it's easy not to notice if you're travelling in systems people have already explored and sold the data for. Check youtube for instructions on the FSS (full spectrum system scanner, yes that's one more S than the abbreviation), e.g. Obsidian Ant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A8HvjEidNA
If you hit a previously unexplored system then your system map will be blank, you have to do a discovery scanner honk and then you can identify the bodies using the FSS minigame, or fly towards them in the usual way (I'm not sure if they're available as unexplored targets in the nav panel, though, so avoiding the FSS may require looking for bodies by parallax). If the system was explored by someone else then your system map will show all bodies (at least, of the stuff they scanned) the same way it used to, with the minor change that you don't need to honk to get that anymore.

eddb says Ogmar, Ratraii, Deriso are worth trying for DSS https://eddb.io/station (you can also find most modules grade B if you try)

There is a new scanning system, but it's easy not to notice if you're travelling in systems people have already explored and sold the data for. Check youtube for instructions on the FSS (full spectrum system scanner, yes that's one more S than the abbreviation), e.g. Obsidian Ant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A8HvjEidNA
If you hit a previously unexplored system then your system map will be blank, you have to do a discovery scanner honk and then you can identify the bodies using the FSS minigame, or fly towards them in the usual way (I'm not sure if they're available as unexplored targets in the nav panel, though, so avoiding the FSS may require looking for bodies by parallax). If the system was explored by someone else then your system map will show all bodies (at least, of the stuff they scanned) the same way it used to, with the minor change that you don't need to honk to get that anymore.

Ah - Thank you. Will look in the bindings to C if they have slipped them in when I wasn't looking...
The Black Stony Ant does not ring my bell, so I don't look for the latest from there - in fact I don't haunt UT as I find it full of small puffed up knowItAlls - not my bag - as I know much more than them but don't tout my ignorance world wide ;-)
M

Last edited:
Thank you FDEV - my ragbag higgaldypigaldy list of "Stored Modules" has suddenly and magically become sorted and ordered THANK YOU.
Mijk

Hello
I have noticed the promotion animations, in coming messages, has been blank ?

Is there a setting I am missing[big grin]

Thanx people

Top Bottom